Getting Upset- Need Suggestions Please

Business By Lenette Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 12:47pm by Deb_

Lenette Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 14

I have been asking my husband to update my website for 6 months now! Seriously, 6 months and it's still not done! All he has to do is update the pics at this point and he just won't get it done!

I am getting upset because brides are starting to look (and book) for next year and my site hasn't been updated since this time last year. He designed my site from scratch and it is really nice, I get a lot of compliments on it. Not to sound braggy but I have the nicest site of any baker around here and being home- based (licensed) that is essential for me.

Sorry to rant but I am getting pi**ed at this point!

I don't know the language or program he used so I can't do it myself.

Can someone please suggest some where that I can get a nice template and good hosting so I can take care of this myself? Please!

I tried to search but I guess I am impatient because I am upset. If you can help I would appreciate it. Thanks!

13 replies
PatricesPieces Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 14

I understand how you feel. I was getting frustrated trying to get someone to help me build my website. I finally went to yahoo site builder and downloaded the program. The cost is minimal and the site is easy to use. You will be surprised how easy it is. And they have great support. I love having control of my own site. I update when I need to. It's a simple design, and they have lots of templates that you can choose from.

Good luck.....

pinkbox Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 14

I also have Yahoo Site Builder... phenominal customer service and EASY PEASY. I am not website saavy... but here is mine

I had it up and running in 1 day and have added to it as I went along

pinkbox Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 14

Here is the link.

best thing is its on your desktop and you can change it, tweak it, then when youre done publish it. So you dont have to "take your site down" for maintenence.

Good Luck.... and in your husbands defense.. (b/c mine did it before)... it is a pain and takes a lot of time... so his procrastination is a good thing... makes you more in control icon_smile.gif I love doing mine now.

PatricesPieces Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 14

I'm with you pinkbox. I was soooo intimidated by websites. I had no experience with them at all. Yahoo was the best. Lenette, you should try it. You will be sooo impressed with yourself and so much happier that you have control. Keep us updated.

3GCakes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 14

I wouldn't fret too much, unless your prices have changed. Margaret Braun hasn't updated her website in as long as I've been looking at it...Aimee Page hasn't either ( and she's one of my favorites....almost 2 years now, I think...

I wonder why that is?

FromScratch Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 14

I gave up on someone helping me too (my BIL) so I bought myself a template from BluDomain and it was the best thing I could have done for myself. (Actually my DH bought it for me after he saw me oohing and ahhing over it.. gotta love him)

It's beyond easy to set up.. nice and plug and play design. Easy to add pictures.. easy to edit text.. I swear a chimp could set it up. Their sites are reasonably priced too. I paid $100 for the template and $100/year for hosting. If you don't host with them the cost for the site is $200. Even at $200 it's worth it. My site is clean and professional and I love it. icon_smile.gif I highly recommend them.

Lenette Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 14

Thank you all for your replies. I did go to Yahoo but I can't do the site on there since I have a Mac and it only works on the Windows platform. Great idea though!

I will look into blu domain too. Thanks again!

MichelleM77 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 14

I'm a fan of . icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 14

I built my site with
Love it and EASY!

cakesbycathy Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 14

I'm all for taking the bull by the horns and doing it yourself, but the bigger issue is why after asking for 6 months your dh is still not helping you icon_confused.gif

Sounds like you really need to have a talk with dh and make it VERY clear that you need it updated by the end of the week. How are you asking him? Are you specifically stating what needs to be done or are you just mentioning it in passing? If it doesn't happen then you need to decide what you're going to do about it. Stop doing his laundry? Let him make his own meals? Whatever. If you need to change how you are asking, then do that. If he is just acting like a child and ignoring you, then decide if you're going to treat him like one.

This is not meant to come off as harsh (I'm irritated at my dh at the moment, so that may have something to do with it). But 6 months? Come on!

Good luck.

sweetcravings Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:05pm
post #12 of 14

Hmmm, I asked my DH, lets see...years ago, to design me a website being that he is very computer savey. I still don't have it! I would ask and ask him to do it for me and his response would be, "figure out what you want and i'll do it". Well, i did, and he didn't. So i decided to open up the free picasia picture sharing account. At least now i have my pictures online for people to see them. Frustrating absoulutely!!! I just wanted you to know that i've been there too.

cakesondemand Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 14

Thats family for you I have a son that is a software developer and he designed my site its like pulling teeth to get him to change anything so we made a flickr account with pictures that I can upload to and I just send my brides there if they want to see more pic. works great. My other son is an accountant CGA does my books when he gets around to it just in time for taxes the day before didn't raise them that way. Im afraid even if I pay them to do it won't be any better. My business is all in the family my dughter decorates with me she is great always done in time.

Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:47pm
post #14 of 14

I'll tell you what works for me when I've asked my DH to do something and he doesn't. I phone around for price quotes usually get 3 and leave the info. on the kitchen island where he can see it (or on the fridge). As soon as he sees what it's going to cost us if he doesn't do it himself, he usually gets right to it. icon_wink.gif

But having said all the other posts here that are waiting for family professionals to do work for them. I know how "they" feel. As a hairstylist, the last thing I want to hear when I get home from a long day on my feet is "Mom, Honey, etc....I need a haircut" icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif After doing it all day it's really not something I want to come home and do, so I'm sure that's how your family feels. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%