Oh My Gravy I Need Help! First Fondant Figure?

Decorating By lindsey312 Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm by lindsey312

lindsey312 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Guys! I am attempting my first fondant figure for my grandfather's 70th birthday cake, and am absolutely clueless as to all the little tips. I am going to try to make one of those golfer cakes, where the golfer is laying on the ground "blowing" the ball into the hole. First of all, I would like to use fondant, mixed with a little gumtex... will this work? Second, if I make each body part separately, do I use corn syrup, or just water to attach the pieces together?

I've seen some with eyes that look like they are painted on... how does one acheive that look?

Any help would be sooooo appreciated!! Thank so much!

3 replies
bashini Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Lindsey, I haven't used Gum Tex. I use CMC powder or Tylose powder. You can add 1/2 teaspoon of that to 250g of fondant. Or youalso can mix 50/50 Gumpaste and Fondant.

To attach the parts I use sugar glue. WHich is made out of water and CMC/ Tylose powder. Here is aine2's video on how to do that,

But I know some desolve some of the gumpaste in a bit of water and use that as a glue.

About how you do the eyes, here is another link for aine2's tutorial on how to make a face,

These helped me a lot. Hope it does to you too!

Meemawfish Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 4

Okay Lindsey, I'm going to try to help as much as I can but I've only did one and it was a lady in a bikini. I got so much help from a lady on here so maybe she will help you also. ( Sarsi where are you) icon_biggrin.gif Okay first of all I did the torso and legs together . What you do is take some fondant ( I used MMF) roll between your hands to make it look fat at the top and slender for the legs at the bottom and then take a knife and cut a slit up the bottom of the slender part to make the legs. Then bend the bottom of the legs up and flat to make the feet. You can also have the knees a little bent by pressing them in a little on each side. I hope this is making any kind of sense to you. For the arms I made like little logs and then rolled them between my hands for the length I wanted and made like a little tear drop shape at the bottom that I flattened out and cut fingers out of and shaped them. You can do like the knees and press them in about half down the arm for elbows. I connected these on with a dab of water because she was laying down anyway but you could also use speggetti noodles cut to the length you need just to insert into body and then arms. I made the head using an egg shaped ball elongated to make the neck and I used the speggetti noodle to secure on the body. I hope this helps you because like I said I'm new to the figurine stuff too. icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

lindsey312 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 4

you guys are so great!! Thank you so much for the tips-- can't wait to try them!!

If anyone else has any ideas please send them my way! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%