Got Any Good Cake Decorating Books To Recommend?

Decorating By KitchenWytch Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 8:44am by deetmar

KitchenWytch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenWytch Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:19am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any good cake decorating books to recommend?
For a new kid? Even some with recipes would be great. I just got the
"Cake Bible" one today and loving it!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:13am
post #2 of 10

well this is a thread we have had before and wow the lists are endles.. but a couple of my favs are Debbie Brown books, Carol Deacon, Maisie parish and Alan dunn but so many more and not enough pages... sorry ehehe

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:00am
post #3 of 10

i love elisa strauss' confetti cakes book (yummy banana cake & chocolate ganache recipes & more) & peggy porschen's pretty party cakes book(for a good poured fondant recipe). & also children party cakes by carol deacon thumbs_up.gif

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:32am
post #4 of 10

Debbie Brown fan here! I also have the Confetti Cake book too, it was my first one and I sat it back till now, but I think Debbi Browns instructions are simple and come out fantastic. Check her website and you can view all her books ! ( I think its just DebbieBrown .com )

KitchenWytch Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 10

Oh? Im sorry..can anyone direct me to the thread of list of good books
then?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 10

Here's a good thread...for good and bad books...opinions that is.
HTH!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584156.html

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 10

I have a Toba Garrett, Whimsical Bakehouse, Sylvia Weinstock, The Essential Cake Decorating Guide (great basic book), a few of Mary Ford books (I believe out of print- overpiping techniques), The Cake Book (great recipes), Professional Pastry Chef by Bo Friberg, The Cake Bible ( a must have)...

Debbie Brown is good if you do a lot of children's cakes and like to work mostly in fondant. I returned my copy.

Some like Colette Peters books....

KitchenWytch Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 10

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you guys! Going to write them down and go looking online etc.
Thank you-thank you! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 10

I was just looking at the The Essential Cake Decorating Guide. It looks really informative? Anyone have this, and what do you think?

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 8:44am
post #10 of 10

Lindy Smith, I have almost all of hers, plus, Debbie Brown, Peggy Porschen, Elise Straus, Love Martha Stewarts new one, not so much hot to's, but more beautiful pictures and recipes. I also have Michelle Fosters, Some Sugarcraft, all of Sugarshacks DVD's. Margaret Brauns, Cake Walk, was the first book I recieved. Collette Peters, Toba Garrett(sp). There are so many!

I usually got to Amazon and do a search on Cake Decorating, or Sugarcraft. There are sometimes good ones on ebay, but there is also alot of Wilton there.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%