Got Any Good Cake Decorating Books To Recommend?

Decorating By KitchenWytch Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 8:44am by deetmar

KitchenWytch Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:19am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any good cake decorating books to recommend?
For a new kid? Even some with recipes would be great. I just got the
"Cake Bible" one today and loving it!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Ariginal Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:13am
post #2 of 10

well this is a thread we have had before and wow the lists are endles.. but a couple of my favs are Debbie Brown books, Carol Deacon, Maisie parish and Alan dunn but so many more and not enough pages... sorry ehehe

bobhope Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:00am
post #3 of 10

i love elisa strauss' confetti cakes book (yummy banana cake & chocolate ganache recipes & more) & peggy porschen's pretty party cakes book(for a good poured fondant recipe). & also children party cakes by carol deacon thumbs_up.gif

SaraClassic Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:32am
post #4 of 10

Debbie Brown fan here! I also have the Confetti Cake book too, it was my first one and I sat it back till now, but I think Debbi Browns instructions are simple and come out fantastic. Check her website and you can view all her books ! ( I think its just DebbieBrown .com )

KitchenWytch Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 10

Oh? Im sorry..can anyone direct me to the thread of list of good books
then?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

jenlg Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 10

Here's a good thread...for good and bad books...opinions that is.
HTH!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584156.html

Jopalis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 10

I have a Toba Garrett, Whimsical Bakehouse, Sylvia Weinstock, The Essential Cake Decorating Guide (great basic book), a few of Mary Ford books (I believe out of print- overpiping techniques), The Cake Book (great recipes), Professional Pastry Chef by Bo Friberg, The Cake Bible ( a must have)...

Debbie Brown is good if you do a lot of children's cakes and like to work mostly in fondant. I returned my copy.

Some like Colette Peters books....

KitchenWytch Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 10

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you guys! Going to write them down and go looking online etc.
Thank you-thank you! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

seagoat Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 10

I was just looking at the The Essential Cake Decorating Guide. It looks really informative? Anyone have this, and what do you think?

deetmar Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 8:44am
post #10 of 10

Lindy Smith, I have almost all of hers, plus, Debbie Brown, Peggy Porschen, Elise Straus, Love Martha Stewarts new one, not so much hot to's, but more beautiful pictures and recipes. I also have Michelle Fosters, Some Sugarcraft, all of Sugarshacks DVD's. Margaret Brauns, Cake Walk, was the first book I recieved. Collette Peters, Toba Garrett(sp). There are so many!

I usually got to Amazon and do a search on Cake Decorating, or Sugarcraft. There are sometimes good ones on ebay, but there is also alot of Wilton there.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%