How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #91 of 883

Here ya go!

Simple Peppermint Patties:

3/4 cup condensed milk
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
4 cups 10x sugar

*In a large bowl combine milk & extract. I use a wooden/plastic spoon. NO MIXER!

*Mix in sugar one cup at a time to form a stiff dough - not sticky. All sugar is usually used.

*Flatten into circles of desired shape and put on wax paper. Wax paper works best but you can use alum. foil if necessary.

*Let air dry for 2 hours, turn over after first hour.

*I put them on a fresh sheet of wax paper (or turn the paper over) after the two hours. Then I put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes. This helps stiffen them so they aren't flimbsy (sp) in the chocolate.

*I then dip them in melted dark chocolate and refreeze until chocolate hardens. Wrap in foil squares. Can keep in fridge or on counter.

Remember the old York Peppermint Patty commercials where they cracked the patty in half and you heard the ''noise''? These do that too!

jenlg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:54am
post #92 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzycakes

Jenlg - Those are soooo cute!!! Would you mind sharing your process for doing chocolates with so many colors?

Patience is the number one thing! lol I actually use toothpicks, candy paint brushes, or lolli sticks for these. I just start putting the color in the detailed spots and then freeze the molds for just a minute or two. Then I'll add other colors and refreeze. Continuing the process until all details are done. I do it in stages so the colors don't ''bleed'' together. After all details are done and hardened I fill the entire mold with the desired flavored chocolate.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:00am
post #93 of 883

Hey all.
i have a couple of questions for you.
1 - when I have made white choc ganache, my ganache won't set. However, I used the same amount of white choc as I do brown choc. Do I need to double my white choc??? WTH???
2 - When I dip my cake balls in choc, the shell really is very crunchy. I would like to have a shell that isn't as thick, and is a bit softer. Can I mix in a wee bit of cream? Will this help???

I thought that I would differ to the experts in MAKING chocolate (I myself am more of an expert in EATING chocolate).

Oh and PS - when my DD was just a wee thing (about 3 years old) my MOM of all people told her that I wasn't married because I didn't make pie. I still wouldn't if it weren't for that darned pumpkin pie that I make for my DH every Thanksgiving!!! He eats the filling and leaves the crust behind. It's really THAT bad!!! Made with love, baby!!!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #94 of 883

Mommyle-

First that story about the pie cracks me up! Moms, gotta love 'em!

I know the ratio for a white chocolate ganache is different than the other chocolate. I'll pull out my book by Sherry Yard, I know there is info in there and PM it to you. May be tomorrow though.

And if you want to soften the shell on the cake balls you can add a little veg shortening when you melt the chocolate. That should help but just add a little.

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:12am
post #95 of 883

Oh, Lenette, Thank you so much! I will totally appreciate that. whenever you get to it!
I am doing more balls for Tuesday. I will totally try the veg shortening. You mean like Crisco, right???
Thanks again! You so totally rock!

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:18am
post #96 of 883

I have been Making candy for 28 years now and have never tempered any chocolate. I always purchased already tempered chocolate .

rezzycakes you asked about adding different colors to candies. I use professional paint brushes that are of good quality so I don't have the bristles falling out into my chocolate.

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:48am
post #97 of 883

jenlg~

is the peppermint filling something i can pipe into my chocolate cups instead of preforming it in shape?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:06am
post #98 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

I know the ratio for a white chocolate ganache is different than the other chocolate. I'll pull out my book by Sherry Yard, I know there is info in there and PM it to you. May be tomorrow though.

when you get it, would you mind sharing that info with the rest of us too.. please icon_wink.gif (and if I know our cc family, you'd probably get hundreds of pm requests anyway icon_lol.gif )

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:12am
post #99 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgypsie

rezzycakes you asked about adding different colors to candies. I use professional paint brushes that are of good quality so I don't have the bristles falling out into my chocolate.

That's a great idea! I have some good (and never used) brushes that stored away from my crafting days. Sounds like it's time to dig those out! BTW... how do you clean your brushes without damaging them?

jenlg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:25am
post #100 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp24

jenlg~

is the peppermint filling something i can pipe into my chocolate cups instead of preforming it in shape?

You might be able to 'shape' and 'fit' it into your cups...it definately can't be piped. I have a mold for patties that I coat with chocolate and then put the patty in it...after the two hours drying...then i fill the rest and cover the top with chocolate.

jenlg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:29am
post #101 of 883

I clean my brushes by holding them under warm water with just a drop of soap to clean out the bristles. I lay them flat on a papertowel and air dry.

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:36am
post #102 of 883

I'm so glad that this thread was started! I've wanted to learn more about chocolate making for over a year. I have the CIA book that someone mentioned earlier. It was well worth the cost and it really isn't hard to understand. LOL, unfortunately it's in another state right now. I, too, am leary of tempering. Are bonbons and truffles the same thing? I'd like to make chocolate candies for christmas gifts this year. Does anyone have a pumpkin spice truffle recipe, or any other recipes they'd like to share. My Hobby Lobby carries alot more candy making utensils than what they used to. My best friend wants to go up there this week, so it looks like I will be candy shopping.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:53am
post #103 of 883

Love the recipe for the Candied Orange Peel - ever thought of using orangel flavored alcohol to enhance the flavor. Thanks for posting.

cmp24 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:01am
post #104 of 883

I've been making chocolate candy for a few years now, and just started hard candy this year. With the chocolates i've done everything but the molds, and wanted to start trying those this year. When it comes to the mixing of all the different colors, I just don't have that much patients

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:16am
post #105 of 883

another question about color - are those done in candy melts? I usually try to avoid those. I know they make oil-based colorings for chocolate, do they work well? Expensive?

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:06am
post #106 of 883

I found this recipe on the internet and I've made them, they are delish. However, my ganache stayed so soft I had to freeze them in order to enrobe them in chocolate (I used dark chocolate to enrobe). I'm going to try adding some more white chocolate next time to see if that will help.

White Chocolate Pumpkin Ganache

100 grams white chocolate
40 grams pumpkin puree
20 grams heavy cream
15 grams butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I think I subed for pumpik pie spice)

Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Boil the pumpkin and heavy cream together and pour over chocolate. Stir until incorporated and the ganache forms. Let it sit overnight, roll into balls and dip in melted chocolate.

If you wanted to use a mold and pipe the ganache in, then it would be perfect as is.

Not a big eggnog fan but you have made me want to try it.

jenlg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:46am
post #107 of 883

I use the colored candy melts. However, I have actually used AmeriColor with some white chocolate before for specific colors.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:27pm
post #108 of 883

I didn't realize you only need to temper large chocolate chunks. I buy the Merckens melts so I guess I'm okay. I'm going to stick with those 'cause I love them.

Mary Jo

cmp24 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm
post #109 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

Mommyle-

First that story about the pie cracks me up! Moms, gotta love 'em!

And if you want to soften the shell on the cake balls you can add a little veg shortening when you melt the chocolate. That should help but just add a little.

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

Ok is there a specific kind of shortening I should use? And how much is just a little? 1 tbsp? or is that to much? Solid shortening or oil?

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:47pm
post #110 of 883

I also use Merckens colored melts. I think they are a TON better than Wilton's. The chocolate is definitely a better quality. It melts much nicer. The colors and white chocolate melts do need less heat than milk or dark. So, if you're melting in a microwave you need to be careful to take it slow, heat a little, stir, heat a little more, etc. I prefer to melt in a double boiler.

Mary Jo

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:33pm
post #111 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I'm sure glad I found this thread before it became SEVERAL pages long. I had a candy business for years before I started making cakes. I've got a simple recipe for peppermint patties if anyone wants it. I make a bunch and bag them for christmas gifts. Also, I have a recipe for homemade Snickers.

Here is a picture of SpongeBob lollis that I used to sell, all chocolate.

awesome lollies

could you please share the mold sites where you can buy cool stuff like this????

TIA!

jenlg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:52pm
post #112 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I'm sure glad I found this thread before it became SEVERAL pages long. I had a candy business for years before I started making cakes. I've got a simple recipe for peppermint patties if anyone wants it. I make a bunch and bag them for christmas gifts. Also, I have a recipe for homemade Snickers.

Here is a picture of SpongeBob lollis that I used to sell, all chocolate.

awesome lollies

could you please share the mold sites where you can buy cool stuff like this????

TIA!

I buy some at a local health food store...but online...the only place I'll go to is candylandcrafts . com. They are located in New Jersey. Prices are cheap and they ship very fast. Also, they sell alot of cake decorating items. I bought my cake dummies there as well.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:03pm
post #113 of 883

I read all the pages, but not sure if I missed it or it wasn't mentioned....

Can you use regular chocolate chips (like Nestle semi-sweet) for molds or truffles? Can you temper it to make it have a slightly hard shell? I'd like to get rid of an ingredient in my cupboard if I can (Mercken's).

jenlg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:15pm
post #114 of 883

Mercken's doesn't need tempered, I never do it with mine. As for the chocolate chips...I know something should be done to it. I've never used them for candy making, sorry I can't help more.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #115 of 883

Michelle (Hey fellow Ohioan):
I use choco chips, Hershey's, and they do need temering cause I never temper (too darn impatient) and they bloom... they taste good, just not so pretty...

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:49pm
post #116 of 883

jenlg, I don't temper my Mercken's either, but it doesn't harden and I have a hard time getting it melted enough/thin enough to dip well.

Hi mommy_of_3_DDs! Darn, was hoping that would solve my problem of an overflowing ingredient cupboard. icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm
post #117 of 883

If you temper the chocolate chips they should be fine. I haven't molded them, but I've used them for drizzling and it set up no problem.

sayhellojana Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #118 of 883

JennaB - thank you so much for the pumpkin recipe! I've been wanting to try something holiday flavored. I just cooked a pumpkin and pureed it last night, so I have plenty to work with. YUMMY!

jenlg Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:48am
post #119 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

jenlg, I don't temper my Mercken's either, but it doesn't harden and I have a hard time getting it melted enough/thin enough to dip well.

Hi mommy_of_3_DDs! Darn, was hoping that would solve my problem of an overflowing ingredient cupboard. icon_smile.gif

The only Mercken's I have trouble thinning is the dark chocolate. Then I'll add a little bit of Paramount Crystals to thin it out.

MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:12am
post #120 of 883

Well heck, that's exactly the Mercken's I like to use, dark chocolate. Figures. icon_smile.gif Then I add paramount crystals and then it doesn't harden. I think I'm just going to take cake truffles off the menu. I'm so tired of making them anyway! It could be the 200+ boxes of truffles I made for a wedding a few weeks ago. Ugh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%