How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #781 of 883

my vote - photoshop. You can make anything look smooth and perfect.

sayhellojana Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #782 of 883

my vote - photoshop. You can make anything look smooth and perfect.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 6:47pm
post #783 of 883

Well this is interesting (but you can hardly hear the guy because the background noise is so loud.) It's pretty cool to watch him in action anyway:

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:52am
post #784 of 883

If you're in the Paris, New York City, Moscow, Tokyo, Beijing, or ShangHai, you can attend the Chocolate Shows
( www.chocolateshow.com ). I've been going for years, and love every minute of it.

The show features chocolate makers and vendors from around the world, along with demonstrations and samples made by famous chefs.

The show in NYC is always the second weekend in November. You can always find me, along the aisle, approximately 4th row back on the left. I'll be the one taking copious notes.

Bring food - they sell food at the venue, but it's expensive, and if you're going to sit in the demos all day, like I do, you will get hungry.

Seating at the demos is at a premium, so if possible, bring a buddy or make friends fast, so someone can save your seat when you go to the bathroom.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:19am
post #785 of 883

cool video bobwonderbuns.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:07pm
post #786 of 883

I was asked to make some things for an event in mid-late October. Since I haven't quite gotten the tempering down pat (but I'm getting there!) I was wondering how far in advance I can make tempered chocolates.
While it is hot in the summer, I work in education and have a lighter schedule now. If I make things in August, and try to keep them in as cool a spot as possible, will they last until October? Or am I better off just practicing now and actually doing them closer to the date?

I was thinking of making filled chocolates (praline and cream centers) and then "tea cups". The saucer is from circles on a transfer sheet, and the cups are a shell from a mold. Then I'll fill them with mousse closer to the date and possibly add "steam" from piped chocolate.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:05pm
post #787 of 883

Due to seasonal temperature and humidity changes, I doubt you would be able to preserve the chocolates for 2 months. Candy companies can do it, because they add commercial preservatives to the chocolate to keep it from blooming over long time periods.

What method of tempering are you using?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #788 of 883

What about freezing? I have always wondered about that especially the ones with a cream center?? Could really save some time if that were pssible before the busy season!
Another question is --does the Gheradelli candy dip "bloom" like the tempered choc? I used it a lot last Christmas but never had it happen.

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #789 of 883

I don't use candy dip, so I can't help you there.

I suggest you do what you feel you need to do.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #790 of 883

I didn't know that there were many methods of tempering.
I bring 2/3 of the chocolate up to the required temp (don't know it off hand) and then add in the other 1/3 to cool it down. Once it has cooled I bring it up slightly and use.

I'm afraid that freezing it will cause moisture. Am I correct?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:18pm
post #791 of 883

Heres my latest molded chocolates !
LL

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #792 of 883

Oh, fiddle, those are so cool! Where did you get that mold? What did you fill them with?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #793 of 883

Hi Theresa! How are you?
Thanks so much ! I made these solid chocolate and used the peanut butter flavored choc on top! I was in a hurry to try them and didnt take time to make a filling LOL!
They can very easily be filled wih a truffle or cake pop type filling ..heres a link to where I got mine!
https://www.cakesnthings.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9802

playingwithsugar Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #794 of 883

Well, they're just adorable. I checked the website, and they only have 1 left, so I e-mailed them and asked when they would be getting more.

I also saw some really cool silicone molds on their site. I have a sweet table to do for the upcoming Christening of our newest family member, so hopefully they'll get them in before then.

I'm doing well. I start back at school soon, cupcakes, painting with food color, and a wedding dress cake class, so look forward to some new pics from me in the gallery!

Thanks for the link!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:51am
post #795 of 883

Thanks Theresa !
Oh I cant wait to see your new creations !!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #796 of 883

Just thought I'd tell you all to check out Albert Usters website. They are doing 3 day hands on classes in different locations. (one is also in OH but not posted yet) The class is with Ewald Notter and it's all about chocolate candies and show pieces.
I really want to go but don't know if I can swing the money for the class.
Thought I'd pass on the info though for all of you.

fiddlesticks Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:58pm
post #797 of 883

If anyone is watching for new flavor candy kisses,The ones in my area are called chocolate metlaways!
They have a smooth/soft chocolate center,not a big flavor contrast but very yummmy!

fiddlesticks Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #798 of 883

Sorry thats meltaways hehe!!

playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:01pm
post #799 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

If anyone is watching for new flavor candy kisses,The ones in my area are called chocolate metlaways!
They have a smooth/soft chocolate center,not a big flavor contrast but very yummmy!

Fiddle, your fingers are typing faster than your brain is thinking, again! icon_lol.gif

Those candies sound the same as Dove Bliss. Almost like a whipped chocolate inside, right?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:17am
post #800 of 883

Hi Theresa!! Yep thats me Fiddle-fingers LOL!!!
Im not sure what to say they are really! At first they reminded me of the caramel filled kisses only in choc but without the streachy part hehe!
I just know they are good if you like choc/choc !

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #801 of 883

I just finished up the gourmet cake forum last week, still working on the 700 + pages of cupcakes and now chocolates. Yes!!

Haven't had a chance to get beyond 3 pages to find answers - computer has issues - I am wondering if anyone does truffles similar to See's candy. I like the flavored soft center truffles they make. Would you use the Lorann oils or other type of flavorings to add to the fondant. I have powdered fondant I was going to use for chocolate covered cherries as well as a recipe somewhere. Which would be a better choice?

Thanks

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:49pm
post #802 of 883

A choc forum sounds great. I encourage you to also look at some other forums such as chocolate alchemy, chocophilia, etc. These sites get really in depth about topics ranging from making your own choc from the bean to decorations. Jacques Torres has a tempering video on utube that is pretty good. If planning to attend a class I highly recommend bon bon and molded choc over sculptures. Sculpture is geared more for banquets and competition. I took the sculpture class at Notter's and while I now have the knowledge I often wish I had spent my $900 on a different class. Took this class 4 years ago and haven't made a sculpture since. Tempering is a method that takes practice, practice, practice. It can be done at home without problem. Just remember that you control the choc it doesn't control you. Even the greatest chocolatiers have issues with tempering at times. Great thing is you bake a cake and it doesn't come out you have to trash it but with choc you just re-temper. So try it and have fun! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #803 of 883

more chocolates
LL

mkolmar Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:40am
post #804 of 883

Those are exactly the kind of pro chocolates I want to make mmoseley.
I really want to concentrate on chocolate and have loads to learn. Thanks for listing those other websites. I'm currently saving up for the World Pastry Forum for next year (hopefully)

Well I was getting ready to make chocolate items at work when a toilet busted in the back in the ladies bathroom and was gushing water everywhere. Dietary shares a wall so it didn't take long for it to make it's way in. AAA was called so hopefully everything will be back to normal soon.
Fun day icon_lol.gif So much for those chocolate dipped bananas and cherries.

mkolmar Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #805 of 883

Alright everyone wish me luck. Ewald Notter will be traveling to my area, doing a class for 3 full days on chocolate bon-bons and sculpture. It's only 30 minutes from my house. It's $830 though...yikes.
My work is trying to decide if they can chip in money. Cross your fingers that they can.
It will be almost impossible for me to take classes that I need to travel for anymore because of the kids.

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:36am
post #806 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Alright everyone wish me luck. Ewald Notter will be traveling to my area, doing a class for 3 full days on chocolate bon-bons and sculpture. It's only 30 minutes from my house. It's $830 though...yikes.
My work is trying to decide if they can chip in money. Cross your fingers that they can.
It will be almost impossible for me to take classes that I need to travel for anymore because of the kids.

Honey, beg, borrow, steal - whatever it takes. I have heard nothing but praise for this man - his personality, his thoroughness, and his love of teaching what he loves to do.

If I was still working at my old job, I'd send you a hundred toward the price of the class. But you'd have to get me an autograph and send me some samples.

Good Luck!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #807 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Thanks ! I always find that what ever I dip with for some reson leaves lines in the ball. I have tried every dipping fork ,loop thingy etc and also a flat bottom. I let tem sit on a iece of archment after I dip .
What are,is polycarbonate molds ?? Thanks !

Polycarbonate molds are the very hard plastic molds that you might have seen Jacques Torres use on Food Network years ago, to make small molded chocolates. Some are clear, others are colored plastic. Here's a link that provides some information on them

http://polycarbonatechocolatemolds.com/polycarbonatemolds.htm

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:33am
post #808 of 883

Or I could just drug him and send him direct mail to you. icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:45am
post #809 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Or I could just drug him and send him direct mail to you. icon_lol.gif

Yes, you could. It's not like he's bad to look at, either.

If you want to learn about tempering and molding chocolates, Kerry Beal (aka The Chocolate Doctor) has reasonably priced videos on her website. They run about $30, Canadian.

The website doesn't have a true shopping bag on the site, so if you want to make a purchase, get in touch with her through the contact button instead.

You would have to be quoted you a price for international shipping, anyway, so e-mail would be the best route.

Tell her I Theresa referred you. I don't get anything for it. I know Kerry through another source.

http://www.thechocolatedoctor.ca/

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #810 of 883

Cool, thanks for the link.
I'll have to check it out tomorrow though. I have to get into bed now so I can get up to work at 5 am. Blah.
I like working with chocolate so I really want to get better at it. I have some of the polycarbonate molds already, but would like more.
Between cake, pastries and chocolate I have to work to feed my addiction. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%