How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:23am
post #841 of 883

I posted this in the candy forum but can't seem to get anyone to reply, was hoping someone would answer my question here. I have a friend who wants me to make some chocolate shot glasses for new years eve and I have no idea on what to charge. These will be made with real chocolate so I will have to temper it. Also, she wants some chocolate truffles. I had given her some for a Christmas gift and now she wants to order them. I made a chocolate shell, then poured some caramel in them and made a truffle filling and piped that on top. Everything will be made from real chocolate. Can anyone suggest what I should charge for these two items? I thought maybe a $1 a piece but then I saw someone on the internet selling belgium shot glasses for $4 a piece which I think is way to expensive. Anyone have any ideas?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 1:39am
post #842 of 883

Same as with cake making you need to figure out your cost of ingredients and time then you'll know better how to price them. I would start at least at $3 a piece, depending on the size of the chocolate shot mold.

luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:24am
post #843 of 883

So, I am going to make truffles for Easter. I am going make three flavors. Cherry, vanilla bean, and one with chocolate ganache in the middle and a white coating on the outside. What do you all think?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #844 of 883

That sounds awesome!! Be sure and post pix! I have to upload my hearts I made for Valentine's day. (It'll get done... eventually...) icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #845 of 883

Oh, I love vanilla bean, that sounds good.
I make lots of truffles for work. I'm not sure what I'll make for Easter, but I have to work on Easter so I guess I better figure it out soon.

luvlaugh Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:57am
post #846 of 883

This will be my first attempt at vanilla bean. I hope itturns out good. I will deffinatly try to post the pics but my only Internet access is my phone right now. I am going try to swirl the outside with 2 colors. I'll be using candy molds for these. Yeah let me know what you come up with for work. I like making candy for work too. If I have enough I might take some over there on my vacation.

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #847 of 883

Anyone have any suggestions on how to ship chocolate pops??? what to use for packing & how to stack? Would really appreciate a response. Thanks.

mkolmar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm
post #848 of 883

With the weather warming up I'd be careful shipping anything chocolate.
I've never shipped any product so I can't tell you. Sorry.

luvlaugh Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #849 of 883

This might have been posted already but I couldn't find it. So, I'm going to go ahead and ask anyway, just in case. Does anyone know what I should charge chocolates? Truffles, bonbons, etc. I did some research but I'm still not sure.

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #850 of 883

can't you use cold or cooler packs if the weather is warm?

mkolmar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:56pm
post #851 of 883

I'm not sure about using cold packs. I would do some research into it first through google probably.

Luvlaugh -- the only way to price out chocolates is the same as you would a cake. How much in ingredients and time.
There is a chef near me who charges $1.10 per chocolate truffle. I'm not sure what chocolate he uses but I know it's not the melts. I believe he uses Godiava (sp?)
Doing chocolate work by tempering can be a little tricky sometimes and there are different grades/levels of chocolate. The more expensive the chocolate, for sure charge more even for a little piece.
When I was charging for small chocolate truffles dipped in chocolate not rolled in cocoa powder, I used cocoa Barry chocolate. Which is middle of the road chocolate. I charged $16 a dozen and honestly should have charged probably more. An 11# box of the chocolate cost me around $110. It can be difficult making money while doing real chocolate work. That's why it's important to figure out your costs since it will be different from other people simply because of the product you use.

luvlaugh Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #852 of 883

Well, I made the vanilla bean chocolates but I made it with white chocolate. It was good but way too rich. So, I am going to try it again and use a different recipe for the center. I am also going to use chocolate instead of white chocolate.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #853 of 883

Well here they are, my leftover chocolate hearts. I like to make these out of leftover chocolate -- they're very easy to do, just pour the chocolate into plastic cookie cutters on a silpat sheet and let them firm up. I like to dress them up with sprinkles and such before the chocolate sets. They make great little yum yums for people to snack on. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

luvlaugh Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:41pm
post #854 of 883

Those are really pretty. Is it ganache or just white chocolate? Do you spray non stick on the coockie cutters? Will it work with metal cookie cutters? I have been thinking about trying this lately. Those look great.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:52pm
post #855 of 883

Thanks! They're so easy to do it's almost sinful! (Well it's chocolate, which makes it sinful!) icon_lol.gif It's just white chocolate that was colored pink (I did a bunch of pink and blue chocolate cigars for a baby gender announcement party recently) and I had all this leftover pink chocolate. I use the plastic cutters as they are with no spraying necessary. I put them on the Silpat lined cookie sheets for easy release. I've heard that this works well with metal and cupper cutters, but I haven't tried it so I don't know. I've also done little easter yum yums with mini plastic rabbit, egg and such cutters and pastel sprinkles. Use whatever you have and have fun with it!! icon_biggrin.gif

luvlaugh Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:10pm
post #856 of 883

I'll have to try that. I do take pictures of my candy but right now I do everything from my phone. And the site won't let me. But all my pictures are on my facebook.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:11pm
post #857 of 883

I try to take pix of everything but some things just get forgotten. Like the chocolate cigars!! The pink ones read "it's a girl" and the blue ones read "it's a boy." icon_biggrin.gif Oh well, I'll just have to wait til another friend has a kid then make some more! icon_lol.gif

luvlaugh Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #858 of 883

You'll get those pics one day. They sound really good. Very creative.

luvlaugh Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #859 of 883

bob, what kind of chocolate do you use? Do you temper tour chocolate?

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm
post #860 of 883

Those were just leftover chocolate from candy melts. My students ask me what I do with the leftover chocolate that I don't want to store or throw away -- I make those chocolate yummys with them. It's nice too because there are no measurements, make as many or as few as you want depending on how much chocolate you have leftover.

luvlaugh Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:28am
post #861 of 883

Ok, thank you so much.

luvlaugh Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #862 of 883

Ok, thank you so much. icon_smile.gif

Sipot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sipot Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:51pm
post #863 of 883

Just wanted to let everyone know another very popular chocolate filling that I do that gets eaten almost first.icon_smile.gif

I buy (but you could make it from scratch) Nanaimo box mix and make the bottom layer in one bowl, the creamy centre in a different bowl (refrigerate for a bit) then use the peanut butter cup mold I pu the chocolate in the bottom and sides, refrigerate, then some of the "crust" and a bit of the cream layer and squish it all flat then the choclate on top, it's just like a nanaimo square but all contained inside the chocolate. Very Yummy!

Sipot Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:53pm
post #864 of 883

Does anyone have a recipe that they would be willing to share for Grasshopper Mousse? Sounds wonderful!

luvlaugh Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #865 of 883
luvlaugh Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:42am
post #866 of 883

Which center would be better for strawberry truffles? White chocolate or dark? I will be dipping them in pink white chocolate.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:47pm
post #867 of 883

Hey, I`m new here. I made oreo truffles today, but have not dipped them in chocolate yet. I have them in the fridge in an airtight container. How long will they last (not eating them is a start icon_biggrin.gif) in the fridge? Is there any easy chocolate I can buy other than Merckens to melt in the microwave?

Thanks very much. This thread is great. icon_smile.gif

Sipot Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #868 of 883

I always buy the bulk chocolate wafers from teh bulk bins and melt them in the microwave, I usually put white chocolate on the oreo Truffles. I wear rubber gloves and then kind of use my hands to dip the oreo balls into the chocolate and then set them down. It works good for me that way I dont have the patience to wait for the chocolate to drip off. Oreo Truffles are my favorite! I keep mine for about about 2 week or so in the frig.

Good luck not eating them all!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:17pm
post #869 of 883

Aren't these cute? These are the animals from the Team Safari baby theme that my friend Danielle picked out for her shower. I'm doing the cake this weekend and was so tickled with the results of the chocolate transfers I just had to share with y'all! icon_lol.gif
LL

luvlaugh Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:44pm
post #870 of 883

They are so adorable! That are so cute in fact, that I am just going to have to ask you how you did it. Is it the same as a buttercream transfer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%