How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #631 of 883

LOL!! Oh ya house work, Dang! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif
Thats what im doing today, icon_sad.gif I played cookies over the weekend so now I have to clean before I can play again ! icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif
So many things to try and so little time icon_razz.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #632 of 883

House work icon_sad.gif

Those chocolate heart boxes are so cool icon_smile.gif I also like the colored MMs inside.

Perfection strips? Will someone explain these too me?

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:51pm
post #634 of 883

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=625575

I have looked at these and never ordered them! Now I need them!
Fiddlesticks do you use the smallest one for choc? I use a 1/4 dowel for some of my cookies. Also how would you spread the choc?
Jana, these are to make the choc the same thickness all over!

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #635 of 883

Thanks Linda Im not sure what went on with my link there LOL!! Well anyway ..Yes I have them but have never tried them yet! But did you read back a page on this thread an see the tips that were posted ? I have a bad habbit of buying items that I want to try and by the time I get them( shiped) I have moved on to another thing I just have to have/try ! hehe! Then somethings sit here till I just have to try them again LOL!

Linliv46 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #636 of 883

Well, yea I saw all those links but it looks to me like you would have to have a bench scraper to smooth the choc out. Now, with just those small hearts I just spread it out with my spatula & it worked for that!

sayhellojana Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:15am
post #637 of 883

Oh - got it. Those look handy icon_smile.gif Thanks for explaining

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #638 of 883

Oh Linliv46, those heart boxes are gorgeous!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Linliv46 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:03am
post #639 of 883

Thank-You! They were fun to make after I figured how much chocolate to put in each mold! icon_rolleyes.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:08am
post #640 of 883

I use the small (black) perfection strips for the chocolate wraps and for chocolate transfer cut-outs. I think I'll start using them for other things like rolling out dough too. I really like them.
I just ordered a few more sheets from Country Kitchen Sweet arts and they should be in within the next 2 days (crossing fingers)
I'm going to cut out the transfer and after I dip my cookies in chocolate, lay the transfer on top. I'm really starting to like this whole transfer thing! So much easier than piping and people are amazed by it. icon_wink.gif
OK, to tell the truth I'm trying to perfect it before next month when I'll be working a charity event. I'm in charge of the dessert station for a formal sit-down dinner. Everyone will get the same dessert so no picking it out. It will be served on a square plate with a caramel-Brandy sauce painted on in a streak. The plating will be on top of the sauce. There will be a key lime ricotta cream puff with a phillo sheet fan sprinkled with sugar, choc.-Bourbon cake covered in ganache with a choc. transfer cut-out and a peach-Brandy upside down cake with whipping cream and caramel shards. Does that sound alright to you all? I'm starting to get nervous. I have to do before preview for the newspapers next Monday.....I could vomit.

sayhellojana Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:11am
post #641 of 883

Oh gosh Mkolmar - That sounds like heaven! I'll taste test for you icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:29am
post #642 of 883

mkolmar. It all sounds so yummy ! I have done the cookies that way in the past. I diped shortbread in choc and put a piece of cutout transfer sheet on top , Also did the oreo,s that way to ( in my photos) I did gingerbread men on them for Christmas. Super simple and everyone thinks you spent so much time on them, hehe!

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:33am
post #643 of 883

Linda when I said tips I was talking about this tip from Mkolmar...
I'll give you a hint though (found this out the hard way) put choc. just in the middle of the transfer and spread it out. Take a straight edge cookie sheet or something else with a straight edge and drag it across. Watch how much choc. you put on the transfer though. Always easier to add then to have too much and have lots of choc. just pushed to the end the transfer in a giant pool.

mkolmar Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:04am
post #644 of 883

Of course you both can taste test it for me. Just drive on up to MI and I'll even make a big ol meal for you too.

What other V-Day goodies do you all plan on making?
My DH always wonders what ideas I'll use from CC and the choc. thread next.

Linliv46 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #645 of 883

mkolmar
Those all sound sooo yummy and equisite! When you have time tell me about the "caramel chards". Sounds interesting!

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #646 of 883

mkolmar.. You were asking all of us for WOW ! Ideas and we keep wanting yours icon_lol.gif It all sounds so yummy though.

mkolmar Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #647 of 883

The caramel shards are actually sugar shards that are flavored like caramel and cooked till about an amber color. Put it on a slipat and wait for it to cool. Break apart.

Fiddle-your making me blush and that's hard to do.

I decided I'm taking a tear drop cutter and cutting out the choc. boubon cake to give it a nicer design. After I cover it in ganache I'll take a smaller tear drop cutter and cut out part of a choc. transfer to stick on top and add a little more height to the cake. I hope it turns out like it looks in my head.
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Anyone making any molded chocolates for V-day?

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #648 of 883

Im molding oreo,s today ! I have been taken over by breast cancer items ...the ribbon cookies and ribbon suckers ( my photos )and I still have to do pink cupcakes for friday. Besides the v/day cookies I posted I made a few batches of choc chip cookies with v/day m& m,s and white and choc chips added to them. Havent had much time for anything else!

sayhellojana Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #649 of 883

Of course I'm making molded chocolates! I just wont be doing any till Friday night. lol. I plan on chocolate marshmallow inside of milk chocolate and caramel inside milk chocolate. Nothing too fancy, but still good icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #650 of 883

They sound delicious ! I just posted my oreos , I know they are cookies but still choc LOL!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1314349&done=1

Linliv46 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:45pm
post #651 of 883

Can't get the pic! Did ya see the new Spinningleaf molds today? Love that rose! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:06pm
post #652 of 883

Yes I guess they have been deleted ?? icon_confused.gif Maybe we cant post those anymore either ? Lets see if I can get them on here icon_smile.gif
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:11pm
post #653 of 883

I have a message in to Kathycc ( one of the mod,s ) so lets see if they are not letting us post these anymore ?
I was not awear we cant post these either ? anyway there they are ! I really like this mold design, did you get the email showing the new design ?

Linliv46 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:17pm
post #654 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

I have a message in to Kathycc ( one of the mod,s ) so lets see if they are not letting us post these anymore ?
I was not awear we cant post these either ? anyway there they are ! I really like this mold design, did you get the email showing the new design ?

Oh those are soo pretty! Well, It seems to me thats a cookie so I don't know why that wouldn't be appropriate! Yes I got the new mold letter and I love the rose! Might have to have that one!

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #655 of 883

Thanks Linda I will see what reply I get on posting these ! I sure dont understand what the problem might be now.

mkolmar Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:04pm
post #656 of 883

Your not allowed to put them in your pictures anymore fiddle. Sorry.
I had mine deleted also. They are not considered decorated cookies since they are formed in a mold.

Those are really pretty though and so shiny.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:08pm
post #657 of 883

Good Morning Ladies
I just bought me some new molds from Spinningleaf. Thank you for sharing all the information on the new molds.
Fiddlesticks your oreos are beautiful.
Have a great day! Tammy

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #658 of 883

fiddlesticks,
Your oreos are cute. I have the same mold and had a bit of a problem. I used double stuffed oreos. I used candy melts. My problem was in getting the chocolate to cover the sides of the cookie. I had a few gaps and when I tried pushing the cookie in further it then showed through the white chocolate on the top where the heart is.

Should I use paramount crystals to get a thinner flow? If so, what is the ratio of crystals to chocolate/melts?

Thanks so much to anyone for help.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm
post #659 of 883

sayhellojana,

I made some molded chocolates yesterday and I'm not sure if I did them correctly or the easiest way.

I put some melted candy melts in the mold and then used a paintbrush to paint it up the sides and waited for it to dry a little and then placed the filling in and covered with more melted chocolate.

I used a silicone mold so I couldn't see if there were any air bubbles or not.

Any advice on the best way to do molded chocolates?

Thanks for any help.

mkolmar Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:25pm
post #660 of 883

I don't use melts, just choc. so I can't help you with your question.
However, did you fill the molds partially and tap them out on the counter to get out any air bubbles, then put the cookie in - recover with chocolate-take a bench scraper to the back to make sure it's smooth and then tap out again to get any air bubbles out?

The tapping the air bubbles out is real important otherwise you get little gaps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%