How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:33pm
post #301 of 883

Well then, if all you ladies like doing it this way I'm going to have to try it icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #302 of 883

sayhellojana, Yes give it a shot but remember it TAKES TIME !
And make an empty spot in your freezer because you will be in and out of there to. Also have a brush that doesent leave bristles in the choc that can be a pain.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:57pm
post #303 of 883

Can someone tell me please, exactly what is dobash? I have seen it around forever and know that some people use it as a filling and... if I remember I have tried it and I think I remember it being a little bitter for my taste. But since I didn't like it and am not quite sure what it is I have shyed away from using it.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me!!!

TIA

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm
post #304 of 883

I painted my molds with a brush for many years, and then when Wilton came out with the chocolate bottles I started using them.. You can melt the chocolate first, then put it in the bottle (it works better that way). But the bottle holds a lot, and if I am doing molds, just hold the bottle just below the rim of the mold and squeeze just enough to cover the cavity. Tapping it on the counter will allow the chocolate to flow to the bottom. This way goes much faster.. With a little practice, you will learn just how much chocolate you need to squeeze in, and it is a lot less messy. I pop that in the frig for maybe one minute, then fill the cavity with the truffle mixture (or whatever you are using) and back it off with more melted chocolate. Refrigerate till completely set... You can put the bottle of chocolate in the microwave as needed.. When you are done for the day, just leave whatever chocolate is left in the bottle and cap it. It will set up, and just reheat it the next time you want to use it... No waste at all... icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:40pm
post #305 of 883

Laura.. Do you color your cream centers ? I cant remember there being special colors for candy centers?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:59pm
post #306 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Laura.. Do you color your cream centers ? I cant remember there being special colors for candy centers?

I do, fiddlesticks.. Sometimes, like if you add cherry juice, that colors itself. But if I want a mint flavor, I think tinting it a mint green makes a big difference... The pallate uses taste, sight, and smell.. but you know that.. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif Orange, or lemon flavor/color should match.. I just use regular icing colors to achieve the color I want...

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:09pm
post #307 of 883

Thanks ! Yes I like the color to match what Im eating to !

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 10:10pm
post #308 of 883

I just got done making my very first ever batch of peanut butter cups. My best friend bought me a box of graham crackers for the filling. OMG.. icon_eek.gif They taste just like Reeses!!! My best friend thought so too. I made 30 cups, LOL, only 29 will be making it to Afghanistan, well, make that 28. I gave one to my best friend, and of course the cook has to have one too. I just finished piping the chocolate tops and flattening them with the back of a butter knife. I did end up using the candy cups instead of the mold. I piped chocolate into the bottom of the cup and used a brush to brush it up the sides; it worked really well. I still have quite a bit of the dough left over, so I think I'm going to make more, but this time i'm gonna try using the mold that I got. I also tempered the chocolate for the first time today. What a difference in appearance! It looked like silk! Well, I'm off to read some of the other threads. My back is killin me from standing up and piping that chocolate. I think it's time to pull my card table and my comfy chair into the kitchen since holiday goody time is upon us. Tonight I have to work on the finishing up the truffles. I have to have all of this stuff made, dipped, and boxed for shipping by Sunday afternoon as my best friend is shipping it all to Afghanistan on monday. Thanks to all of you for your tips and advice; it all came in very handy today.
Oh about the squeeze bottle; that's what I normally use to fill a mold with. I don't have any since i moved but I grabbed one at my friends house and then forgot to put it in the truck icon_mad.gif So this weekend I will have to use tips and piping bags.

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:01pm
post #309 of 883

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Peppermint-Bark
Wilton has some cute ideas ! they have anothe one under the fudge to !

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:02pm
post #310 of 883

heavensgaits.....your recipe for PB Cups has graham crackers? Sounds interesting, I'd love to try it if you're willing to share the recipe!!!!!

Thanks.
Kathy

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:09pm
post #311 of 883

heavensgaits..... I just finished piping the chocolate tops and flattening them with the back of a butter knife. Im trying to figure out what you were doing here? Im not understanding it ?

sayhellojana Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:24pm
post #312 of 883

Fiddle - I think she was smoothing the top of the peanutbutter bups, so there werent any "hills" in the chocolate and so all the filling was covered up.

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:34pm
post #313 of 883

Oh I see ! Thanks!

heavensgaits Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:50am
post #314 of 883

Here is the recipe for peanut butter cups that I used. I got it of allrecipes.com

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups  
Submitted by: Kathleen Dickerson
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 98 members   Yields: 30 servings
"Just like the candy! You'll need 30 mini (1 3/4 by 1 1/4 inch) paper cups for filling."

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup butter  1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2/3 cup graham cracker
crumbs

DIRECTIONS:
1.In 1-quart saucepan combine chocolate chips and shortening. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth (3 to 5 minutes).

2.Loosen top paper cup from stack, but leave in stack for greater stability while being coated. With small paint brush, coat inside top cup evenly with about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate to about 1/8-inch thickness, bringing coating almost to top of cup, but not over edge. Repeat until 30 cups are coated; refrigerate cups.

3.In 2-quart saucepan combine butter or margarine and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until melted (4 to 6 minutes). Stir in confectioners' sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Press about 1/2 tablespoon filling into each chocolate cup.

4.Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon melted chocolate on top of filling; spread to cover. Freeze until firm (about 2 hours) carefully peel off paper cups. Store refrigerated.

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:38am
post #315 of 883

now that sounds very yummy.......i have a huge mold for pb cups.....i want to try those for Christmas.....But thats something i have to make last minute and with only 2 molds.......it's gonna take forever

sayhellojana Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:13am
post #316 of 883

You can use mini cupcake liners and just paint them I think, that would save time worrying about molds.

So, I ate about half of the orange chocolate truffles I made yesterday. UH! My hips are scolding me...but their just, so, goood!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:10pm
post #317 of 883

Thanks heavensgaits.....I can't wait to try them!!!

heavensgaits Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:21pm
post #318 of 883

You're very welcome!

If you have to make these last minute I highly reccomend using the mini muffin cup liners or just using paper candy cups like I did. It still takes a bit of time, but I think it probably goes quicker because you can make so many more at one time.

Oh, Kathy, I did a few things different in the recipe. First, I melted part of the chocolate & all of the shortening in the microwave, then added the rest of the chips to it. Once the first part was melted and combined, I heated it in the micro for just 15 seconds(LOL, the short version of tempering, but it worked). I also used creamy peanut butter. The graham cracker crumbs will give it a texture that will make u think it has crunchy peanut butter in it. The recipe says to remove the final product from the paper cups....I left them in there because I'm shipping these on monday. I also think it just makes it a cleaner package for people to pick up. Oh I also used semisweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate. when I make this again, I think I will cut the shortening to 1 tablespoon instead to two. The chocolate will set up, but it becomes quite soft at room temp. I think reducing the shortening will help.

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:42pm
post #319 of 883

Thanks, Heavensgaits ~ I will still use the big cups though. On a day off all I have is time and and keeping busy keeps me out of trouble lol. Does the center get hard or does it stay soft and creamy? Now the trick would be to keep the kids out of them while I can keep them long enough to put them in my are packages. Guess i'll have to double the batch!

I'll diffently have to make a small batch to take to the girls at work. they are my best critics when it comes to candy. If it does not pass them, it don't go in my packages lol.

Can you use this recipe for PB balls also?

fiddlesticks Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #320 of 883

Peanut Butter Centers
A creamy center that can be molded or dipped
1 Cup peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
1 stick softened butter( marg)
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
¼ cup corn syrup
Combine and mix till blended.
Makes approximately 50 centers

heavensgaits Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:54pm
post #321 of 883

The center is almost like a soft dough, just like Reeses. I imagine that you could use this recipe for peanut butter balls. When I was putting the filling in the cups, I would get a 1/2 tsp of the dough and roll it into a ball and then push it into the cups. Let me know what the girls at work think of the recipe!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:52pm
post #322 of 883
Quote:

Peanut Butter Centers
A creamy center that can be molded or dipped
1 Cup peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
1 stick softened butter( marg)
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
¼ cup corn syrup
Combine and mix till blended.
Makes approximately 50 centers

That sounds good, almost like my recipe but I have never used the corn syrup! I think I will try your recipe!

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:02am
post #323 of 883

Hey Linda ! That recipe is in the new candy book you just got ! I was comparing it( this book) to my old stand by candy book from yrs ago and Im suprised by how many recipes are the same recipes. I use that one and I also use the one ( most often) that I posted on the treats link ( under my signature) its pb balls its a little different, A little firmer I think. They are both good though!

sayhellojana Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:26am
post #324 of 883

fiddle - I like the sound of that recipe. Added it to my "To try" pile along with a bunch of other recipes from CC and this thread. I've been on a marshmallow kick lately. Just made my third batch this week, added cocoa powder to them and a little bit of leftover raspberry cake filling and piped into truffle molds. Not sure how it's going to taste inside a truffle, but the marshmallow mix itsself was yummy!

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:53am
post #325 of 883
Quote:

Hey Linda ! That recipe is in the new candy book you just got ! I was comparing it( this book) to my old stand by candy book from yrs ago and Im suprised by how many recipes are the same recipes. I use that one and I also use the one ( most often) that I posted on the treats link ( under my signature) its pb balls its a little different, A little firmer I think. They are both good though!

icon_rolleyes.gif Well I am still reading my book and looking at the pictures! One of the best books I have bought in a long time. The "treats" link has lots of things I would like to try!
I think I am going to experiment with freezing some of all of it. I have always had good luck freezing candy!

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:55am
post #326 of 883

Thanks sayhellojana Can you share your fav marshmallow recipe, I cant remember if its on here already ? Its on my list to try to. My list is soooooo long !

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:02am
post #327 of 883

Yes Candy can freeze well. Be careful if its molded though sometimes the molded pieces want to crack.
I agree Its one of the best books I have bought also. Its makes you want to try everything in there.

sayhellojana Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #328 of 883

Of course I can share! I use Alton Brown's recipe from foodnetwork, but marshmallow recipes don't differ much.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

* 3 packages unflavored gelatin
* 1 cup ice cold water, divided
* 12 ounces granulated sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups
* 1 cup light corn syrup
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* Nonstick spray

I listed the ingredients just so y'all can compare it to other marshmallow recipes. The link is above, and the directions are clear and detailed. I usually let mine sit for about 3 hours, then cut them and store airtight. Thats firm enough for me and they are sooo melt in your mouth yummers!

german918 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
german918 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:14pm
post #329 of 883

I am making a boat cake and was wondering which I should use, either candy melts or almond bark, to make the antenna and the rails.

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:21pm
post #330 of 883

I thought they were the same thing?? But I could be sooo wrong?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%