How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:56pm
post #151 of 883

Your welcome all!! Let me know if you try them and how they turn out!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #152 of 883

I emailed them to you this afternoon fiddlesticks... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Did you get them yet?? You have to watch out for the mail servers.. you know how they are.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I made bittersweet mocha truffle filling that I will dip in dark chocolate, and milk chocolate truffle filling that will get dipped in milk chocolate. I'm telling you that chocolate smell is all through the house.. yummm even dh came thru the door drooling icon_lol.gif I have 150 pieces to dip tomorrow...

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:14am
post #153 of 883

Laura ,OMG!!!Your Killing me here !! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif That must of been what was shooting out at me when I opened my email! I thought it was some sort of new virus! So I swept them up and tossed them in the trash thumbsdown.gif No wonder my house smells like choc ! icon_surprised.gif
Nice of you to share though icon_smile.gificon_lol.gif
Ummmm...Will I find those recipes in my New choc book or Should I beg for them icon_cry.gif Or are they posted somewhere ????? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:21am
post #154 of 883

[/i]now just relax fiddlesticks.. icon_smile.gif you have both of those recipes right at your fingertips; they are in Autumn's candy book.. The lighter whipped truffles; not the heavy ganache ones... If you have trouble locating them just let me know, and I will look them up....

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #155 of 883

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Yahoooooooooooo!!! thumbs_up.gif I have only had a chance to kind of skim through it so far. Is this a recipe that you are just trying or a fav ??

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #156 of 883

So now I'm off to the liquor store to buy bourbon. Seriously, you guys, you have to stop this! My jeans aren't fitting as it is!!!

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #157 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Yahoooooooooooo!!! thumbs_up.gif I have only had a chance to kind of skim through it so far. Is this a recipe that you are just trying or a fav ??

It's a TNT, that melts like butter in your mouth....... icon_smile.gif
you have a fun evening fiddle....... see ya latr... icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:48am
post #158 of 883

Thanks Laura ! Have a good night, catch ya later!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #159 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

So now I'm off to the liquor store to buy bourbon. Seriously, you guys, you have to stop this! My jeans aren't fitting as it is!!!

My thoughts exactly!
I just painted a pumpkin-shaped cake. I've never painted fondant before, it's so shiny, I love it! I'm going to make some marshmallows and drizzle some chocolate on top. The cake is for a party, the marshmallows are for trick or treaters, just in case I get some, which I doubt I will. The downsides of living in an appartment complex icon_sad.gif

I'm glad fiddle joined the thread, you always liven things up.

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #160 of 883

sayhellojana.... Why thank you! icon_smile.gif What a sweet comment icon_rolleyes.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #161 of 883

I just posted a mini-chocolate 101 in the candy making forum.

Welcome to the fun fiddlesticks. I knew you would join in sooner or later icon_razz.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:53pm
post #162 of 883

Thanks mkolmar...I will check it out ! Does everyone know if they click on my treat link there are several recipes from that thread that have to do with choc to ? Lots of variety of fudge and pb balls etc!

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #163 of 883

Hey there fiddlesticks! I am making handdipped chocolate truffles today for a Halloween party...... and they are hard to resist... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif[/quote]

can you share the recipe or is it on here some where already?

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #164 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp24

can you share the recipe or is it on here some where already?

The recipe is in Autumn Carpenter's book: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=627450
I strongly recommend this book; it is a wealth of information for a little price.. The ingredients for the truffles is basic, 3/4 pound real chocolate, one cup whipping cream, 1/4 tsp salt, and flavoring. The method is a little more complicated. Depending on the flavor you want as to which chocolate you use; bittersweet, milk, etc. But she does a through job of instruction, and I could never cover all the methods here..

I adore your signature line..... I laugh every time I read it... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #165 of 883

I have a chocolate question.....

Does anyone know how to make sipping chocolate? It's not hot chocolate or hershey's syrup. I asked the local shop I get it from and they said it is a slightly altered ganache mixed with cream and heated up....I would love to have this recipe. They add things like chili, raspberry, lavendar, etc.

I know it is not molded chocolate, but truly it is YUMMY!

Julia

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #166 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

I have a chocolate question.....

Does anyone know how to make sipping chocolate? It's not hot chocolate or hershey's syrup. I asked the local shop I get it from and they said it is a slightly altered ganache mixed with cream and heated up....I would love to have this recipe. They add things like chili, raspberry, lavendar, etc.

I know it is not molded chocolate, but truly it is YUMMY!

Julia

Julia, I don't know if this is what you are looking for....
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,175,132181-251196,00.html
It's chocolate gravy.. a long time popular dish in the South.. as much as I love chocolate.. I could never get into this tradition.. icon_lol.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:25pm
post #167 of 883

I've made my own version of sipping chocolate with coconut milk and mexican chocolate. YUM! I have no idea if this is what your looking for, but I make it this way:
heat up your cream/milk/fat and when its scalding, poor it over your chocolate. Let it sit for 2 mins. Give it a stir and add flavorings to taste. It's just like a ganache, but with way more liquid.

acookieobsession Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:33pm
post #168 of 883

I just watched Alton's "Puff the magic Mallow" Very helpful info on homemade marsh mellows and a way to use chips without loosing the temper. He put chip in a glass bowl, then put a heating pad in the big metal bowl. Then he said to place the chocolate bowl over the heating pad and melt to not above 98 degrees.

Julia

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm
post #169 of 883

I have never heard of sipping chocolate, But It sounds yummy!

acookieobsession Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #170 of 883

I think sipping chocolate is mostly a european thing. It is almost like liquid ganache....which I guess it probably is...but thick. Not like what you pour over cakes, not quite as what you roll to make truffles.

I think I will do some research. I can't do anything since the inside of my house is being painted. Guess I will jsut sit my tookus on the couch and play on the internet. Oh and FREEZE because the doors are open. Better than me doing the painting though, i can tEll ya that!

Julia

acookieobsession Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:08pm
post #172 of 883

CakesbyLJ- BLECH! No wonder you never got into that. Choc sauce over egss and biscuits. Ick. Gimme some sausgae gravy thank you very much.

At hershey onetime we ate at the hershey cafe and I hat chocolate steak. Bascially a steak with chocolate gravy. It was gross.

I do however like cinncinati chili with choc in it....

Thanks for the recipes..... Perhaps I will experiment now that I have a craving.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #173 of 883

Chocolate gravy rocks!!! I use to eat it over biscuits or just by itself over at my mamaw's and papaw's house. My family is from the south so this is just another staple for us on the table. Over eggs though, blah! I've never seen anyone eat it over eggs...that just sounds nasty.

Thanks for posting all of these recipes everyone. My saved files are increasing in number icon_lol.gif

I've never heard of sipping chocolate. My DH's family is from Germany and Poland. They must have been holding it out on me icon_lol.gif Just kidding, I don't think they've ever had it either.
I'll make some this weekend. It sounds good.
I'll put some chili spice in mine or chai spice.

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #174 of 883

There is a Victorian Tea House not far from me that serves lunch and high tea every day, and brunch on the weekends... chocolate gravy is on their menu for brunch, and they have a line out the door all the time.. icon_lol.gif amazing, how we all differ about tastes..... that what makes the world go round...
ok, back to my truffle making....

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm
post #175 of 883

Just have to keep talking about those truffles dont ya LAURE ! Go ahead rub it in ! LOL!!!

acookieobsession Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #176 of 883

hmm, i am like fourth generation georgia and I have never heard of choclate gravy....I can see the uses on bisuits but I have to agree on the eggs.

Soon as the kitchen is dry, i am making some drinking chocolate.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #177 of 883

I have a recipe for sipping chocolate from Better Homes and Garden Christmas cookies edition...

4Cups half & half or whole milk
3 to 4 oz semi-sweet choc. chopped
3 to 4 oz bittersweet choc. chopped
1 TBSP dark corn syrup
Grated bittersweet choc.

In a 2 quart heavy saucepan, combine half&half, SS choc. and BS choc. Stir in corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until choc is melted and mixture is smooth. Serve in warm latte mugs or bowls. If desired, sprinkle with grated choc. Makes 8 (4oz) servings.

Not sure if this is what you where thinking of, but does sound delicious!!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:57pm
post #178 of 883

Well Laura, I'm goimg to have to got out and buy that book.

And I would love to try that sipping chocolate. Sounds heavenly

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #179 of 883

My husband asked me what I want for Christmas-Yahoo a chocolate temperer-we shall see-I gave him the picture- name, model number,
and price.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm
post #180 of 883

My husband asked me what I want for Christmas-Yahoo a chocolate temperer-we shall see-I gave him the picture- name, model number,
and price.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%