How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Chocolate Making?!?

Sugar Work By sayhellojana Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:33am by SpatulaGoddess

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:16am
post #121 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

It could be the 200+ boxes of truffles I made for a wedding a few weeks ago. Ugh.

200?! You didn't tell us you were wonder woman!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:49am
post #122 of 883

Oh man...I haven't made truffles in a long time....I'd freak if I had to make that many now.

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:14pm
post #123 of 883

Yeah, what a pain to make a lot. I made 320molded truffles for my SIL's wedding last fall. Swore I would never make any again. I did though after a few months break. I can't wait to try the pumpkin ones, I'm definitely making those for Thanksgiving!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:47pm
post #124 of 883

I made 200+ boxes of truffles with 3 in each box. I don't ever want to see another truffle again. I am not Wonder Woman and it took me days to finish. LOL! I would rather do molded ones because the dipping drives me nuts. The rolling about put me over the edge too. icon_smile.gif

jenlg Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:55pm
post #125 of 883

I never rolled mine (can't roll very well) ....the molded ones gave a nice shape and had a shine from the chocolate. They also fit easier in the boxes I used. I couldn't imagine dipping 200!! Ugh!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #126 of 883

Ok!!! LOVE this thread! Saw it start up but had to avoid it until I had time to actually read through it icon_smile.gif Can I just ask, am I the only one who caught that Jenlg has a recipe for homemade snickers?!?!?! Oh, PLEASE share!!!! I was reading through thinking "ok, someone's going to ask for that recipe... gotta be coming up... well, hmmmmm.... guess it'll be me" icon_biggrin.gif
Oh, and jenlg, again- LOVE the quote, it's one of my faves!

sayhellojana Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:53pm
post #127 of 883

I would LOVE a recipe for homemade snickers. I mean, that's as American as candy bars get, right?
I made the yummiest dark chocolate raspberry ganache. I'm going to make it again soon, so I'll pay attention to how much of what and write it down. I need to write things down more often, lol.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #128 of 883

I make a lot of chocolate raspberry buttercream. I find that using the raspberry Sour Puss alccholic beverage (otherwise known as Saturday night at our house!) really lends a good taste to it. I don't know if that helps you or not...

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:58am
post #129 of 883

Oh my gosh Michelle. I feel your pain. Last Christmas my mom threw a party for her volunteers at work. I felt like a zombie. I did 100 dozen. It took me months to make any more. I was so sick of making them. Still not crazy too and it's been a year almost.
You are wonder woman! Take a breather and just say no to cake balls for a while. I hope the wedding couple appreciated how much work you put into those, hopefully you got paid very well.

I made the chocolates in my new molds today. I put some with oreo truffle filling and some with a whiskey-marzipan filling. Then I luster dusted them. I'm for sure going to buy some cocoa butter so the chocolates look shinier and then I won't need to luster dust them. After I'm off of CC, I'm going to look at Chef Rubber for it.
Next time I'm going to make a raspberry ganache filling, carmel-bourbon filling and chocolate-chili spice filling.
I'm looking for a good passion fruit filling if anyone has one *HINT,HINT*

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:25am
post #130 of 883

Oh CC'ers, I want to join in on the fun. I love chocolate. I am making cake balls and marshmellows to ship off to Colorado in the morning.

I agree with everyone about the homemade marshmellows. Last week I had an order for decorated ones and I had to make the marshmellows. I just used a basic recipe and Oh My God! they were the best thing I've tasted since I discovered cake balls, lol.

I love this time of the year because I can spoil my friends and family with goodies.

jenlg Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:38am
post #131 of 883

Sorry my interent was down for hours, some power outage in the city. I will post the snickers recipe for everyone a little later. My fiance just got home after being gone for a month (truck driver icon_sad.gif ) so I'm really behind on everything here. So please bare with me..I'll post it for you!!!

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:43pm
post #132 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

carmel-bourbon filling *HINT,HINT*

Recipe for this one please! Sounds interesting! Would love to do a chocolate filled candy with this.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:39pm
post #133 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I'm looking for a good passion fruit filling if anyone has one *HINT,HINT*

sorry, I can't help with the passion fruit filling icon_sad.gif But I would love to have that caramel-bourbon recipe.... pleeeease icon_biggrin.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:03pm
post #134 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

Mommyle-

And if you want to soften the shell on the cake balls you can add a little veg shortening when you melt the chocolate. That should help but just add a little.

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

So I made cake balls and truffles yesterday and put shortening in the chocolate... AWESOME!!!! Even my MOM was impressed!!!!

Thanks again for the excellent advice! I'm going to start doing that when I cover cookies, too!!!

Polish_princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polish_princess Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:20pm
post #135 of 883

Thank you for starting this thread! I love chocolate and will be following very closely!!
I love the book Chocolates and confections Fantastic recipes.

But does anyone know where to find caramel bars for a good price i've found them only once and they were over $300. icon_cry.gif

mkolmar Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:05pm
post #136 of 883

The carmel-bourbon filling is actually a sauce that we use to put on dessert plates and cover desserts with. It stays more liquid like. (It probably wouldn't be hard to make thicker though)
I have to leave in a few minutes and I'll be real busy for the next few days, but I'll make sure to post it for you all.

jenlg Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:00pm
post #137 of 883

Ok, as requested here is my recipe for homemade Snickers...This is my version from one someone gave me. I normally don't share the good ones so this is a big step for me. (look at me, I'm growing) lol

*Snickers*

Ingredients:
1/4 cup light corn syrup*
2 tbsp. butter (softened)
1 tbsp. vanilla (any kind, doesn't need clear)
1/8 cup peanut butter
dash of salt
3 cups 10x sugar
36 caramel squares** (can used homemade caramel, probably about 1 - 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts

*I use a 1/4 measuring cup and fill it about 3/4 full. You want it almost full but not completely. That make sense?
**I used to use homemade caramel but this was was much easier, especially when I made alot.

1-With mixer on high, combine syrup, butter, peanut butter, vanilla, & salt until creamy.

2-Slowly add sugar. When dough like press into lightly greased pan (butter only) and refrigerate. You do not want this sticky or a rollable dough. Should be close to crumbly..explains why the corn syrup is less then 1/4 cup. More corn syrup...more sticky, more gross. Any questions, let me know. Brownie size pan, I think they are 9x13??

3-While in fridge melt caramels over low heat, when soft and melted add peanuts. It will be tough to stir with peanuts.

4-As soon as its all mixed pour over mixture in pan. Cool on countertop...DO NOT rerefrigerate!! Caramel will become too hard.

5-Once caramel mixture stiffens, cut into bite size squares and dip in chocolate. I usually cut them the size of the small bite size snickers. Put in fridge or freezer just long enough to harden chocolate, then wrap in foil squares. Do not keep in fridge.

When I cut them small size I can get about 30 & pieces, usually.

So there it is...enjoy!! Any problems or questions just let me know, happy to help!

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm
post #138 of 883

Ok guys I have a question. Does anybody know how they make those dietetic candy bars or where I can find a choclate base that would be low in sugar.

My mother is a diabetic and I drive her crazy with all the chocolate stuff I give to the relatives. I can bake lots of other stuff but I don't have anything to help in this area. I know there are gourmet candy makers who sell them, but I'd like to do some special stuff for her.

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #139 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

Ok guys I have a question. Does anybody know how they make those dietetic candy bars or where I can find a choclate base that would be low in sugar.

My mother is a diabetic and I drive her crazy with all the chocolate stuff I give to the relatives. I can bake lots of other stuff but I don't have anything to help in this area. I know there are gourmet candy makers who sell them, but I'd like to do some special stuff for her.

You can buy sugar free chocolate wherever you buy your regular chocolate; cake and candy shops usually have both. I know AJ Cake and Candy Supplies in Glendora carries it.. Use it the same as you would any other candy melts, but be careful what you use as fillings if you are concerned about the sugar.. Bittersweet and dark chocolate truffles would be a good choice as they are low in sugar...

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm
post #140 of 883

Thank you Laura,
I've been there too I'll have to go back. It is a ways but when I go visit the family.

Do you know the brand name of that chocolate by any chance?

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:37pm
post #141 of 883
Quote:

Thank you Laura,
I've been there too I'll have to go back. It is a ways but when I go visit the family.

Do you know the brand name of that chocolate by any chance?

I believe it's Merckens, but not sure... the owner, Linda Hermanns, will know though.. and she carries a lot of candy supplies..

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:39pm
post #142 of 883

My cake supply also carries it I think it is Merchens at least the choc I see is.

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 8:42pm
post #143 of 883

Thank you both, believe it or not where I am located the supply shops do not carry it. And there are 3 of them.

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #144 of 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

My cake supply also carries it I think it is Merchens at least the choc I see is.

Hey there fiddlesticks! I am making handdipped chocolate truffles today for a Halloween party...... and they are hard to resist... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:06pm
post #145 of 883

Well Laura,

Why not send some my way, hahahaha

sayhellojana Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:31pm
post #146 of 883

Thank you so much for the homemade snickers recipe! I'm totally excited to try this. I wish my molds would hurry up and get in. The only ones that survived the move are easter bunnies....not that I wouldn't enjoy the irony.

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 10:41pm
post #147 of 883
Quote:

Well Laura,

Why not send some my way, hahahaha

I should do that icon_smile.gif If they stay here much longer, I will be forced to eat a few icon_wink.gif

mkolmar Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:30pm
post #148 of 883

Thanks for growing and sharing your recipe jenlg. icon_wink.gif

I have 2 caramel-bourbon recipes that I use.

Caramel-bourbon sauce

Sauce
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 tablespoons bourbon
1 1/2 cups pecans, toasted, cooled

Bring sugar, cream, butter, corn syrup, and salt to boil in deep medium saucepan, whisking until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium; boil 1 minute without stirring. Remove from heat. Stir in bourbon, then pecans. Cool, stirring occasionally.

I use this to drizzle over some desserts. I'm going to try to thicken it so I can use it for a center in a candy.

Caramel Bourbon Vanilla Sauce

Makes 2 cups
⢠ 2 cups sugar
⢠ 1 cup heavy cream
⢠ 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
⢠ 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
⢠ 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
⢠ 1 tablespoon bourbon
Directions
1.  Combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in a 2-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Without stirring, cook mixture until dark amber in color, swirling the pan carefully while cooking, about 20 minutes.
2.  Reduce the heat to low. Slowly add cream, stirring with a wooden spoon. Scrape the vanilla seeds into the pan, and add the pod. Add lemon juice, butter, and bourbon. Stir to combine.
3.  Cover, and store, refrigerated, up to 1 week. Bring sauce to room temperature, or warm over low heat, before using.

*I like the 1st one the best. Now I just have to thicken them so I can use them for candies, unless I keep it as more of a liquid center.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #149 of 883

icon_lol.gif Real Funny Laura ! icon_cry.gif You did get my address right ??? Remember the pm I sent you so you could mail those my way ??? icon_lol.gif What type did you make? Plain choc or ????
Ok Now Im so wanting these, I hope they show up soon ! icon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm
post #150 of 883
Quote:

Just another sugar free couverture chocolate source for ya:

http://chocoley.com/v125indulgencecouverturechocolate-sugarfree.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%