Decorating By Kim040508 Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 2:54am by Kim040508

Kim040508 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:15am
post #1 of 11

Call me silly but, is sugarpaste the same as fondant? icon_confused.gif
Thanks for the help.

10 replies
kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #2 of 11

I believe it is. OR it might be gumpaste but I think it's fondant.
It depends what country you are in as to what it is called.

chutzpah Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:35am
post #3 of 11

Yes, it is.

bashini Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 11

Hi, Sugarpaste and Fondant are the same.

And Gumpaste and Modeling paste are the same.

chutzpah Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 11

Actually, gumpaste and modeling paste are not the same thing.

Gumpaste and flowerpaste, however, are.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 11

There is a vast world of ambiguity out there. In fact ambiguity is an understatement. Different groups of decorators call all these different products by interchangable names.

As an aside my daughter seems to have hundreds of friends who share maybe a handful of names so I never really know who she's referencing same principle but I digress.

Just try nailing down the definitions online even, much less from book to decorating book. I would quote some books but we are still painting (aghhh!!) and those books are in boxes.

But I mean just look at the handful of conflicting responses you've already received. Trust me everybody calls it different--no kidding.

Just some 'depends on which way the wind is blowing' thoughts for you.


superstar Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 11

Just so I don't confuse myself!!!LOL, I always call fondant that I have added Tylose sugarpaste, I might sometimes refer to it as gumpaste too. I call fondant....fondant. Yes, call it what you will, it is the same thing.

jessfmaldonado Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 11

Okay here is what I have read. Fondant and sugarpaste are the same. Gumpaste and flower paste are the same. Modeling paste and fondant that has tylose/cmc added to it are the same.

Jessica icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 11

if you have any instructions/books from the UK, AUS and RSA, fondant is called sugarpaste and gumpaste is called flowerpaste in these countries modelling paste usually stays modelling paste

bashini Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 11

Actually, gumpaste and modeling paste are not the same thing.

Gumpaste and flowerpaste, however, are.

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I'm sure I saw it somewhere or heard somebody saying they are same. icon_redface.gif

Kim040508 Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:54am
post #11 of 11

Thanks a lot everyone, I'm not as confused anymore. I appreciate all the help!! icon_biggrin.gif


Quote by @%username% on %date%