10.24.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 5:42pm by BlueDevil

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #31 of 68

Yeah, crazy, we have to take care of family. I'm doing one for free for SIL on Monday.

Aphrodite is, umm . . . well endowed. She's very well done.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:50am
post #32 of 68

tdybear, I'm not explaining it right. The gel goes all over the pretty side of the leaf. The top side versus the bottom side.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:51am
post #33 of 68

OK, my guest made it back to the B&B all in one piece. Whew!!

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:51am
post #34 of 68

I finally got to turn my oven off. YEAH!!!!!! Just iced my 16" square. My icing is not working. Bride wants Bettercreme. The stuff just won't smooth. My son is helping, he is cleaning up the mess I made on the board. He's nine and loves to help me with cakes.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #35 of 68

Have you got too much air whipped into the Bettercreme? Have you tried using the mixer paddle for a few minutes?

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #36 of 68

Hey can you all help me choose a Kitchen aid stand mixer? I am getting one for christmas from my parents and can't decide what one would be best for me... I am mostly a hobby baker, but I want to be able to make a full batch of sugarshacks icing.

weefoot Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:11am
post #37 of 68

Actually, I bought a 5 gallon bucket already to use. Maybe I should whip it a little. I stirred it up. Maybe it's still a little frozen. Would that cause the problem?

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:12am
post #38 of 68

From my experience the KA Artisan is better than the KA Pro. But the Cuisanart is better than the KA. The Viking also has a great rep. What's the budget?

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:14am
post #39 of 68

Hmmm . . . weefoot, I've only ever used the kind you whip. Generally speaking though, the RTU stuff isn't really. You always have to do something to it.

Anyone else able to chime in?

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #40 of 68

Dad said keep it at around $300

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:20am
post #41 of 68

I am very tired as well. I've already had a disaster tonight! Long story short.....the order didn't get finalize until Thursday for a 3 tier offset square with three different flavors. She then tells me she wants it Friday afternoon! I work full time elsewhere. I said I'd try to get it done by 7pm. She is driving 2 hrs here to pick it up. I never send out stacked cakes but that is what shewanted. Got the cakes done in time. Her DH comes in a pick up truck to pick up the cake! icon_surprised.gif He puts it on the floor of the back seat and leaves. Wife calls about an hour later and the to layer of the cake has slid off icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_evil.gif and she is asking what I can do but he didn't want to turn around and drive an hour back. Well what the heck?!? I suggested that she wait to see what the cake looked like and try to save it. If not, put bouquet of flowers on top.

I had the cake supported like crazy but I'm assuming since the icing was so fresh that the movement of driving caused it to slide?? I don't know!!

My DH says I shoudl give the money back. What do you think???? I worked my butt off getting this finished. icon_sad.gif I'll post the pic in a second.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:23am
post #42 of 68

Nope, no $ back. Once the cake leaves your hands, it's no longer your responsibilty. Boqet of flowers is as good a solution as any.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:23am
post #43 of 68

Hi Everyone,

Nice to see that other members are up and busy tonight too - I don't feel so lonely! I decided to take a little break (it's 1:45 am here!) and take a peak at CC and here you all are!!

I have a three tier wedding cake (baked but not decorated yet), 70 caramel apples for wedding favours (half done - ran out of caramels icon_mad.gif ), 100 cupcakes for another wedding (not baked yet but I do have the sp leaves made for them) and a small cake topper that needs to be decorated with chocolate fondant. All this due for tomorrow icon_cry.gif I've been working all day and night on these orders but for some reason, it doesn't seem like I'm making any headway. I HATE all-nighters!!!

Cheers to all fellow CC'ers who are also working their tails off tonight!

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:28am
post #44 of 68

If you have a local Linen N things, they are liquidating, so watch for stand mixers. The Cuisinart is $360 right now for the 7 qt one. It holds a large amount and you will love it. The 5.5 qt is $270.

Looks like the 7qt Cuisinart is $400 everywhere else. Didn't check Ebay.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:29am
post #45 of 68

Oh, classy, I think you're going to be up all night!!

PS - FNCC meets every Friday Night.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:32am
post #46 of 68

www.chefsresource.com is offering the 7qt for $400 with a bonus attachment and free shipping this weekend only.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:35am
post #47 of 68

ahhh, okay i get it now. I am assuming though that there is not any curl to these right? I want them to look as natural as possible

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:40am
post #48 of 68

You put very, very, very little gel on them and that helps them not curl. I think they look more realistic this way. And my customers have been amazed.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:41am
post #49 of 68

OK, I'm reasonably done and the kitchen is reasonably clean. Talk amongst yourselves.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:54am
post #50 of 68

I have a 5.5 qt KA Artisan. I'm a home baker too. It's a decent price and I adore it. I don't know the recipe for sugarshack's icing, so I do not know if this will hold it. But, I've had mind for over a year, it gets worked like crazy, and it's still operates like new.

leahs - I'm intrigued by your leaf technique. Do you have a photo?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:54am
post #51 of 68

No cakes for me this weekend! Just wanted to pop in and offer support, but it seems my CA time is a lot earlier than all y'alls. (10pm here).

Good night!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:56am
post #52 of 68

MacsMom - I'm in the same time zone, so I still get to enjoy re-runs of HOUSE.
Actually, I moved to AZ less than a year ago. I'm from Northern California, Chico.

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:01am
post #53 of 68

My first post to the FNCC!! - have a guitar cake due Sun for DS 16th b-day. He has a very specific one that he wants me to reproduce so I've been stressing over it since....July!!?! I know, I know, should have started earlier but you know how things get busy and you figure you have time....anyway, 2 16" squares are baked and cooling. I'll make a couple of batches of icing tonight and start the carving/decorating tomorrow (Sat). Kind of stressing that part since I've never carved a cake. I did make a pound cake recipe but I don't have fridge/freezer space to chill. Will have to work carefully so I won't even try it tonight.

Oh, forgot to mention that I have a cold and am hopped up on cold medicine (!!!) icon_redface.gif , hubby is also sick with a cold but he's crabbier than I am and didn't have to make dinner, clean the kitchen and put the kids to bed!! icon_mad.gif I still have to wait for the aforementioned soon-to-be-16-yo to call from school to get picked up after playing in the band at the HS football game.

I'll try to remember to check back in after I get some icing made - it's only 10pm here and I'm ready for bed!

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:17am
post #54 of 68

How do you guys make several cakes a day??? I am still staying up all night just to get one done. I'm sure having a KA would help, I'm still using a hand mixer, but I still spend hours just on the decorating of one cake. You guys amaze me!!!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:32am
post #55 of 68

Leahs - I think I need a leaf tutorial! Post some pics next time you make some!! Is it kind of like doing the wafer paper butterflies? There's a tutorial here on cc for them, and the leaves sound similar.

Not much going on for me tonight, but then it's closing in on 1am. A crossword puzzle cake done and picked up, a 12" round carrot cake done for tomorrow. All that's left is 12 cupcakes (bc swirled w/ sprinkles), a 10" choc cake iced w/ choc bc and topped w/ choc curls, then an 8" fondant covered cake w/ gumpaste orchids and fondant swirly thingys. Most all the prep work is done, cakes are baked, one is filled & crumbcoated, orchids are dusted, and kitchen is reasonably clean for a fresh start tomorrow.

I like FNCC - thanks for letting me stop by! icon_smile.gif Goodnight ya'll!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:18am
post #56 of 68

How about chcolate maple tree leaves? You just paint melted chocolate on the back of maple leaves and leave to set. Once set, peel it off. Can't get easier than that. I saw it in a British sugarcraft magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

Leahs - I think I need a leaf tutorial! Post some pics next time you make some!! Is it kind of like doing the wafer paper butterflies? There's a tutorial here on cc for them, and the leaves sound similar.

Not much going on for me tonight, but then it's closing in on 1am. A crossword puzzle cake done and picked up, a 12" round carrot cake done for tomorrow. All that's left is 12 cupcakes (bc swirled w/ sprinkles), a 10" choc cake iced w/ choc bc and topped w/ choc curls, then an 8" fondant covered cake w/ gumpaste orchids and fondant swirly thingys. Most all the prep work is done, cakes are baked, one is filled & crumbcoated, orchids are dusted, and kitchen is reasonably clean for a fresh start tomorrow.

I like FNCC - thanks for letting me stop by! icon_smile.gif Goodnight ya'll!

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:38am
post #57 of 68

Hi there all!,

I did a 4tier chocolate cake with red flowers for today.
Not quite finished as I will finish stacking at the venue later this morning.

Leah, I read how you do those fall leaves...........from what I can make out you put the colored piping gel on the paper leaves, right? After applying your different colored gels do you leave the paper and put it on the cake just like that. Or am I being/asking a stupid question here??

weefoot Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:45am
post #58 of 68

It's almost 3am and I'm still not done. I still need to finish icing a sheet cake and a little 6". I will have to do the decorating in the morning. Fortunately it's only dots. I'm going to finish my last two cakes and go to bed.

firehorse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firehorse Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:56am
post #59 of 68

I thought I had it bad baking 8 cakes today (really 8 layers if I think about it). I don't know how you guys do it. Still have to decorate and make it through to Monday night with a very very full weekend schedule, but I will survive!

I'll have to check back on Fridays - you guys are very inspiring... thanks for letting me pop in.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:03am
post #60 of 68

Hi firehorse - no cake for me tonight. Good luck on your cake tomorrow. You sound like you are whupped!

No cake, but I did go thru my whole caking area and reorganize every single item, down the last scraper & paper liners! icon_lol.gif I was wishing I could find my label maker...I know I've got one. I'm going to label every single drawer & cuboard space. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%