Tired Of Wilton's Substandard Products

Decorating By trumpetmidget Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 11:03pm by Ayanami

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:57pm
post #31 of 67

I don't think Wilton's products are sub-standard for the customer base they're targeting...the beginner/occasional baker/decorator.

I love their pans for two reasons, cakes bake well in them and they clean easily(I prefer ML because they more rigid)

Other than the stainless steel tips, Wilton's tips are far superior to the others.

Although something may not be done about it today, they as with any company, appreciate feedback on their product(s)...good and bad.

They've produced items that help us create incredible designs(sometimes, the broken item caused us to use it in ways other than it was made for).

KitchenWytch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenWytch Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:00pm
post #32 of 67

Glad Im not the only one with not liking Wilton.When I first started
out everywhere I went seemed to be Wilton. The products never work
out for me but the decorating tips. Thankful that this site has helped me see and know there are other places to get better stuff, along with great books
(Thanks guys! My bookshelf is groaning!..lol) and online sites.

So far Iv been getting better things on Ebay and
ShopBakersNook

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:03pm
post #33 of 67

I'm sorry to say that I agree wholeheartedly with Melvira, I too am inuriated with the wilton products. I stupidly went out and got thier big leveler and the only thing I leveled with that was my finger (nice gash). I try not to purchase thier stuff If i possibly can. I think it's all a rip off!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:05pm
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Quote:

That being said, I do want to praise the one thing I do buy from Wilton...their thick silver cake boards that come in pairs. They look simple and compliment cakes very well, and are pretty sturdy.

I love those boards as well! I get them with Michael's 40% off coupon and still find I save over having to order them online. Obviously, I'm not making huge numbers of cakes where that equation would be different. I also like (in their new line of yellow-handled items) the Cake Lifter. I have used it many times now and actually went out and bought a second one with my coupon from Michael's.

As for pans --Fat Daddios (sp?) are awesome and I have found a local culinary supply store that has just started stocking them. I'm really blessed to live in an area with an awesome resturant supply store, many cake supply stores and an incredible gourmet cuisine shop. Between those places, I can usually find what I'm hunting for, or they will order it in for me saving me the postage.

When ordering online, I love Global Sugar Art and Country Kitchen SweetArt (they ship so fast it's like ACME on Road Runner Cartoons!)

If you are a hobby baker, Satin Ice is expensive. I don't think you can beat making it from scratch with Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe found on this site. Pennies for pound it outmatches anything commercially produced I have ever used or tasted!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:32pm
post #35 of 67

I only do a few cakes a month, so I guess I'm still mostly hobby. That being said, I can't see trading in my Wilton pans quite yet (they work well for me, but then I've had just the regular grocery store pans up until now, which are like baking in a tin pie-plate). I LOVE lots of things of theirs, and I ALWAYS use the plastic rings on my roller stick (whatever it's called.) when I'm making cookies in particular. And I love the huge grid cooling rack (I have 2) and the large cookie sheet, you know, the one you can use to help you torte a sheet cake. Love the tips and the disposable icing bags, and I even ended up buying parchment triangles, just because I hate making them myself, and I had a 40% off coupon. There are a few things that I regret buying, but I've wasted money in other ways before. And for anything over $5 I usually use a 40% off. Now there are a number of things I WON'T buy, based on what you guys have said, but generally I'm really happy with their products. Although, that might also be because I don't know any better!!!! And, no, I'm not a rep!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I don't think Wilton's products are sub-standard for the customer base they're targeting...the beginner/occasional baker/decorator.

Ok, I am going to agree with that. You are absolutely right there. I thought they were awesome for the first six months or so, until I really started going crazy with new techniques, etc. So, yes, for someone who is just doing the occasional character cake, or something that fits the Wilton 'mold', they do provide some decent equipment.

I will also agree I use their tips and disposable bags a lot. Those are two things that have remained helpful to me!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:09pm
post #37 of 67

By the time I'm done teaching students C3, Fondant & Gumpaste and the Advanced Gumpaste Flowers class (nto taught at all stores, it's a select few beacuse Wilton has to approve us to teach and not everyone is qualified to teach it properly) I know if a student is going to remain a hobbiest and do occasional cakes or if the bug has bit them.

My students know I will be bluntly honest if something is a good buy or not. They know to ask "do you have that". If I say yes they buy it, if I say no they ask "can I call you to talk about it later" to which I answer "absolutely."

The seriously addicted caker though knows how to google for sites, companies, and pictures so 99% of them will ask about here, Global Sugar, and such in class and I tell them "I frequent there all the time." They know after class if they finish early we can go for a soda and talk cake. Most of them will put their chair on the rolling rack and help me toss trash and fold tablecloths to help. icon_lol.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:20pm
post #38 of 67
poconogrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poconogrl Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:48pm
post #39 of 67

Im so glad I saw this thread. I just got the Wilton buttercream mix and it is so gross. The ease of hopping over tothe closest hobby shop is great but there product dont stand the test of time. And there fondant tastes so "industrial" if that makes sense lol

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:50pm
post #40 of 67

totally agree I hate Wilton too......the sad thing is that I took the classes and started buying all their produces before I realized what crap they are. Now I'm slowly replacing all my Wilton pans and stuff. I had so many problems with their stuff that I have complained but I'm sure it does not good.....it just made me feel better for the moment.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

How about the poor souls that are convinced to buy this???

https://www.decoratorkit.com/?s_kwcid=betty%20crocker%20cake%20decorating%20set|958503859&gclid=CPP456HQ15YCFQMQswodJxgt3w

LOL! My MIL was going to buy this for me last year for Christmas and I told her that I already had all the cake supplies I needed. Thank goodness she didn't get it for me!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:18am
post #42 of 67
Quote:

https://www.decoratorkit.com/?s_kwcid=betty%20crocker%20cake%20decorating%20set|958503859&gclid=CPP456HQ15YCFQMQswodJxgt3w

Oh now that is really bad! Plastic tips! omg. I'm especially intrigued by that big 'ole plastic thing in the decoratoring bag. Assuming you can't squeeze the icing once the icing level gets below that plastic thingy, just think about how much icing you'll have to (clears throat) "buy" from betty crocker to fill that bag. Hmmmmm????

I had been making cakes for 5-6 years when my mom bought me a tip set for Christmas ... supposedly from my little brother, but everyone knew she picked out all the gifts. Plastic tips. I'd been making cakes professionally for over 5 years and she buys me plastic tips. icon_confused.gif

Melvira Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:28am
post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm especially intrigued by that big 'ole plastic thing in the decoratoring bag. Assuming you can't squeeze the icing once the icing level gets below that plastic thingy, just think about how much icing you'll have to (clears throat) "buy" from betty crocker to fill that bag. Hmmmmm????

OMG! I said the same thing to my DH! I laughed at the commercial... I thought it was a joke at first! I mean, the color combos on those cakes... whew!! Ick! And yes, the frosting 'applicator' is a real joke... like you said, you'd have to have that sucker so full of icing to use it!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:28am
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Oh now that is really bad! Plastic tips! omg. I'm especially intrigued by that big 'ole plastic thing in the decoratoring bag. Assuming you can't squeeze the icing once the icing level gets below that plastic thingy, just think about how much icing you'll have to (clears throat) "buy" from betty crocker to fill that bag. Hmmmmm????

I had been making cakes for 5-6 years when my mom bought me a tip set for Christmas ... supposedly from my little brother, but everyone knew she picked out all the gifts. Plastic tips. I'd been making cakes professionally for over 5 years and she buys me plastic tips. icon_confused.gif

I was wondering how the "plunger" she was using worked. It cracks me up the commercial says "you can make professional looking cakes at home!"....uhmm....which professional do you think they mean?

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:29am
post #45 of 67
Quote:

Lord, that looks like an alien baby bottle!

Melvira Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:38am
post #46 of 67

Oh, I'm sorry... it's the "multi-directional applicator"! Please, don't let me misquote it! icon_lol.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:07am
post #47 of 67

I can't tell you how many of my students show up to Course 1 with that set.

I am honestly going to have to break down and get it just to see it and use it. I try not to be rude and say "only Wilton in class" because I know some people in our area can't afford the kit but want to learn the cakes for under the table cash. I try not to deny them because I know what it's like to need money for gas and to feed my family.

When I returned from my ankle break (I was flat on my back for 3 months it was so bad) in May that I changed my course from "Wilton way or no way" to "this is about fun, in class it's the Wilton way but out of class we can get together for all around cake fun".

This is exactly why I am starting a local cake club. Those that want to learn after Wilton have the ability that way.

I will never do a sales pitch where they feel they have to buy. I often take my own extras in for them to try first. I print out coupons from the net and if they like it and want it they can get an extra discount outside of their 10% for being a current student.

I want them happy and doing cakes long term be it with Wilton products or not.

chookbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chookbrown Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:34pm
post #48 of 67

Whew, I really thought the problem with the large cake leveler was ME! Have returned to using my big serrated knife instead. I thought I was getting a useful piece of equipment but um, no.

I had also purchased the biggest cupcake tree and that thing would not stay together. Its wires kept springing out of the bottom. Basically it was not at all worth the 40 bux I had paid for it. I tried telling the Wilton rep at the ICES trade show and she didn't really seem that interested in helping me replace it.

I ended up just buying another one since my daughter wanted to have it at her bridal shower. More money!

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 6:57pm
post #49 of 67

Wow!!! Im new at all this & haven't had a chance to experience other brands OTHER than just Wilton. Plus my instructor encourages to buy all wilton products & says they are the best you will get. On the other hand my sister is taking the course in another city & her instructor is different, she will tell them what items to purchase for a cheaper price that will work just as well as the wilton item etc.

I don't know of any other products, I havent had a chance to research thru any other websites who sell bake items so if you all can give me some good websites to visit, thatr would be GREAT. Im taking this in as a hobby right now but hopefully in the future after more practice, I am planning on making this into a businness icon_biggrin.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 7:20pm
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiia

Has anyone tried any pans from Lloyd industries? They look good but not sure what pans to get if not wilton. Christy

I found this web site a while back and asked the same thing ...but no responses. I'd love to hear if anyone uses them.

Thanks

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:10pm
post #51 of 67

I guess I fall into the "Hobbist" category since I only make a handful of cakes per month for some off the record cash. icon_wink.gif I only have Michaels-JoAnns-Hobby Lobby around me so I have been decorating with mostly Wilton products as that is all I have readily available to me. (there might be a cake store about 20 miles away ... icon_confused.gif )

I continue to buy disposable Wilton products (bags/cake boards/color gel) but I am definately interested in some good quality pans for my most used sizes.

Otherwise I am more of an experimenter & tend to make things up as I go along. I love to make custom carved cakes. icon_smile.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:55pm
post #52 of 67

First off Ayanami.....I got so excited when I saw Katara as your avatar (I'm watching Avatar right now icon_lol.gif ) then I see you have the same birthday as me........you just made my day thumbs_up.gif

If you can't tell I'm sooooo not a professional baker icon_redface.gif I use some wilton stuff and like it, but I have found alot of their stuff to be crap. I do order a lot of stuff online, but when I'm in San Diego I love to go to do it with icing. That's where I get most of my stuff. Sadly, I haven't been down there in a while icon_cry.gif

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:18pm
post #53 of 67

I have a few of their products. They seem to work fine. I'll keep you posted if I ave any problems.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:11am
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

Not that it would help, but I have written Wilton on their website to complain about things. All you get is the standard "we will look into it" but at least a complaint has been registered and hopefully someone in product control is looking.

deb

Oh sweetie, if you think that's going to happen I have a bridge I'd like to sell you icon_lol.gif

No offense meant. There is a thread here about how someone started a petition for them to change their fondant. They have received hundreds, if not thousands, of complaints about the taste of their fondant. Wilton has made it clear that they have absolutely NO intention of changing it.

Melvira Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:41am
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

They have received hundreds, if not thousands, of complaints about the taste of their fondant. Wilton has made it clear that they have absolutely NO intention of changing it.

Not only that... they won't stop marketing it as 'pleasant tasting'. Jerks. It's pleasant tasting if you're into eating Elmer's.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:33am
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

They have received hundreds, if not thousands, of complaints about the taste of their fondant. Wilton has made it clear that they have absolutely NO intention of changing it.

Not only that... they won't stop marketing it as 'pleasant tasting'. Jerks. It's pleasant tasting if you're into eating Elmer's.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

mommyle Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:15am
post #57 of 67

Okay, seriously, the fondant isn't that bad... after two bottles of wine!!! And I LOVE how they seem to have THE ULTIMATE recipe for buttercream. "1 cup of shortening..." UGH!!!
Funny story... I was in picking up cakeboards one evening, and some poor guy was standing there with DIEGO pans, buying the appropriate colors, and tubes of black and brown icing (no, not the colorings...) and asking about piping icing and so on. The poor girl had no clue. He asked how many cups the standard icing recipe makes. She had no clue. I jumped in at that point. "NEVER, EVER use shortening in your BC!!!" I practically screamed. He said "Won't it melt???" I said "Are you putting it under a heat-lamp???" Let's face it, right now it is about 45 - 50 degrees outside. He has obviously taken a class or two, and was NOT properly informed! He also had no idea that you need thinner icing to write with or it will break, and no clue about piping gel. I just wanted to hug to poor soul.

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:16am
post #58 of 67

where is the best place to buy fondant from?? Ive only tasted Wilton's fondant before. It actually wasnt so bad, I added flavor to it. No one complained.

mommyle Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:22am
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaste

where is the best place to buy fondant from?? Ive only tasted Wilton's fondant before. It actually wasnt so bad, I added flavor to it. No one complained.

If you are just doing a cake here and there, I highly recommend making Michele Foster's fondant (recipe found on this site) or making MarshMallow Fondant (also found here). Super easy and WAY tasty!

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:26am
post #60 of 67

I have bought Wilton supplies and I would have to say that thereâs only been a few things that I am not happy with. I hate the fondant. (I bought 2 boxes for $10 each before being introduced to Satin Ice and Fondarific (I hope I spelled that right). I use that crappy fondant for non edible decorations like bows. I did buy the pasley pans, and I have mix feeling about them. Thank god that I only spent $20 bucks on them. I had a 50% off coupon form AC Moore. I might sell them on ebay, who knows) The bad thing about living where I live is that the only place that carry cake decorating supplies is Michaels and AC Moore which carry Wilton. I did find a store in Philadelphia that sells fat daddio and magic line. Cant wait to check out the store.

And just a quick note on the Betty Crocker decorating kit. My mom gave my daughter this for Christmas last year and this is how she got started with decorating and then took the Wilton courses and now Iâm hooked. (Yeah Iâm the one who is hooked. She likes to decorate every once in a while) She doesnât use it any more, she likes to use mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%