Tired Of Wilton's Substandard Products

Decorating By trumpetmidget Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 11:03pm by Ayanami

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 67

Does anybody else have problems with Wilton products or is it just me? I just feel like they are putting out c***. I bought a leveler - one of the big ones and spent more time than ever making my cake level. What a waste of $20. I bought a professional turntable - it is not level. Their stuff is constantly breaking or doesn't do what it is supposed to do. I try not to buy Wilton when I can, but the closest cake store is 40 minutes away from my house. So, I am stuck buying from Michaels and A.C. Moore. I just needed to vent because they are supposed to be THE cake supplier and IMHO, their products are stinky.

66 replies
SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #2 of 67

I totally agree. As a part time caker I've only invested $ into some of the more expensive necessary tools and have made do with some of the Wilton too. The only thing I have near me is AC Moore or Michaels, otherwise I have to order everything online. I don't particularly like the Wilton yearbooks anymore and yet I still always buy it when the new ones come out!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #3 of 67

Sorry to hear you are having trouble, but frankly I'm not surprised. This has been an ongoing issue for years with Wilton. The small leveler (with the wire) is very good but the large one isn't. The blade is too flimsy and it wobbles while you are trying to torte the cake. My suggestion is to ask around to those who do buy Wilton products before investing in your own -- they have a few good items (very few) but trying to figure out which ones is a whole other game.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:21am
post #4 of 67

Repeat after me "Wilton = crap."

They aren't THE cake supplier, they're just the ones with the best advertising. Every other company makes better products, but yes, you may have to purchase online.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #5 of 67

I agree about the Wilton stuff - cheap and, IMHO, very old-fashioned. From the class projects to their books and supplies - I don't think they've updated anything from the 1970's. I only kept going to the classes because I had a FABULOUS instructor who gave us so many great tips and inside hints, but I hated the class projects and haven't made ONE of the cakes from class since then.

The thing that really irks me is that I think their fondant is the best for workability, accepting color, molding shapes, etc. but it tastes like industrial paint thinner. And it just went up in price where I live (San Antonio).

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:39am
post #6 of 67

I had the exact same thought not too long ago. CCers have been mentioning websites here and there, which I bookmarked, so I finally took a look, compared some prices of stuff on my wishlist, and ordered from cakedeco.com and my package came in today. I was missing one small item, but they are sending it out - so overall I'm really happy. Everything in my box looks MUCH more sturdy than wilton. And they were cheaper.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #7 of 67

I taught classes for a while, and I was always honest with my students about Wilton's products. (I know, I know....not the greatest Wilton rep. by miles.)

That being said, I do want to praise the one thing I do buy from Wilton...their thick silver cake boards that come in pairs. They look simple and compliment cakes very well, and are pretty sturdy.

I want to quickly agree with a previous poster about how dated a lot of their cakes and products are. They really need a team to re-vamp their instruction books and supplies.

angie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:29am
post #8 of 67

Since many of wilton's pans are marked "for home use only", do you think it's because they seem to be marketing to the home baker, ergo they are not focused on making "quality commercial grade" stuff?

I am comparing this to my change in food-shopping habits. Since I have started buying thru comm'l food distributors, I just HATE buying ANYTHING in the regular grocery anymore. The quality difference is night and day! The stuff they "stick" us housewives with is so sub-par .... I just hate it all anymore.

So ..... if Wilton's marketing plan is to focus on the hobby bakers, the ones who might try to make a cake or two for their kids, then the quality of their stuff makes sense. All of us on CC know the difference in quality products ... cake civilians have no idea.

I have no idea if this is their marketing focus or not ... just throwing out an idea for discussion.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:34am
post #9 of 67

Yeah Wilton is not so much the gold standard is it.

But

I really like their off white color --what's it called...umm, y'know the antique white stuff...umm taupe? no. tea stained? no.

You know what I mean.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:35am
post #10 of 67

Candlelight? no argh...what's it called???

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:40am
post #11 of 67

IVORY stinking ivory!!!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:44am
post #12 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

IVORY stinking ivory!!!

Hahahaha icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Since many of wilton's pans are marked "for home use only", do you think it's because they seem to be marketing to the home baker, ergo they are not focused on making "quality commercial grade" stuff?

I am comparing this to my change in food-shopping habits. Since I have started buying thru comm'l food distributors, I just HATE buying ANYTHING in the regular grocery anymore. The quality difference is night and day! The stuff they "stick" us housewives with is so sub-par .... I just hate it all anymore.

So ..... if Wilton's marketing plan is to focus on the hobby bakers, the ones who might try to make a cake or two for their kids, then the quality of their stuff makes sense. All of us on CC know the difference in quality products ... cake civilians have no idea.

I have no idea if this is their marketing focus or not ... just throwing out an idea for discussion.

This is exactly who they are marketing to, the mom who wants to do birthday cakes for their family and friends and nothing more.

Their things are geared towards simpler designs, simpler tastes, and not "professional bakers".

It gets people's feet wet and lets them try their hand at cake decorating with a less expensive investment to see if they really like it.

Some students after C3 bring me their things saying "Take it all. I'll never scream about over priced cakes, this isn't for me!" while others get the cake bug and I can then direct them after completing the classes to places where they can invest into other brands, product lines if they want.

As for their cakes looking dated... I never have students follow the book. I tell them to think outside the box and decorate them how they want. In the year I've been teaching I've had only one student do a cake that looks like the cake on the cover of their course book and it was just recently with C3.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 67

I agree, Wilton is geared towards the housewife, the person who is just going to make an occasional cake here and there. There fore their stuff is made cheaply and sold relatively cheaply. They are available everywhere and have a wonderful marketing department. They have really brought cake decorating to the masses, And without them many of us would not be here doing what we do.

That being said, i used to teach wilton classes, and i didn't hesitate to tell people what products were worth buying and what i wouldn't waste money on. The large leveler being what i believe is their largest failure.

Teaching in the local cake store, that does carry some other products, you would be shocked to find the number of people that come in and will only buy wilton because of the name. Which of course goes back to their marketing.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:25pm
post #15 of 67

Really its hit and miss...somethings are worth returning then there are others I swear by! Most of the tips are acceptable and becoz they are cheap you dont mind tossing them out after a while. I have the ss turntable and contrary to alot of bad reviews I love mine.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #16 of 67

I recently bought the new spatula for the stand mixer that Wilton came out with and I don't like it. It is too thick and clumsy and really does not fit into the bowl right because they put a foot on it to keep it off the counter.I do how ever love the large fondant rolling pin and I no longer use my standard one.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #17 of 67

im a hobby baker,and all we have here is micheals and hobby lobby,oh.. and joanns,forgot about them. i HATE that its all wilton and there is such a limited selection to pick from. like foils... gold,white,silver,thats it. since i dont use fondant alot, i do use their brand (yuck),but just for decorations. i dont like the small wilton leveler,it doesn't cut through the cakes. i have to cut into the cake with a knife first,then use the leveler.so not even hobby bakers are happy with using alot of wilton products.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:25am
post #18 of 67

I'm in the same boat -- I just have Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnn's close by me. What companies do you all recommend buying products from? I don't mind the internet.. I just need to know what brands of things to use. Pans in particular come to mind. Feel free to say anything else as well.

Thanks in advance!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:01am
post #19 of 67

I have found that you can't go wrong buying from Globalsugarart.com they have fast friendly service, and a variety of products including some wilton, but i wouldn't hold that against them icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 9:51am
post #20 of 67

Not that it would help, but I have written Wilton on their website to complain about things. All you get is the standard "we will look into it" but at least a complaint has been registered and hopefully someone in product control is looking.

deb

CakeChica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChica Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #21 of 67

I am so glad I read this. I was close to purchasing the big Wilton cake leveler, I have the small one and use it sometimes it's ok, I sometimes find myself just cutting the cake tops off with my knife. As a "newbie" to cake decorating I am finding Wiltons products crap and am now searching online for more professional products. They are fine to start off with but I agree they are crap and just not good enough for me anymore. I really like to buy on line now and am trying to collect names of all the companies that are good to buy from.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #22 of 67

Pans - Magic Line

Cake leveler - Agbay (there's no competition) (www.AgbayProducts.com)

Fondant - Satin Ice
(www.f o n d a n t s o u r c e .com)

Gumpaste flowers www.avalondeco.com or www.discountsugarflowers.com both good. I tend to buy from Avalon because I like to buy from small businesses like myself. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:16pm
post #23 of 67

Thanks Leahs! I guess you don't need to answer the other post about fondant that I asked you about today!

saiia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saiia Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:40pm
post #24 of 67

Has anyone tried any pans from Lloyd industries? They look good but not sure what pans to get if not wilton. Christy

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:08pm
post #25 of 67

Wish I had read this post a few weeks ago. I recently bought the large leveler (I did get it on sale though) and was not happy with the results when I used it. I thought it was just me since I am new to cake decorating but I guess not. Good to know that not everything that doesn't go right isn't my fault.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm
post #26 of 67

Wilton stinks. Do yourself a HUGE favor and start ordering your products online from some of the suppliers you will hear about here. You'll be glad you did. There are NO cake stores anywhere in my state, so I order everything online. The only thing I get from Wilton is if someone wants some specific cupcake liners or something like that. I'd like to take several of the Wilton items I stupidly purchased and 'return' them to the person who conceived them. (that's my nice way of saying I'd like to less-than-gently place them in someone's orifice)

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE: The levelers, and that horrible, horrible plastic contraption 'icing sculptor'. That thing should be sacrificed to the cake Gods in an effort to rid the world of the scourge that it truly is. Not only is it worthless crap, it's overpriced worthless crap.

And as for complaining to the company, it's a nice thought, but it won't change anything. As long as people continue to buy all this garbage, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:36pm
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

And as for complaining to the company, it's a nice thought, but it won't change anything. As long as people continue to buy all this garbage, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Aint that the truth!!

They have done a great job of channeling their product out there. I recently packed up all of my wilton pans and gave them to a friend who just started doing fun cakes. They are having a blast with them, so I'm glad.

I started too doing all Wilton stuff, I wonder where I would be without the recipes, suggestions, ideas and encouragement of CC. Probably would of never known anything else existed out there but Wilton.

Thank you all for saving me!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:37pm
post #28 of 67

Wait, one more thing. DO NOT throw out those Michaels coupons. So many more great products there for cake decorating. Clay Guns, Exacto Knives, Sencils, and on and on...

BlackBoxBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackBoxBakery Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:37pm
post #29 of 67

I find that the Wilton products are great for Wilton PROJECTS. If you go outside of a prescribed cake, then you have to use other tools. In my opinion they are a great supplier for their sort of cakes. That being said, I only use their items on occasion, I have a huge selection of tools from many makers. I am lucky enough to live near a couple of alternate cake supply stores, and I order a number of tools online.
Hope that helps!
~BBB~

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 6:38pm
post #30 of 67

I am a hobby baker and am "hooked" after taking the Wilton classes. I am sure I will get laughed at for this but I like the Wilton pans. The other stuff--not so much. Tilting turntable is horrible--returned it after a small cake almost slid off. Professional turntable, as someone stated, is not level. Small cake leveler is okay. DH bought me an Agbay for my b-day (that thing is cool). I can't really find any cake shops in my area so I have Joanne's, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby--it's all basically Wilton. When I want to do something or get a last minute idea, that's where I go and Wilton is what I buy. For the smaller items, I really have no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%