Ahoy Maties! Pesty Pirate Ship Cake!

Decorating By AlamoSweets Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 4:36am by lifonahil

AlamoSweets  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 6

I have long admired the pirate ship cakes in the gallery that are made from round layers cut in half and stood on the round sides together after slicing off a bit to make a flat surface. I had an order for one and thought I would try my hand at the same design but thought I would improve it a bit by covering it with MMF since one of the most common complaints was that it collapsed. I thought I had solved that problem and made it a day ahead to make sure it was sturdy. The next morning I noticed a small crack as well as the rolos that were suggested for the cannons had split and were falling apart? Not sure why that happened. Anyway I repaired the crack by covering it with a MMF chain and anchor. The next day the other side was also cracking so my gut said it would never make the trip across town so I had better start another using a different design. Let me tell you I am SICK of pirates at this moment! Just a little warning that this cake is wonderful as long as it is made either the same day or one day before out of a very sturdy cake (I used a chocolate almond sour cream) and it isn't being put through a delivery.
LL

5 replies
 Candes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #2 of 6

I admire your bravery. icon_biggrin.gif

TJCanadian  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 6

Lol, I sometimes think the same thing, ...this cake will be beautiful as long as someone cuts it in the next 15 seconds icon_smile.gif

Well, if all else fails, whip up a blue sea cake, put a graham cracker crumb island in the middle and just make a little chocolate Longboat that got the pirates to the island icon_biggrin.gif

Bossy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 6

LOL TJCanadian! How about a blue sea cake with a coral reef. Then the more the cake cracks the better the shipwreck will look. Sorry AlamoSweets... I know it's not funny when it's your cake that has to be ready to go out. I really like your design, I think I will try it my next boat cake order. I'll just use a super sturdy recipe and do it up night before and pray it holds up. What are your flags made of?

AlamoSweets  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 6

I can laugh about it now but at the time I was really tired and not in the mood to make ANOTHER pirate ship but I did and it was with a stacked cake carved. They loved it.

I printed the ship's flags on rice paper on my edible printer and they wrinkled enough to look like cloth. Love my edible papers and printer!

lifonahil  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 6

What a great job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%