Ahoy Maties! Pesty Pirate Ship Cake!

Decorating By AlamoSweets Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 4:36am by lifonahil

AlamoSweets Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 6

I have long admired the pirate ship cakes in the gallery that are made from round layers cut in half and stood on the round sides together after slicing off a bit to make a flat surface. I had an order for one and thought I would try my hand at the same design but thought I would improve it a bit by covering it with MMF since one of the most common complaints was that it collapsed. I thought I had solved that problem and made it a day ahead to make sure it was sturdy. The next morning I noticed a small crack as well as the rolos that were suggested for the cannons had split and were falling apart? Not sure why that happened. Anyway I repaired the crack by covering it with a MMF chain and anchor. The next day the other side was also cracking so my gut said it would never make the trip across town so I had better start another using a different design. Let me tell you I am SICK of pirates at this moment! Just a little warning that this cake is wonderful as long as it is made either the same day or one day before out of a very sturdy cake (I used a chocolate almond sour cream) and it isn't being put through a delivery.
LL

5 replies
Candes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #2 of 6

I admire your bravery. icon_biggrin.gif

TJCanadian Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 6

Lol, I sometimes think the same thing, ...this cake will be beautiful as long as someone cuts it in the next 15 seconds icon_smile.gif

Well, if all else fails, whip up a blue sea cake, put a graham cracker crumb island in the middle and just make a little chocolate Longboat that got the pirates to the island icon_biggrin.gif

Bossy Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 6

LOL TJCanadian! How about a blue sea cake with a coral reef. Then the more the cake cracks the better the shipwreck will look. Sorry AlamoSweets... I know it's not funny when it's your cake that has to be ready to go out. I really like your design, I think I will try it my next boat cake order. I'll just use a super sturdy recipe and do it up night before and pray it holds up. What are your flags made of?

AlamoSweets Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 6

I can laugh about it now but at the time I was really tired and not in the mood to make ANOTHER pirate ship but I did and it was with a stacked cake carved. They loved it.

I printed the ship's flags on rice paper on my edible printer and they wrinkled enough to look like cloth. Love my edible papers and printer!

lifonahil Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 6

What a great job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%