Violet Icing

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 11:44am by indydebi

sandy1 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 5

Why does violet icinig change shades to blue? What's the secret to stopping this process? I've heard using milk instead of water stops this. Has anyone used milk and found this to be true? What do you do when you are using fondant or gum paste?

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #2 of 5

I've hard the milk helps but haven't tried it.

The color also fades in sunlight and florescent light, so if you can keep the cake in a dark place until you need it that can help with it.

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #3 of 5

Violet or purple will fade to blue because it's made of red and blue ... and ever since they took Red Dye #2 off the market back in 1974 or 1976, we've been battling this issue. The replacement red dyes were not NEAR as good as 'ole #2 so bright light, sunlight, florescent light, etc., causes the red to fade .... when red leaves purple, all you have left is the blue.

#2 was removed from the market because SOME research indicated it MIGHT MAYBE, if taken in super large doses, COULD kinda-sorta cause some kind of cancer .... but they're not really sure. icon_confused.gif

sandy1 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:50am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your response to my questions. I'm wondering if you know if there is a way to prevent this if it isn't caused by lighting??? Do you know whether the use of milk works?

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:44am
post #5 of 5

THe last time I had a fading problem was when my sister got married ..... over 20 years ago. I dont' know what I do that keeps my purples purple and my reds red.... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%