i have just come across the TD phenomonom in the past week and LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea! what are the rules on CC etc and how do i get involved? if anyone is interested let me know!
Hi - I'd love to do a throwdown with you. Its a little crazed this month so maybe we can do one for December (?). We both pick a theme and I'll ask someone to post for us. PM me if you'd like to do one. Following are the rules:
Throwdown (TD) guidelines â revised 6/18/08
These rules supercede any prior posted Throw Down rules or guidelines.
1. Any member may challenge another CC member to a TD. The TD will all begin and end on the specified dates so all pictures of completed cakes can be uploaded for judging at the same time. This will make it easy for all CC members to judge each TD photo, and, all winners can be announced at the same time.
2. Throw Downs will begin on the first day of every month. Photos are due to your designated poster the third Saturday of the month. which gives one week for voting unless it is a five week month then it will be the fourth Saturday of the month. You will have until 3:00 PM CST on that date to get your pictures sent to the designated picture poster of your particular TD. (Exception: unless other arrangements have been made by your designated poster.)
3. You may submit up to three photos for judging and photos must be consistent between both contestants. Perhaps, front shot, top angle shot and a close-up. Photos must be pre-sized for message boards at 640 X 480.
4. A description should be included with your photos.
5. Fondant, Gumpaste, Sugarpaste and/or Buttercream can be used, you pick your mediums to decorate your cake. TD challengers may use any decorating medium combinations they wish as long as it is edible, (no fresh flowers, cold porcelain, plastic or toys of any kind).
6. Loser is the poster of the new throwdowns. This means the loser of a TD will upload pictures for the subsequent judging.
7. Straight sheet cakes are not allowed with the exception to be used for sculpting cake designs and must be sculpted.
8. Throwdowners should be as equal in decorating skills as possible. If you are a TD winner please try to be fair and choose a member with "equal to or greater than" decorating skills you possess.
9. With the exception of sculpted cakes, dummies are allowed. 3-D sculptures may only use Styrofoam where absolutely necessary.
10. Competitors may use wires, straws, and dowels for supports. These supports should be hidden in the cake and not visible by viewing the cake.
11. Wires used for sprays, flowers, leaves, etcetera, but must not be inserted directly into the cake/dummy.
12. The two TD Challengers will choose the theme of cake to be designed.
13. Any non-winning CC member may only participate in a throwdown one time in a 12 month period. Only the current winner of a throwdown will continue on. Once this winner loses he/she must wait 12 months before participating in another TD.
14. Everything on the cake, including the cake, has to be crafted and decorated entirely by the CC member without help from anyone else (i.e. no store bought pearls only hand crafted.) Exceptions; throwdowners may have help with the cutting of cake boards or structural support.
15. Only two members may compete in any particular throwdown, however, many Throw Downs may happen at one time. A TD isn't a TD if there are more than two competing against each other.
16. Largest cake board used may not exceed 14".
17. Cakes can be one tier but no more than three tiers and they may be separated or stacked. The size should be determined by the TD competitors prior to the start of the challenge so each cake is judged/voted against a similar sized cake.
18. Participants are not allowed on the actual voting thread during the vote. Exception: participant may concede. The board will open up to throwdowners after the winner has been determined.
19. The designated poster has the right to point out infractions of the above rules on the original voting post.