Overwhelmed ...need Advice (Long)

Lounge By catin Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 11:14pm by Deb_

catin Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 4

Ok , Well for a year and a half now , I've been looking for a out of the house job . I did everything to do with looking and putting out resumes and even a few interviews . Nothing came of it . Now this year , I had the great fortune of finding a great Lady needeing help with her Cake business and she offered me a position . Today I happen to come in the door to my answering machine picking up a message from the Post Office . They are offering me a position . WTH!! One year of hard coar searching interviews and nothing to have two offers in not even a month .

I am overwhelmed . The Cake opportunity is wonderful cause eventually in my future I would like to open my own business , but the Post office offer is a chance for me to get out and experience the job world ( keep in mind I never had a "real" job in my life. ). What to do ? Disappoint the sweetheart of a Lady and go for the Post office position or Drop the offer with the Post office and stay with the Cakes. What to do ...I need advice ...

Sorry for the long post . I just need to get it off my chest and hopefully this will give me a different view on things and like that I can make this hard decision.

Julie icon_cry.gif

3 replies
TC123 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 4

First of all, congratulations on getting TWO job offers!!! That's fantastic! But boy, what a decision you have to make. The two jobs couldn't be more different, ya know?

Anyway, if you're really undecided, maybe you should try to write down the pros and cons of taking/not taking each job. Some factors to ponder might be money, hours/shifts, benefits, pension/401k, the environment you will be working in (i.e., around a lot of people vs. more time by yourself), job security/stability... These are just a few I'm rattling off the top of my head. Maybe it's just me, but I think it might help make things more clear in your mind when you can see it on paper.

However, don't forget to consider your happiness in the mix! Be sure to think of what will make you happy and fulfilled. This might very well be the most important thing to consider!

Good luck! And I wish you the best! icon_smile.gif

Pookie59 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 4

I would carefully consider the two opportunities in light of their long term possibilities and job satisfaction.

Personally I'm kind of stuck. I have a boring, boring, unsatisfying job that pays well and has great benefits. No, I don't want to decorate cakes for a living, but this job sure doesn't do it for me. I'm kind of stuck because as much as I'd like to do something else, I am not in a fiinancial position to sacrifice my salary for a job that would be more enjoyable (at least not yet!)

Deb_ Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 4

Hi and congratulations on your 2 offers that's awesome.

I know here in the States, a job with the Post Office is not easy to come by and comes with really good benefits. I'm not sure if that is the case in Canada.

Is it possible to take the Postal job and somehow still work for the Cake lady? Maybe she would be willing to work around the other position. If it were me I would weigh the pros against the cons as tcarra suggested. I'm sure the Postal job comes with benefits, so that may or may not be a pro for you depending on if you have a spouse that already receives medical, etc. During these tough financial times I guess I would go with the higher paying job, even if it weren't my first choice.

I have also had to choose between baking for a living and my full time hairdressing career. I have a solid customer base at my Salon and know that I can count on a certain income and that has kept me from pursuing a career in baking. It's certainly a risk and one I haven't felt comfortable taking.

I wish you the best of luck with whichever career path you choose. If you do decide on the Postal career, it doesn't mean that you still can't have a hand in baking as a part time career, that's the great thing about it......you can pretty much control the number of orders you want to take. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%