Realistic Fall Leaves??

Decorating By tmt Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 1:13am by bobwonderbuns

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 5

Can you please tell me how to make realistic FALL fondant/gumpaste leaves? i don't want to do just one solid color but what color do I start with? Do I paint the fondant or use gel colors and kneed it in? So many questions! I know one of you talented folks can help me icon_smile.gif Thanks so much

4 replies
ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

I made my own template with real leaves and cardstock. I then used fondant with a decent amount of tylose, rolled out to my desired thickness(about 1/8") then I traced it out using a smaller fondant cutter. I layed my leaves on scrunched wax paper for shaping, let them dry about 10-15 min to sort of set them, I then airbrushed using yellow first, followed by green and then finally a brownish/red mixture.The reason I placed the leaves over wax paper on a tray was to prevent having to move them after I painted them. I let them dry overnight. If you don't have an airbrush you could use the same color system , using vodka and luster dust and hand paint, the vodka dries off fast. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 5

I just did a fall leaf wedding cake. I used gumpaste. I started with some light brown & some golden yellow. I just rolled it out and laid my veiners on top of it, cut around them & pressed it down to imprint the "veins". Then I dried them on crumpled foil. After they were dry (the next day) I used dry luster dusts to color them. I just used some brushes and dusted on some chocolate brown, red, spiced pumpkin & cactus luster dusts on them. They turned out very realistic.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:01am
post #4 of 5

Some great tips on this thread!

I've only made leaves once and need to make them again for an upcoming cake, but I made the leaves and just painted them with oranges, browns, greens and yellows with vodka. I then put piping gel on them to make them shiny.

For this next cake I need much thinner leaves and I'm going to dust them with gold shimmer dust.

Good luck with your cake!

angie

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%