Need Fondant Help!

Decorating By revel Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 11:27pm by weirkd

revel Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 7

Please help! I'm trying to cover my cake with fondant..but..everytime i try to pick it up(after rolling it out) it falls apart! Is there something i can add to make it more elastic?
I've made LaWandas white chcolate fondant. Would i have better luck with MMF?

6 replies
ski Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 7

You can try to add just a small amount of shortening to the fondant for some stretch. Also try using your rolling pin, or a piece of PVC pipe , lay it in the middle of your fondant piece, fold the top over the pipe grasp the fondant on each side,so it doesn't slide off, then lift and line it up to one edge of your cake and lay as usual. Hope that helps some!

CocoaBlondie Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 7

I would use some shortening as well. I would also roll it back up & microwave it for 10-15 seconds then roll it out & try it again. This seems to aways help me.

MacsMom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 7

If you don't have glycerine, you can substitute corn syrup to give it great plaibility. Knead in about 1 tablespoon.

revel Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 7

ok..i tried all the above and it's still falling apart! Grr....i'm going to try MMF and see waht happens!

ski Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 7

You know I don't know what your time line is , but I recently used candy clay (white choc disk and Karo syrup) It was really just fantastic! It was so much more forgiving than regular fondant. You might consider it?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1985-candy-clay-for-modeling-3d.html

weirkd Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 7

Ive never tried Lawandas recipe but you should definetly try Michele's recipe that is on here. It never fails for me! You do have to have glycerine though and if its humid I would add a teaspoon of gum trag to it also. But it wont fall apart like you said! And Ive made it loads of times and never had a problem with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%