What Size Cake Stand To Buy??

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm by cylstrial

cylstrial Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there..

I'm getting ready to buy a round, silver cake stand. I was wondering what size you all would recommend. I'm not sure how many inches of silver space on the cake stand is appropriate. For example, if I put an 8 inch cake on a 12 inch cake stand.. would that look dumb? At the same time, I'm also wondering what would be too small.

I normally make cakes up to a 12 inch. What size would you recommend based on your own personal preference?

Thank you so much!!

5 replies
cylstrial Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 6

I guess I should have said, "What size cake plateau should I buy?"

Any takers??

lauritasolorzano Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:39am
post #3 of 6

Considering that you make cakes up to 12 inches. I would recommend you to purchase a 14 inches plateau. This will work for the 10 and 12 inches cakes. I'm not so sure if it would work for 8" cake because the plateau will overpower the cake.

Laura

cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you !! I really appreciate the advice! That's exactly what I needed to know!!

indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 6

Agree on the 14". If you do smaller cakes, you can put the smaller cake on a larger cardboard, then set that on the 14" plateau. This gives you a stair-step type of design and softens the width difference. Here's a not-great example, but it gives you an idea: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1280057

I got this idea from other CC cakes! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Indydebit! That is a GREAT idea!! I never would have thought of that. So I think it's official..I'm getting the 14inch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%