Urgent Help

Decorating By nicole2214 Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 1:29am by nicole2214

nicole2214 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I need some help. I have a wedding cake to do for a client that is supposed to feed 100 people. She wants the scrolls on the cakes and I have never done those before. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on how to get that real smooth look for buttercream icing?

6 replies
dogwood Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 7

As for the scrolls the only help I can offer is that Wilton has a set of scroll presses you can buy to imprint the design on the cake and then follow with your buttercream or royal icing.
As for the smooth icing there are instructions on this site for Melvira's method. I've never tried it but a lot of people on this site have tried it and love. All I know about it is that you use a high density roller to smooth out the icing. Someone else here can probably offer more help.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 7

Scrolls as in piped work on the sides or srolls as in rolled up paper?

luvbakin Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 7

For super smooth buttercream you should also follow sugarshacks suggestion for how to make it. If you start out with perfect pc, no air holes, then it smoothes even easier.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 7

Hi! Welcome to CC.
The best advice I have to give you for smooth frosting is toedna's video. It explains SO much and to have a visual makes perfect sense! If you do not have acces to the scroll presses dogwood mentioned try using a regular stencil and a paint brush. I cut out the area of stencil I need in say an oval shape then hold it gently against my cake (BC usually) and use the paint brush to make an imprint in the frosting which I trace over with BC. If you are going to be doing the scrolls on fondant then use either a reallllly light constrasting color (IE LIGHT grey) and a paint brush or a food color marker, trace it like that then go over with whatever you are going to use. Yes, it is a pain to do it like that but for me it works out well.

toedna's Viedo

tirby Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

For super smooth buttercream you should also follow sugarshacks suggestion for how to make it. If you start out with perfect pc, no air holes, then it smoothes even easier.

I agree with this....My cakes have taken on a whole new look ..Thanks Sugarshack icon_wink.gif

nicole2214 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:29am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much! OMG that is a huge help. I am not brand new at this but I have never done the scrolls. I will try the stencil and see how that works. Thanks for being so nice and responding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%