Have You Ever Had One Of Those Days...............

Baking By nickshalfpint Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 5:11pm by indydebi

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 10

when everything goes wrong? First when I put the egg in, my DD helped by adding the egg shell icon_cry.gif So we had to make a whole new batch. Then I notice I don't have any more salted butter icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif So I use unsalted and add salt. When I go to add the almond extract I drop the WHOLE bottle on the floor, it was the big bottle too icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Luckily I had some of the wilton almond extract, so I used that. When I was done my dough was soooo sticky. It has never done that to me before. I 'm using Penny's recipe and I've made it 4 other times with no problems. So I have it in the fridge hoping that will help. I think I'm better off staying out of the kitchen today................... icon_cry.gif

edited to add....DH HATES the smell of almond extract, so he will be sooooo happy when he gets home icon_lol.gif I've mopped and it still smells like almond extract, that stuff is strong icon_eek.gif

9 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 10

Nicks, I've had those days, in and out of the kitchen, more often than I'd like to admit. The best was when my exchange student wanted to 'help out' in the kitchen by cleaning up, I walk in to see RED absolutely everywhere, she couldn't figure out what happened....she had spilled a large jar of liquid red food color and was just spreading it all over the kitchen. She actually thought she had cut herself somewhere and couldn't find it, but my being the germafreak I am, she didn't want to admit she's sprayed the kitchen with blood.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 10

I'm so sorry you're having one of those days. Just keep going; you'll get through it!

Penny's recipe is meant to have a little extra flour kneaded in. At a demo, she sprinkled flour onto the table and kneaded it (and added flour) until it "felt right." She said it is very forgiving. (I have yet to try it -- but it's on the top of my list!) We did get a chance to roll it out, knead it and generally play with it. Her recipe is a lot like her -- very easy going and wonderfully sweet!

Good luck to you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 10

I've been there girlfriend!! I feel for ya! It's always when my back hurts that I constantly drop stuff and have to bend over to pick it up, then I'll drop it three times trying to pick it up!!! What's with that!??!

Here's a hug coming your way!! And when hubby gets home, make sure you're wearing something really low cut and he won't even notice the smell of almond! Hahahahaha!!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 10

WOW! I have those days a lot, luckily most of my extracts are in plastic bottles or my house would smell of all kinds of things. I am working on a Dallas football field and helmet cake for tomorrow with a migraine. I wish us both luck.

Enjoy your evening! Or at least try. icon_smile.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:07am
post #6 of 10

I am so glad that I am not alone in this! icon_twisted.gif

I have days like that all of the time it seems. I mean the saying "when it rains, it pours" doesn't accurately fit some of my worst days. icon_cry.gif

However, I have learned, to look for the lighter side of those days. It is hard, but makes it all so much easier to process! icon_wink.gif

Eisskween - I so feel you on the migraines! I never fails that when I have something pressing, I can't function due to a migraine. My nuerologists stated that I am one of the 25 MILLION women with chronic headaches. Thanks doc, I already knew that prior to spending MAJOR $$$! icon_confused.gif Now, I have a medicine cabinet full of drugs to take on a preventative basis, and STILL have at least 6 terrible migraines per month. (That doesn't include the ones that are easily treated with the NEW Treximet!) By the way, that is a great drug for a migraine and it doesn't leave me so wiped I can't function. Sorry for the rant, but I do understand! I am sending the migraine fairies to drizzle their dust and take that headache away! icon_lol.gif Too bad, it never works for me, but I thought that I would give it a shot.

I hope that everyone's day ends successfully and PAIN free!

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #7 of 10

I am so glad that I am not alone in this! icon_twisted.gif

I have days like that all of the time it seems. I mean the saying "when it rains, it pours" doesn't accurately fit some of my worst days. icon_cry.gif

However, I have learned, to look for the lighter side of those days. It is hard, but makes it all so much easier to process! icon_wink.gif

Eisskween - I so feel you on the migraines! I never fails that when I have something pressing, I can't function due to a migraine. My nuerologists stated that I am one of the 25 MILLION women with chronic headaches. Thanks doc, I already knew that prior to spending MAJOR $$$! icon_confused.gif Now, I have a medicine cabinet full of drugs to take on a preventative basis, and STILL have at least 6 terrible migraines per month. (That doesn't include the ones that are easily treated with the NEW Treximet!) By the way, that is a great drug for a migraine and it doesn't leave me so wiped I can't function. Sorry for the rant, but I do understand! I am sending the migraine fairies to drizzle their dust and take that headache away! icon_lol.gif Too bad, it never works for me, but I thought that I would give it a shot.

I hope that everyone's day ends successfully and PAIN free!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:11am
post #8 of 10

Mel I took your advice icon_lol.gif When he came home the first thing out of his mouth was "What's that smell", then he walked up stairs and said"I hope you didn't go out of the house like that". I told him it was for him, and then he asked me what I wanted icon_lol.gif I gave up on the cookies and just made a cake. I wouldn't have had time to finish the cookies, they were for tomorrow night. They are having another party in november, I will try again then icon_lol.gif

Thanks everyone for sharing in my bad day....It makes me feel better ((((HUGS))))

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

I told him it was for him, and then he asked me what I wanted icon_lol.gif

GAH! What's wrong with him??? Ok, please print out the following and give it to him to keep in his wallet.

Appropriate response when you come home and wife is dressed slutty: "I am the luckiest man on the planet... please let me bow down and worship you!"

Sheesh... icon_rolleyes.gif he'd be in a lot less trouble from day to day if he figured out these things! (No, not all men have this problem... I will not generalize like that!) (And yes, we women should do the same for the men in our lives... we all need to appreciate each other!) thumbs_up.gif

I can tell you... if my hubs comes home and I'm wearing something low cut, the last thing he wants to know is what I want. Usually his first question is, "So, when did the UPS guy leave?" Hehehehe. Inside joke!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 10

I think my worse day like that was when I dropped the hot red velvet cake on the floor at 10:30 at night. Had to run to walmart for replacement mixes AND had a pink floor for 2-3 days!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%