A Prayer And A Praise In Time For Veterans Day

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 12:20pm by mommicakes

SugarBakerz Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 3

I just wanted to share this with you all. This is from a friend of mine who I grew up with. His story is so amazing, he was definitley spared for a reason. I am proud to know this man! The Lord truly works in mysterious ways! The following is his email to his friends. Thanks for reading, and if you believe in the power of prayer, please lift my friend up!

Hello all,

Lucky Joe strikes again. Just thought I'd update you all before the info managed to float its way to you through rumor and let you know about my status.

As some of you may know I have just been in Afghanistan serving with the British Army in the Helmand Province and recently returned to my home in the UK on the 1st of October. Upon returning home I took an assignment to conduct an operation with the German Special Forces Kommando's and during a night time combat equipped parachute jump on 8 October I had a complete parachute malfunction during my decent and plummeted 30 meters (85 feet). Luckily, the ground broke my fall but not without make me seriously injured.

I was medevac'd to a German Trauma Hospital where I underwent 12 hours over 4 surgeries to rebuild my broken body. They did a great job with the work they did and further prevented other spinal injuries. I was then medevac'd to Landstuhl, Germany for further treatment at that medical facility before being moved to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

In the end I ended up shattering my right foot that was put back together with an external fixation of rods and pins. My hips and sacrum were completely fractured and was also fixed with screws that have gone into my left and right hips to secure the broken sacrum bone. Unfortunately, there has been significant nerve damage in this area and we are hoping but don't know how long it will take to fully recover. Most of this nerve damage has affected feeling around my waist and the back of my legs. I also fractured my back where bone fragments were pushed into my spinal canal luckily not causing any permanent spinal damage. This fracture was fixed again with more internal rods and screws. So in the end, I'll be setting off metal detectors for the rest of my life and travelling by air will prove to be difficult trying to get through security.

The good news is that I am expected to recover albeit a very long, tough process. I can move my feet and have muscular control of my body so this nerve damage seems to be the Dr's only unknown right now. I am still confined to my bed and can begin to learn to walk again in about 8 weeks where I am sure I will far exceed expectations for me in rehab. I'm in a good place for all of this to be done. This is by far the most difficult thing I have ever had to do but I'm confident and positive that I can get over this and of course, my only question to the Docs was "can I ever jump again?"

I appreciate all of your notes and concerns and prayers and hope that I can push through this small set back in my life. I've had many soldiers that I served with and commanded who have come through this hospital and done extremely well. I never thought I'd be laid up in bed here ever but it could be a great opportunity for me to continue my influence the young soldiers here around me in worst shape than I am.

Still in the fight,

2 replies
grannys3angels Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:55am
post #2 of 3

My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to your friend and all the soldiers . Yes I believe in the power of prayer, it is something I feel very strong about.

There sure was a reason for this young man to be here, after what happen to him. God has a plan for him for sure. Thank you for sharing such an amazing story, and I am so sorry for what your friend went through.

God Bless & be with him and all the soldiers,

mommicakes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for sharing this letter. Seems he has a lot ahead of him. My prayers are with him, and all of the other soldiers serving today, yesterday, and tomorrow. God Bless them all!

Donna usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%