Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 12:38pm by FlourPots

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 23

Does anyone have any recipes and suggested uses for modeling chocolate? I was wondering if there were instances where it would be better to use than gum paste or fondant for decorations.

22 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 23

The basic recipe I use is 1/3 cup corn syrup to 14 ounces (one bag) candy melts.

You can use it to cover cakes and make decorations.

This is a cake I covered with candy clay:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1149927

The only problem I really have with candy clay is hiding it from my husband, he says it tastes like tootsie rolls. icon_lol.gif

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 23

I made this exact recipie and i had a problem with the clay cracking and being a little bit crumbly also... Should i add more syrup to it? Do u warm yours up by the heat of your hands or some other way? and it hardens up pretty quick, how the heck did u get it to cover the cake?? oh and this stuff tastes super gooood!!!

mbelgard Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 23

I knead it before use to soften it.

I would think that adding more syrup would make the clay softer but I have never had a problem with it so I haven't tried it.

It doesn't harden up any quicker than fondant so I've never had an issue.

SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 23

Well i wonder what the heck im doing wrong!!!!!!!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 23

It is kind of finicky to work with. When you are making it does it get all watery?? You have to make sure it all gets mixed back in. What I did today that worked well was to just let it sit for a while. It will start to firm up and just keep stirring it occaisionally until the watery stuff is mixed in....I even picked it up and kneaded it a little. The mixture seems a lot smoother than my last batch!

SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 23

Never had the watery problem, i let it sit for a day before i used it and it went hard as a rock!!! I was worried right away that i screwed up.. i got my hubby to warm it up in his hand (covered well in seran) it took about 10 min then i was able to start working with it but only a little at a time (my hands are always freezing) so maybe thats one reason why i have a hard time with it? But when i mix it at the begining it turns very crumbly once the syrup hits the melted chocolate... so maybe i have to warm up the syrup also before i mix the 2 together?

SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 23

boy do i love this stuff too.. i really wanna find a way to do it correctly so i can always use it!

mbelgard Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 23

If it's getting crumbly right away how hot is your candy? Candy is really touchy about heat, if it's starting to scorch it might turn crumbly. I don't know for sure because I've never burnt candy I've been melting for clay.

It should start to seperate when you add the corn syrup and be really soft until it cools.

Another thought would be the size of your bags of candy. I believe tha the brand they sell at Hobby Lobby is a bigger bag than standard Wilton so you would have to weigh out the 14 ounces instead of melting the whole bag.

SweetStuff30 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:14pm
post #10 of 23

well theres my problem!!! i melted the candy choclate stuff in the microwave and obiously made it way too hot. That totally explaines it. I didnt realize that it was so senative, i thought it was just some chocolate that was easier to melt then the rest. How do you melt yours and what is a good temp to bring it to? I dont have anything to check the temp with so i guess illhave to buy something for that too and stop using the microwave! Do u have any suggestions? Thaks soooo much for the help!!!

mbelgard Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #11 of 23

You don't need to actually check temperature but you do need to melt it slowly. In the microwave I melt it on half power 30-45 seconds at a time and stir in between. Candy can be melted and still hold it's shape so stirring is important to make sure you don't overheat it.

Candy melts are easier to deal with not because they don't burn at roughly the same temperature as real chocolate but because they don't require tempering.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 23

I use Michele Foster's recipe for Chocolate Leather here on CC. Once I found that recipe I never did the corn syrup one again. I've covered whole cakes in it, even a competition cake for the OSSAS (first place in its category). Maybe you can give it a try next time?

Deanna

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #13 of 23

If your chocolate gets to hot, or if any water gets in it it will seize up like concrete! This also goes for adding color of flavors, they must be oil based or glycerin (no water). I find it very difficult to melt chocolate properly in the microwave. Should be done in short 15 to 30 second times at 50% power. I prefer an electic skillet with a little water. Just set the chocolate in glass cups to melt at about 200 degrees (more or less depends on your skillet). Just don not drip any water in teh cups!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

I use Michele Foster's recipe for Chocolate Leather here on CC. Once I found that recipe I never did the corn syrup one again. I've covered whole cakes in it, even a competition cake for the OSSAS (first place in its category). Maybe you can give it a try next time?

Deanna

. . . I have looked at that recipe before . . . but what does she mean by "almond bark" . . . to me that is chocolate with almonds in it . . . so I'm alittle confused . . . okay okay . . . more than alittle confused . . .

mbelgard Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydreams

Quote:

Deanna

. . . I have looked at that recipe before . . . but what does she mean by "almond bark" . . . to me that is chocolate with almonds in it . . . so I'm alittle confused . . . okay okay . . . more than alittle confused . . .

Almond bark is found in the baking aisle of grocery stores, it's really the same thing as candy melts but comes in large blocks.

TooMuchCake Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:31pm
post #16 of 23

Mbelgard is right about the almond bark. Sometimes I use that, sometimes I use candy melts, just whatever I have on hand that I need to use up. I think the candy melts work a tiny little bit better. I figured out that it's a good idea to use national-brand marshmallow creme. I tried the Walmart store brand marshmallow creme and didn't like it because it was pretty soft right out of the jar. HTH.

Deanna

mamacc Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:44pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:

Deanna

I've never heard of that recipe! That seems so weird to mix marshmallow fluff into chocolate!! It says a small jar...how much is that??

I found these really white melts at my bakery supply place...called vanilla a'peels. They are definitely better than almond bark.

mamacc Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:17am
post #18 of 23

Well...hopefully it's the 7 oz jar because I bought one and I'm trying it right nowicon_smile.gif I'm making both recipes side by side to compare. I needed a double batch anyway so I figured I'd try it...

TooMuchCake Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #19 of 23

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you!!

In her cookbook, she says one cup each of confectioner's coating and marshmallow creme. I weigh out 8 ounces of coating and measure the cup of mm creme.

Deanna

mamacc Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #20 of 23

That's okay!!...I know how easy it to lose track of threads! I should be good then on the amount. It didn't seem like too much oil came out when I was kneading it. I also tried kneading out the oil on the corn syrup batch and a lot more liquid came out. We'll see tommorrow...hopefully I didn't screw it up! I can see how the stretchy marshmallows would help give the chocolate more stretch.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:46am
post #21 of 23

Is confectioner's coating the almond bark??

TooMuchCake Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:02pm
post #22 of 23

Yep. If you have a bag of candy melts, you can use those. You can even use real chocolate if you want to.

Deanna

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:38pm
post #23 of 23

Cool...thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%