Help For The Newbie

Decorating By chanelsmimi Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 6:25pm by cupcakemkr

chanelsmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanelsmimi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 3

I really want to make a hannah montana cake for my grand daughter...I have NEVER worked with fondant or anything else besides your basic cake mix & frosting...Total newbie, I know... My goal is to use a few different ideas that i have seen in photos on here. I need to find a star cake pan(shouldn't be too hard) My biggest hurdle is getting some tips on where to find the best fondant...how to do it...like cutting out zebra stripes & making bows. I also need to know what those metal looking sticks are called that hold up the stars and where to get them. If anyone has made a cake like this & is willing to show a newbie the ropes..Me & my grand daughter would sooo apreciate it. icon_confused.gif [/b][/quote]

2 replies
chanelsmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanelsmimi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 3

I was also wondering how you het that sparkly glittery affect on the fondant? is it something you brush on?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 3

Hi! Welcome!

Here is a good thread that discusses making loopy bows:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607553.html

zebra stripes can be cut randomly with an exacto type knife and applied to fondant covered cake with a tiny bit of water brushed onto stripe

You can purchase premade fondant online at GlobalSugarArt.com as well as luster dusts that you can use to make the fondant shimer by either painting it on (dilute dust with clear vanilla extract or an alcohol like vodka) or dust it on dry with a clean/new blusher type brush.

The metal looking sticks are floral wire - you can get it at crat stores or Wal Mart - there are different weights of wore - select the stiffness that you'll need to support your decoration.

GOOD LUCK with you cake - Have Fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%