How Do I Get A Full Size Pumpkin Without The 3D Pan?

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 3:27pm by -K8memphis

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 10

Is there a way to do this? Any recommendations? Thanksicon_smile.gif

9 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 10

. . . do you have a bundt pan . . .

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 10

A glass pyrex bowl!

mkcraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcraig Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 10

Use a bundt pan and stack 2, the bottom one upside down and the top one right side up. Makes a very cute pumpkin.

disneynutbsv Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 10

I have the tubular pan for angel food cakes, but no bundt panicon_sad.gif And nope, no pyrex glass bowl. I think my mother in law has one, how big should it be??

kbw5780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbw5780 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 10

I use the large glass pyrex bowl for a pumkin cake. You can get a set of 3 for really cheap at the grocery store or Wal-Mart. I also use the other size for other cakes. You have to cook them on a lower temp, like around 310 degrees for the large bowl and I believe I cooked if for about 55 minutes or an hour. That is how I do it and it works out perfect. Just cook 2 and put the flat sides together.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 10

. . . the only other suggestion I have if you can't pull together one of the previous ideas is a CCcake . . . not 3D . . . but perhaps a reasonable facsimile . . . http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1085933 . . . maybe someone you know has a bundt pan (that would be easiest) . . .

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 10

Or you could just bake off and stack a few round cakes in this order (for stacking)

7 inch
8 inch
9 inch
9 inch
9 inch
8 inch

^^^That's for a traditional tall carving pumpkin.

You could leave out one of the 9's--then just carve it a bit--clip off the edges to get it to shape up--that gives you a 10 - 12 inch tall pumpkin--this is a 3-tier cake so put in your supports.

Or just bake off whatever size you want and stack it up. You don't need a bowl or anything. I mean pumpkins come in allll shapes --if it's orange, has ribs and a stem it's a pumpkin!

Don't put much detail in the cake carving. Put in the ribs of the pumpkin with the icing is how I do it. For example after crumb coating--pipe stripes of icing up an down as the fullest part of the rib first then cover with the orange icing to form the scallops, the ribs of the pumpkin.

Pumpkin thoughts for you.

disneynutbsv Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Or you could just bake off and stack a few round cakes in this order (for stacking)

7 inch
8 inch
9 inch
9 inch
9 inch
8 inch

^^^That's for a traditional tall carving pumpkin.

Pumpkin thoughts for you.

No I think I'd leave off the 8 inch on the bottom--if you just clip off a tad of cake around the bottom and snuck in the icing that would be better. Pumpkins are kinda boxy on the bottom really--not so much tapered.

Dig a divet out of the middle of the 7 inch where the stem comes out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%