New To Forum...question About Ladybug Cake

Decorating By ksterl Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

ksterl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksterl Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a ladybug cake for my daughters birthday. This will be a huge undertaking for me because I have little to no experience with cakes. I read somewhere that you can use a glass bowl (pyrex or something oven safe) to create the dome of the ladybug. I can't find it now. Is this ok to do and is there anything special I need to do to it?

I am making a trial run of the cake this morning and have a week to get it right before the party!

I see that many have used the 1/2 ball wilton cake pan but I may not have an opportunity to get one. Has anyone tried the glass bowl and did it work out?

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 3

I've used glass bowls plenty! Do you have a flower nail?? The reason I ask is because I've found that the cake bakes better with a flower nail. Sometimes it takes forever depending on how deep your bowl is. What I would suggest is to only fill your bowl like half way giving yourself the dome part you need and then bake a round cake, the same diameter. but if you want to just bake the whole thing in the bowl it can be done! After it's been baking about 10 minutes spray a flower nail with non stick spray and stick the point of it down into the center of the cake allowing the top part (that you would normally pipe flowers on) justrest on the surface of the cake. This will help conduct heat to the center of your cake.........also turn the oven down to 325 and if the top starts to brown too much before the cake is "done" put a loose piece of foil over the top to keep it from browning anymore. HTH

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 3

KHalstead, i didn't know about the foil. thanks for that tip!

and good luck ksterl! share a pic when you're done. welcome to CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%