Airbrushing Lighter Colors

Decorating By mamacc Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 2:00am by kakeladi

mamacc Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 6

i recently got an airbrush...(finally!!) But I was wondering how you get the lighter colors. Like if you wanted to airbrush the cake a light shade of yellow....would you mix in some white? I've been scared to airbrush white b/c of everyone saying how much it clogs the airbrush.

Thanks!

5 replies
KHalstead Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 6

it's hard to do......I haven't noticed the white clogging the airbrush, but it doesn't mix that great with the other colors.....it'll mix in initially but you really have to shake or stir it up really good every time you fill your little cup on your airbrush. You can achieve lighter colors just simply by spraying a very light coat but this takes practice! I've done a couple cakes where I made them a little lighter by doing that. This cake is actually sprayed lightly about 2 or 3 times.....for a soft pink, I could have gone lighter....but like I said it takes a VERY steady hand and practice. Just practice on some paper towels first!
LL

leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 6

Are you guys using the white color that's made for airbrushes? I bought a bottle of it, but haven't had occasiion to use it yet.

BCJean Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

I use the white to make colors pastel some but it doesn't always work really well. Yes, you have to shake the bottle each time you add it to your color....and I find that it still separates some in the little cup and the white tends to come out first...by the time you get to the last part, the color gets darker....and you do have to clean the airbrush really well right away. I mostly use the white if I need to spray color over chocolate icing. When a customer wants a cake iced in chocolate buttercream and also wants a scene airbrushed on it...the white added to the color will let you do that.

mamacc Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, I do have white airbrush color. Thanks for the tips...that helps. What about flesh color?? Last week I wanted to airbrush my zombie a pasty flesh color but it pretty much ended up brown, LOL. I have to do another zombie tonight but I might just paint it since I have flesh color gels...

kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:00am
post #6 of 6

Forget the white airbrush color!!!!!!! UUUuuggggg icon_sad.gif
Instead thin w/Everclear(?) OR vodka OR any clear alcohol. Also use very light strokes and don't go over it - just one lihgt spray.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%