I Need A Perfect Icing Recipe

Baking By landylou Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 4:20am by peacenique

landylou Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 9

I'm kinda looking for a recipe similar to one a local baker uses. They said it was Butter Cream but I can't have their recipe.
It's fluffy, and perfect amount of sweetness. It actually reminds me of a cross between a whipped icing, and butter cream. I can't even describe how fluffy it is with a light crusting over it.
My Butter Cream is way too sweet, and heavy. Anyone got any ideas?

8 replies
KrissieCakes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 9

The Buttercream Dream recipe is awesome. It's in the recipe section here. My family doesn't really like extremely sweet icings and they love this one. It's light and it slightly crusts. I love it!!!

mcdonald Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with the Buttercream dream... It is nice, light but just enough sweetness.

indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 9

I've had folks tell me mine tastes like a whipped icing and isn't so sweet. I can't see it myself, (it's made of sugar, people!) but you're welcome to give it a shot.

giraffe11 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 9

I am on this same search.....just used whipped cream frosting for years, but its not too stable.
I tried the Whimsical Bakehouse house buttercream and like the taste OK, but it was too hard to smooth. Next I tried Buttercream Dream from this site and found it way too sweet for my tastes. I tried mixing the two even, but that was no good.
I'm trying Indydebi's next........this weekend, for a Halloween cake. I have high hopes! icon_biggrin.gif

TyTy78 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 9

I use Indydebi's and I really love it. It crust great and everyone loves so far (I've made it 4 or 5 times)

misabel99 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 9

Did you try Pastry Pride? it's like whipped cream it taste so good I buy it liquid and I just whipped you can try Bettercream too I just try the chocolate flavor and It was so good too. If you look my pictures all my cakes are frosted with Pastry Pride HTH.

Mencked Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 9

I've made indydebi's and also sharon (sugarshack's) both are great. Sugarshack's is a little stiffer than indydebi's but both taste great and are good to work with. I've recently switched to hi-ratio shortening and use sugarshack's methods for smoothing and I can not tell you how much easier it has gotten to finish a cake with that fondant-like smoothness and very little frustration in the process! Once again, both taste great!!! Indy's recipe is on here and I know that sugarshack has a video on youtube that shows you exactly how to make her recipe and there are several threads about both as well--JanH are you there?!!?!

peacenique Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:20am
post #9 of 9

I've become a newly converted SMBC user.

I'm thrilled with both the texture and sweetness level.
I do not care for sweet sweet things either.

I'm about to try jkalman's SMBC recipe this week.

It's not Bettercreme, but it's better than anything I have tried to date. I won't look any further.

If I'm not mistaken, you don't make Bettercreme, you buy it. (anyone know that for sure?)

Quote by @%username% on %date%