How Much Would You Charge?

Business By erikamj Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 4:44am by 2508s42

erikamj Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:23am
post #1 of 11

How much would you charge for a simple 10" round (torted)
with BC, 3 lg gumpaste dolphins and other gumpaste or fondant water animals on the sides.

I am thinking about $70 but I am not sure if that is too much or not.

10 replies
karateka Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 11

I'd charge a minimum of $75 for my area.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 11

A 10 inch cake serves 39 people.* At $2 a serving that's $78, not counting any artwork. Three large 3-d dolphins should be $10-$15 minimum each. < $2 a serving for torted cake with artwork?

Guys, y'know what? My local Kroger grocery store has better prices than some of us.

Only you can prevent people from continuing to try to take advantage of all of us.

~~~~~

Another way to look at it ~~ changing tactics here:

Yes of course $70 is too much what are you thinking? Everybody's prices are going up, we can't fill our tanks with gas, groceries are sky high. Those poor people have a right to celebrate thier occassion paying the least amount of money possible. Yes? No?

Why should they bear the burden for your hard work especially if you don't/won't stand up for yourself.

You owe it to them to sacrifice yourself and your family to provide delicious, fresh, beautiful, made to their specification party food. How dare you expect a fair price for the goods you produce to order.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The audacity of playing fair...not for weenies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our prices are a reflection of our confidence and self worth. The kids are watching.

I encourage you to start thinking about charging more. Practice in the mirror, get the process going. Both of you are letting yourselves get robbed. If those folks won't pay it then make a lesser cake they can afford. Then go find someone who can afford dolphin cake. (Hmm maybe a new flavor?)

*Don't think for a nano second that the hostess won't cut those generous 'party' servings you (give away) calculate into wedding size servings if you provide her with that wiggle room. If the same 10" cake will serve 28 to 39 servings give yourself the break and charge for the 39.

Ask me what I really think.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 11

k8memphis - I love you!

pinkbox Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 11

I have to agree with k8memphis on this one. I have found that as my prices have gone up, so have my clientel. Strange huh?

The types of clients that now order dont balk at any price I give them and I give them the best quality I can. Those who balk... they go to the Grocery Store.

I have 4 kids... I now have perspective that each cake is time away or less sleep. I am worth more... my kids and my husband... are priceless. icon_smile.gif

I wouldn't charge less than $80... especially fb/c of the gumpaste figures.... I charge $20-$25 per tier and up for any gumpaste figures, flowers etc.

As your skills increase... so should your prices. icon_smile.gif

pinkbox Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 11

I also understand that if you are just starting out... you can write this one off as... word of mouth advertising. When I give someone a break (of my own accord)... I ALWAYS tell them

"dont tell anyone what you paid...I put my heart and extra time into this and would have charged anyone else a higher price"

If you know this person will give you good "word of mouth" advertising... then chalk it off as "advertising" costs (wink)

If they will not benefit you in any way... then $80-$85 or more it is.

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

k8memphis - I love you!

Amen, sista!!

My 2-layer 10" cake rate is $3/serving. I use 35 servings (rounded) so this is $105 plus the upcharges for the dolphins, etal.

The cost to make it "is what it is" ... so the price to get it "is what it is".

You cannot base your pricing on what YOU would pay for a cake. I can't figure out how people pay $50 or $80 or more per person for catering .... but it happens every single day. Just because *I* wouldn't pay it ... doesn't mean NOBODY will pay it.

Price is based on raw materials plus labor plus overhead plus profit margin.

Sorry, but if people aren't willing to pay the Cadillac price, then they have to head over to the Saturn dealership instead. The price of the cadillac "is what it is".

Some people can't afford me ... and that's absolutely OK!

karateka Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 11

I stated a minimum price. I base a 10in cake on 30 servings at $2.50 each, so minimum is $75.

I know my area reasonably well, and they don't want to pay doodly squat for cakes. I have a lady in my little burg who is a WMI and president of the local cake club charging less, and have lost (lots of) business to her. So although I haven't lowered my prices to hers, if I charge much more I won't be working AT ALL. And that would end my shop real quick, wouldn't it? I do have to pay for those ads on theknot.com with something, and I doubt my good looks would cover it.

People around here price shop. Now I know they'd want my cakes if I can get them to taste them. But how can I do that if I charge for my tastings and charge 50 cents to a dollar more per serving than the lady down the road?

Not everyone can be Maribelle Cakery and charge upwards of $7 per serving. But I am gratified to know that I'm allowing the rest of the cake eating population to take advantage of every other cake decorator in the states. That makes me feel SUPER.

I'm sorry if that sounds bitchy, but it's a touchy subject for me. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My cakes aren't Duff or Colette quality, so even a several hundred dollar minimum order would guarantee that I never make another cake. Much less something like they charge. So that "increase your prices, it will up your clientele" thing won't fly here.

indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

I have a lady in my little burg who is a WMI and president of the local cake club charging less, and have lost (lots of) business to her.

Now where are all of those folks who keep saying that if they charge a rock bottom price that devalues the value of cakes, they can't see how they are taking business away from anyone?

karateka just pointed out how that works, and it's hurting her. icon_rolleyes.gif

erikamj Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:46am
post #10 of 11

Thanks for all of the input ladies. I am still relatively new at all this and I dont want to undersell my cakes but then I dont want to over price them as well.

2508s42 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:44am
post #11 of 11

karateka...don't undersell yourself. Chant the montra, they are not my clientelle, they are not my clientelle. Let the lady have the cheapos. They are no fun to make anyway. Produce big business quality and what them come in. Are there any private schools there? Those people have money. Donate a cake to their fundraising auction, and include photos and flyers and watch em roll in. Also get involved in your community. Make a cake for the local police station as a free thank you...do something AWESOME, like their badge or duty belt, and watch them come to youfor everything. I did ONE cake for a cop and booked about 8 retirement cakes from it. Just put out a better product, and the money will come.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%