Teapot Gurus... Please Advise! (Or Anybody Else Of Course!)

Decorating By marknelliesmum Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm by mama5kiddos

marknelliesmum Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:42am
post #1 of 6

Hi Folks
Just wondered if you could offer some advice. I'm gonna attempt a teapot cake and just wondered if i need to dowel or add anything else for support. I've done sculpting before ( and don't usually dowel) and am not too worried about getting the shape right - i am just a bit concerned about the support aspect of such a top-heavy shape. Also it has to travel about 60 miles. It will be covered in fondant which will add a bit of support but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

5 replies
tonia3604 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:00am
post #2 of 6

I have done one teapot cake and it turned out quite well (except I hated the color scheme, but that part wasn't up to me!!). I did not use dowels for support. I used a 2.5 quart pyrex bowl to make mine and it was perfect and the fact that the bottom was already flat worked out well. I was also very concerned about transporting it, but it was way more stable than I expected it to be. It traveled well. Also, I used two dowels to attach the handle and the spout. Two in the spout helps to distribute the weight. I would also make the spout as small as possible and hollow it out some near the base of it to reduce the weight. Hope this makes sense.

LeesaMaree Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:52am
post #3 of 6

I made a teapot cake and it was fun.
It was the doll tin (I think you all call it a Wonder Mould) and used fondant for the spout and handle - pics in my gallery.

Used two dowels on either side of the handle and one for the spout, made them long enough so they tucked in really well.

Mine travelled really well too which was a relief!

Good luck and look forward to seeing pics!

Loucinda Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 6

I have made many of them (I use the sports ball pan) and yes, if it is going to travel, I would dowel it. Use the foam core board, that way you can sharpen the dowel and hammer it (gently!) clear into that foam board. It works like a charm.

I also use a firm cake when making mine - a pound cake type cake.

Don't make the handle and spout too big for the size teapot you're making, I think that ruins the look of the cake if they're too large. I use a fondant/gumpaste blend to make mine, and I let them dry a few days before using them. I just use 2 toothpicks in each piece to attach it to the cake (which you put into the pieces where they will have contact with the cake itself)

I have pics of mine in my photos - if you have any other questions, just ask! They always get sooo many comments when they're seen!

marknelliesmum Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys - i'll let you know how i get on! thumbs_up.gif

mama5kiddos Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 6

I made a 3D teapot cake, out of 3 layers of 9" rounds, and carved. I didnt need a dowel. And for an easier handle/spout, you can do as I did, and cut out cardboard (with toothpicks taped where it will insert into the cake) then frost it with buttercream, so it blends in with the cake! A pic of mine is in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%