The Best Way To Ice A Carved Cake...

Decorating By tugboat Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 1:49am by Parable

tugboat Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 8

that has several thin pieces to it. I am making a Chinese throwing star cake and it has 8 thin points to it and I need to know the best way to get in the corners of each point. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid they are going to break...here is a pic of what I am trying to make...
LL

7 replies
tugboat Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:24am
post #2 of 8

Can anyone help me??

Loucinda Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 8

I would use the big icing tip - even with that it may be tough to get into those small spaces.....maybe the taped spatula after the icing tip......? Good luck!

Loucinda Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 8

I would use the big icing tip - even with that it may be tough to get into those small spaces.....maybe the taped spatula after the icing tip......? Good luck!

mamacc Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 8

Ice it with a large basketweave tip...you use it just like the big cake icer tip but it's smaller and easier to maneuver.

Cookie4 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 8

You know, sometimes we just get way too technical about all this cake stuff. May I suggest you use your fingers (either with or without a glove on) and scoop a little icing onto one finger and delicately cover the corners that you are worried about. After the icing crusts you can smooth with the Viva paper towel technique.

Somethin-Sweet Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:38am
post #7 of 8

My suggestion would be to definately have the cake cold-maybe even slightly frozen..........makes it much easier to ice and get sharp corners. If needed, put it back into the freezer after you are done and shape with your fingers. I work mainly with fondant- and I decorate all of my cakes cold........Hope this helps!

Parable Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #8 of 8

I would crumb coat with very thin icing and then chill until firm. Then you should be able to coat with thicker icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%