To Freeze Or Not To Freeze?

Decorating By handymama Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 1:30am by handymama

handymama Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 5

My bakery is just getting started so I'm not doing a lot of cakes. Therefore there isn't often "extra batter" for samples for tastings--and even if there was, there might not be any "tasters". Some bakeries very defiantly proclaim that they would never freeze samples--or cakes--while others do it. Personally, I've not noticed a difference between fresh and frozen, although I don't like the heaviness that can occur with refrigerating. I'd like more experienced bakers/bakery owners to weigh in please. TIA

4 replies
dragonflydreams Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:03am
post #2 of 5

. . . this has been debated in the past . . . MANY bakers actually freeze their cakes "on purpose" . . . http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-240821-freezing.html . . . HTH

cakediva01 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 5

I do a substantial number of wedding cakes and while I don't like to freeze them, I do freeze the larger layers as they are much easier to "flip around" when need be. You will probably get as many opinions as there are bakers. Good luck! birthday.gif

TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 5

You will find answers for both sides of the coin on here. To me it doesn't matter which way you do it. If you freeze, just don't claim that you never freeze. And if you do freeze you don't really have to advertise it either way. icon_smile.gif

handymama Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:30am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the input, and also the link to the other thread. I feel much more comfortable now about freezing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%