Getting My Icing Smooth

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 12:41pm by msnrozier

msnrozier Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:43am
post #1 of 15

I am trying to get a bit of asst on how to ice my cake!!!! everytime I sit down to ice a cake I want to just quite baking!!!

I make the BC first it was stiff but not where it would tear the cake, then I kinda made it very thin, but either way it is always wrong!!

When I turn my turntable it pulls it off the bottom, then I have to KEEP going aroung, they top OMG, when I try to do the top, it's never even, I just can't take it anymore!!! OH and when I let it harden, the wax paper, paper towel trick UMMM no that doesn't work for me neither!!! ugggggggggh

I just want to sit down to ice a cake and it look smooth!!

PLZ Help!!!! icon_sad.gif

14 replies
rvercher23 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:49am
post #2 of 15

Well, lets see. I am not an expert, but here are a few tips. If you make your icing too thick, just add more powdered sugar until it gets thicker. I use a painters scraper to ice my cakes. And no matter what icing I use, I always add alittle bit of meringue powder, like 1 tsp per batch. It just stabilizes it alittle bit more. I first crumb coat my cakes and let it settle in the fridge over night or at least for a few hours. Then I take them out and ice them. I add alot of icing on the cake with a off set spatula, then with my scraper, I just set, and drag it all the way around the cake, where there are spots, I fill them in and them use my scraper again. Don't give up, just keep working at it. Hope I have helped!

ape74 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:49am
post #3 of 15

You're not alone. That happens to me too. I don't know if this happens to you, but I struggle A LOT with the edges that go around the top of the cake. I've posted about this before, lol. Since I'm just starting out, I get a little frustrated because if I can't master the simple method of smoothing the icing, then I'll never master the rest.... icon_cry.gif

jenlg Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of 15

If you tried the paper towel and it didn't about the hot spatula to smooth it? What about the putty knife trick...or whatever they call it? Are you thinning your icing enough so its ''spreadable''?

trishalynn0708 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of 15

If you look on YouTube I found a few videos on icing cakes. One tip they shared is to make sure that the icing comes up the side of the cake over the top. So it kind of builds a little wall on the top/side of the cake. Then you smooth the sides first and then you do the top.

tracey1970 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:56am
post #6 of 15

Melvira, Melvira, Melvira - her method is found here on this site:

I actually use a combination of her method and Sugarshack's (whose DVDs I highly recommend) to smooth my cakes. I still have meltdown moments and times when my icing won't crust well, etc. But I love these techniques.

Sneezie Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:58am
post #7 of 15

I use the Wilton icing tip, if I don't I can't get it even. I don't know if I am right, but in my personal experience if the icing is pulling off it is not thin enough or I am going over it too many times.

banba Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:59am
post #8 of 15

That sounds like tonednas video you should watch her vids she is really good at both explaining and showing.

weddingcake1 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:14am
post #9 of 15

I make my frosting this way 2 sticks of butter or margerine, 1 cup of vegetable shortening, 2 tsps of clear vanilla, 1 - 2lb. bag of confectionary sugar, and 5 to 6 tablespoons of water. Beat the butter or margerine first with the shortening then add the powder sugar, vanilla, and water. I have a 4 quart and 6 quart mixer, kitchenaid. and the shield that goes over it. beat it slow to start then mix faster. It turns out perfect for me. beat it for about 10 minutes. I make a 5 gallon bucket of frosting and it takes 4 of this mixture to fill it. I pile the frosting on top and then go down sides with it. I don't even do the crumb coat thing. try this and see if it works for you. then i smooth it out with my frosting smoother thing it is plastic and let it sit for about 30 minutes to dry then I use viva paper towels and it smooths out it almost looks like fondant. try it and see if it works for you.

weddingcake1 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:17am
post #10 of 15

when I put the frosting on top I use my small wilton off set spatula then I smooth it with the plastic thing ( pictured) after the whole cake is frosted set aside and let it sit for 1/2 hour.

msnrozier Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #11 of 15

Well I don't even use butter, I have been making my BC with just crisco, could that be a problem???

Someone told me that not using butter holds up better!

I am going to get a painter scrapper, cust when I do my half sheet, I can't even get across that cake without making line!! I am getting mad just thinking abt it ! lol

mandifrye Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:58am
post #12 of 15

I by no means am an expert, but I am inclined to advise you to change your recipe. I have used both Indydebi's and Sugarshacks with great results. Yes, a crisco only icing, does hold up better in heat and humidity.

If you want a great tasting, crusting bc, Serious_Cakes has a fabulous recipe, but I learned that it doesn't do so hot in the heat!

If needing the crisco based, I make either of the two listed above. I use a spreadable, but not thin, consistancy. I crumb coat, and let it crust for several hours at least, preferably over night. Then, with well crusted crumb coat, I apply the final coat of bc. I use a bench scraper and an offset spatula. Let it crust and VIVA that baby.

pigninnie Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 15

i have the same problem but i keep telling my self that pratice make perfect well their is a hloe lot of practicing and no perfect

DsLady614 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 8:00am
post #14 of 15
Originally Posted by mandifrye

If you want a great tasting, crusting bc, Serious_Cakes has a fabulous recipe, but I learned that it doesn't do so hot in the heat!

WOW! I'm not sure what kind of heat you're dealing with, but I really disagree with this. I live on Guam, which is ALWAYS hot, at least 80, and always VERY humid. Serious_Cakes icing works PERFECTLY for me. Granted, I haven't taken it to sit outside all day, but we're unlikely to do that here anyway and I'm not sure I'd recommend that with ANY buttercream. However, it does travel just fine, hubby has transported cakes to his office no problem. The humidity doesn't affect the crusting either, which I was actually surprised by.

That said, to the OP, I'd recommend trying this icing. Look on YouTube for Serious_Cakes. She has a video about making her icing, as well as one about smoothing. I've learned a TON. The icing is so good, and crusts beautifully, even here with our weird weather. Honestly, I find getting the icing on the cake and smooth the hardest part, I wish I could get someone to do it for me. But with this new icing, the last two projects have gone MUCH better. Remember, if you make adjustments, one way or the other, do it very small. A little bit of something can make much more difference than you'd think.

msnrozier Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:41pm
post #15 of 15

I will look up serious_cakes, but I will tell you all THANK YOU and I did try the half butter half crisco, and the paint scraper and it worked a lot better!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%