Cake Corners Are Sinking! What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Bossy Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 5:30pm by BakeLoveMom

Bossy Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #1 of 8

I made a Hershey Bar cake for a friend. I leveled the cake after baking. Base coated with buttercream, leveled and smoothed. Then layed on the fondant. My corners sunk icon_sad.gif. This is only my 4th fondant covered cake. What did I do wrong? I also would have liked to have added a satin finish to make the chocolate look more real, but don't know what to use that won't make it to shiney.

Hershey Bar Cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1275635

7 replies
banba Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:47am
post #2 of 8

I am no expert but could the fondant be too heavy for the cake between the buttercream, fondant strips and then fondant layer?

Was it a sturdy type of cake recipe or more spongy?

Still, looks very good and very very yummy icon_smile.gif

Bossy Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:56am
post #3 of 8

It was a mix with added eggs and buttermilk that comes out pretty strong. I think that you are correct about the weight! I guess it pushed the buttercream out from under the fondant layers. I was tryiing to use the buttercream base to get the added depth between the rectangles. I need to try something different next time I need crisp corners. Maybe I should skip the buttercream and just build the depth with fondant. Thanks

kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 8

Try rolling the fondant a bit thinnericon_smile.gif

Bossy Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 8

kakeladi,

Will it still stand up to being molded around the design? I'm guessing that thinning means it will be lighter in weight! Thanks for helping! I want to be able to do crisp edges on some cakes.

kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:53am
post #6 of 8

Usually fondant is rolled 1/4" thick....which is the thickness of the average cake board.
If that is still causing the cake to pull down at the corner try rolling it a bit thinner. Then if you still are having trouble it probably is the cake icon_sad.gif

Bossy Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you kakeladi and bamba. I'm pretty new to doing cakes but have been doing chocolate for 30 years! I found this site 5 years ago and just droooooled! So I started to try out cakes the last year and a half. So many ideas to try, it's overwhelming and no one I have done cakes for wants a traditional easy cake!

BakeLoveMom Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 8

To make mine shinny I put some crisco on my hands and gently rub the finished cake. I do that mostly for purses or cars, but now I can do it for choc. too. Thanks,

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%