It Was Baking Beautifully And Then......

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 11:35am by 2sdae

janelwaters Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 15

the whole darn cake just imploded!

Let me start by saying that I have made this recipe no less than 30 times without any problems always using the pilsbury white cake mix as the starter. I was baking in 8x2 pans with bake even strips at my normal 350 and I have an oven thermometer.

I checked the cake about 1/2 way through and it looked great the batter rose up really well and was just over the rim, then another 20 mins later both cakes just completely collapsed like a bad souffle!

what the HE** happened?!?!?!?!?!?

14 replies
CNCS Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 15

I'm following along I've had it happen only it rose up and split in 5 directions. Looked like like a volcano crater.

janelwaters Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 15

I was really hoping that someone had a great answer for me b/c unfortunately I have to go redo it right now and certainly don't want to make the same mistake again!!!

HELP PLEASE!! I really am starting to FREAK out!! I have to deliver this cake for a birthday first thing in the morning....... s-t-r-e-s-s-e-d!!

I can't believe that your cake split like that! mine looked exactly like a bad soufle (hope I'm spelling that right!) and your like a giant volcano! What is going on in the cake world?!?!? haha

janelwaters Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:09am
post #4 of 15

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Going to take a Zanex! it happened again!!!!!!! I totally don't understand this!! I am going to have to make a different kind of cake for her i guess!! I just really don't understand what happened!!!!!

kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:19am
post #5 of 15

Ok sounds to me like you are having oven problems.
Is your oven elec or gas? I bet elec and one of the elements is burned out.
I prefere BC over Pills any day but it still should not be happening. UNLESS........there is something wrong w/the batch of mix!

janelwaters Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:25am
post #6 of 15

electric oven and the thermometer says that the temp. is fine. Between the 2 caketastrophies I made a 10in of your WASC using the same "lot" of mix and it came out perfect as always. I just don't get it!! i am so tired and really am about to lose it!

I am giving up on the white chocolate recipe and emailed my friend to pick a second choice! Also I was going to make little star wars figures to put on top of the cake (gumpaste) now, I don't have time to do that either.

This is a disaster!

kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:41am
post #7 of 15

Oh I so know how you feel. I am so sorry no one can help you figure this out.
Grasping at straws.......I see you are in FL so there should not be onay problem w/elevation......I'm still thinking that lot of mix might have something wrong w/the formula. Then when you add to it everything goes haywire. I know if you call Pillsburry they most likely will say no one else has complained so it must be something youare doing wrong! icon_sad.gif

janelwaters Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #8 of 15

Thank you so much! I am going to make a different kind of cake - don't know what yet, but I gotta get something in the oven!! I will seriously need to be committed if there is something wrong with my oven!!

sayhellojana Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #9 of 15

Are you using a different brand of any other ingredient? Im not sure what kind of cake you are making, but if it is WASC, the brand of sour cream can effect the cake a bit. Different brands have different amounts/types of cultures and things like that.

janelwaters Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #10 of 15

no, that is why I am so stressed out, I am using everything the same as I always do! I'm starting to think that the pillsbury mix is bad.

it is a white chocolate lovers cake and it is so good!! (usually!)

sayhellojana Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #11 of 15

it much be the mix. Try DH maybe? Walmart sells them for a buck.

Mike1394 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:17am
post #12 of 15

When I first read it my thought was the mix also. I don't use enough mixes to really know enough about them though. OK that being said. The only things that can go wrong is the mix is old, out dated, got moisture in it, and the BP lost some of it's luster. Is this a box, or a big bag of mix?

The other thing copuld be is you whipped it to long. Sort of like the souffle effect. The air got warm gave you the rise you needed, and then poofed itself out.

Mike

janelwaters Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:15am
post #13 of 15

They were regular boxes - puchased no more than a couple weeks ago - 5 total boxes all purchased at the same time - I made a total of 4 cakes with the 5 mixes - 2 white chocolate fell to nothing! and 2 original WASC's turned out perfect (as always!).

Thank you all so much for all of your help - I think I will try the white chocolate again sometime next week to see if I can fix my F up - when I don't have time issues.

Eisskween Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:33am
post #14 of 15

It might be a bad batch of mix. I saw someone mention it on another thread, I think it was Duncan Hines. If that was the mix you used, that may be the problem. The batch was just released recently too.

Hope things get better!
Best,
Karen

2sdae Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:35am
post #15 of 15

what recipe for white chocolate cake are you using? Just curious.....maybe too much white chocolate in it...but I thought you said you'd done this same one before no issues though...ok I am going bonkers with you on this one.... icon_cry.gif
I think maybe the box mix was ill fated and the ingredients in the white chocolate cake are some what different than the wasc cakes, so maybe that combo with the not so hot mix caused this. New mix and another run at it should tell ya...though I am by no means suggesting you try it now.... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%