Chocolate Transfers... Anyone Tried Them?

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 12:52am by fiddlesticks

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 10

I've been looking at chocolate transfers & there are so many cool patterns! I really want to do one, but before I did it, I wanted to see what the general consensus is about them. I'm just wondering who's tried them, if they're easy to use, if they're worth it, and if they look good when finished?

9 replies
lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 10

I mean the chocolate transfer sheets.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 10

I love using them. You can see several examples in my photos, including the wedding cake in my avatar. They're pretty inexpensive and give you a wonderful detailed look! Order some and have fun!

Jodie

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 10

I have some but never used them, i dont know how & it seems hard, can anyone tell me how to do it? thanks

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 10

Shirley W has a great tutorial on CC that explains how to do them. I LOVE using them and am now trying to talk a bride (long time friend) into letting me do that for her wedding cake.

Go For It! You'll love them I bet!

Beth in KY

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #6 of 10

If you're wrapping a round cake, then measure it's height and the distance around. Transfers are sheets of acetate. Cut the transfer to size (I make it a little longer than required....you can always trim the excess). Ice the cake. Melt white or semi-sweet chocolate (depends on the transfer). Lay the sized transfer on a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Be sure you have the right side up! Spread the warm chocolate, gently pressing to make good contact. The chocolate must be warm so the cocoa butter pattern transfers to the chocolate. Try to keep it all the same thickness. Put it in the refrigerator.

Now...the tricky part. You have to wrap the cake after the chocolate is fairly solid (not runny at all), but still soft so it doesn't crack. Wrap the cake and then refrigerate it until the chocolate is firm. Peel off the acetate and trim any edges.

For a square cake you can just measure the "panels" you'll need, cut the transfers to the correct size, follow the steps above but refrigerate them until solid (since they don't have to bend.

I hope this helps!

Jodie

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:11am
post #7 of 10

I love them, but I've never wrapped a cake in them. So far I've just used them with chocolate that I've piped straight onto the sheet in different shapes, then pulled off once they cool and are solid. You can do dots and other shapes and get a neat surface design on them. I wish I could afford to buy more, but the one thing about them is that unless you have someone who wants a particular design, you kind of have to guess about what designs you'll need. There are a lot of cool patterns out there, though.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:20am
post #8 of 10

Well, I'm REALLY wanting to get some Christmas transfers to use on my candy this year, but, don't know if I'll get to them this year or not. I LOVE the holiday transfers! Heck....I just LOVE THE HOLIDAYS!!!

Beth in KY

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:41am
post #9 of 10

I use chocolate transfers for truffles they are so much fun!! If you have the patience for chocolate tempering then that opens your options up quite a bit.

I never thought to use them on a cake , how cool!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:52am
post #10 of 10

Can you share how to use them with truffles ? Thanks !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%