Why Is Everyone So Rude Here?

Lounge By myheartsdesire Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 1:53am by jjkarm

myheartsdesire Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 40

anyone else feel like trash for not knowing something when you ask a question??

39 replies
missmeg Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 40

Not at all - I've always asked questions and receive nice, polite, helpful answers. I'm sorry if you feel as though you've been treated badly here icon_sad.gif.

scrapperjade Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 40

I'm sorry you feel that way! I haven't been here all that long, but I haven't received any rude answers... so far everyone has been friendly and helpful! I hope it gets better for you!

banba Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 40

sometimes discussions can get a little heated here and they can be upsetting put don't let it take anything from you and your enjoyment of cakes and CC that's the main thing.

Just like Van the man said "my momma always told me there'd be days like this"

My gran always says "put your chin up and your best side out"

My grandfather always said "F**K the begrudgers"

MosMom Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 40

The rude people are outweighed by the kind & helpful. Just like any community, there are a few catty apples. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 40

I'm going to assume you're referring to another thread where you asked a question .... and many people came back with lots of helpful information .... and then you asked a question that seemed pretty rude and insulting to one of the responses.

When I read your 2nd question, I swear to you my mouth dropped open .... I couldn't believe someone would be that insulting to a CC'er who is (a) very helpful in every post she puts on here and (b) is on my short list of about 3 people who I consider have a high level of credibility and expertise.

CC is a very helpful site with lots of very helpful folks who are willing to bend over backwards to help everyone, whether the person asking is a novice or an expert. You might try to get to know the folks on here before you pose a question as rude as the one in the other thread.

SaraClassic Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 40

Ditto to Mosmom, few catty apples maybe but even as a newbie I feel Ive gotten polite and courtious (sp?) responces. I do plan on checking your prior post to see exactly what you mean. You may want to do that and see how you feel after reading it to yourself.

JodieF Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 40

Hmmmm...went and read all your posts (including the thread you started saying how nervous you were about a cake and asking for reassurance, which you received), and it looks like most people were very kind and supportive to you. You also mentioned in 2 threads that you're feeling very stressed about life in general. Maybe that has something to do with your bad feelings?
I'm sorry you're feeling that way about CC. But, honestly, is starting a thread like this going to help in any way, shape or form? It's a free country...you don't like the site or the tone of the forums, then don't come here. Save yourself that stress!

leah_s Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 40

I've found the overwhelming maority of people on CC to be very helpful. We all ask questions, me included and there is always someone who has the answer. It's a great community.

SaraClassic Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 40

Ok so I read it... all now like 6 pages. Thats always a hot topic... everyone who is "raining on your parade" are thos who have spent years and thousands of dollars to get the lagal business they have it sounds like. Those who understand whare your coming from are other hobby bakers who just enjoy it and think it would be nice to get a compensation and see if your any good before blowing all that money. So from another newbie here... Im "selling" to family by giving as gifts etc and really getting recognition. My hubby and I plan on getting a business loan but who in their right mind would spend thousands if they turn out to really hate it. So do what you want and maybe next time search for your answer in other posts if you think it may be a "hot topic" . Good luck in your venture, either way you do it.

tarheelgirl Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:23pm
post #11 of 40

I am also a newbie!! I love CC and have always had nothing but a great experience here. I have learned so much and have received help from many CC'ers! thumbs_up.gif

angelatx Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 40

wow, everyone on here overall is so super nice and helpful. sometimes you might get responses if you ask a question, but thats cuz probably the person with the answer hasn't read the thread. just like anything else, their is good with bad, but like the others said, the good on here outweights the bad for sure!!! sorry your not liking it on here. have a great evening everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kjt Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 40

I have to say that you must have REALLY mis-interpreted the tone of the posters...I, too read all of the posts that you were in, and found not even a hint of rudeness. This is a warm, caring, and very giving site. thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #14 of 40

When I saw this question I thought to myself........"Is my daughter on this site?" icon_lol.gif Whenever my DD doesn't get the response she wants from me or my husband we get the (hands on hips) "You guys are soooo rude"! (stomping off to her room now as we're laughing our a$$es off at her)

The last thing any of these ladies and gentlemen are is rude. If you're stressed about something as I have been in the past, these gals and guys ALWAYS make me laugh and feel better. Trying to decide whether or not to open any kind of business is stressful. I think if it's stressing you out this much, you should step back and reevaluate your choice. It's not worth making yourself sick over.

Let's start fresh.............Teresa77, welcome to CC, the greatest cake site where so many wonderfully talented people are more than willing to help you with any type of question. I hope you'll be happy here! icon_smile.gif I am not being sarcastic, I mean every word.

summernoelle Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #15 of 40

If it was the syrup thread you are referring to, then no, noone was rude to you. Most of the time, people here are great. Every now and then you'll get someone being snotty, but overall, it's a great place to come!

julzs71 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:51pm
post #16 of 40

are you posting about yourself?
I didn't notice any other rude tones in other post. I did see some offish comments, but those were yours. However, this is the internet and some things you write don't come out as you mean. Maybe you misinterpreted them wrong. Maybe I misinterpreted yours wrong.

sayhellojana Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

This is a warm, caring, and very giving site. thumbs_up.gif

Exactly! Not only have I never been treated poorly by another CC member, but I'm constantly surprised by how supportive and generous everyone is. I've learned everything I know about cake decorating from this site, as there aren't many Wilton classes in my area. And, since I've been baking for a long time and know my way around that aspect, I've been able to help others in that department. I think thats what makes CC so addicting - it's the kindness that you just don't see in the real world.

costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:06am
post #18 of 40

I had to laugh when I saw the title of your post...Maybe you're thinking that people are rude because you approach them with that attitude! I love this site because there are so many people to draw opinions from...Not everyone agrees with me all the time, but that doesn't make them rude. I'm not trying to get all hippie on you now, but just remember that you get what you give. And karma can be a bitch...

bigmama1961 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:23am
post #19 of 40

I know Ive said something one time to hurt someones feeling and didnt mean to I would never hurt anyone on purpose. because everyone one here is nice and so very helpful. If you ask for help there there to answer and show you how to do it. I love cc. maybe you took it wrong..

MosMom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:23am
post #20 of 40

Of course there is an underlying issue here that I'm clueless about. This is pretty much how I go through life. Clueless to all the drama. Ha! :p

CrazyCakes13 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #21 of 40

I don't post often but when I do I generally find most people are helpful. There are a few rude people and there are discussions that get heated and can take on a not so great tone. But by far my experience has been rather positive. Considering just how many people are on here, I'm generally pretty impressed with the supportiveness of it here. I'm sorry you've not felt that way. I'm not sure what other posts people are referring to, but hopefully you'll stick it out here.

jlsheik Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #22 of 40

Ok just to put in MO.....I have taken 3 wilton classes and a 6wk class on decorating at our local tech school. I have learned more here in a week than in all those classes combined. The people here are helpful, kind and have a wealth of knowledge that I paid good money and didnt get.
I do have one thing to say to the OP.

Don't burn your bridge here new friend....you will need info and you will want to come here to get it... at some point. So lay low...click around....learn from us. But don't stir up the pot with an ugly thread.

Cake_Princess Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #23 of 40

No, but what I do find rude is the people that can find their way to the forums to ask a question but NEVER can find the time to say thank you for the replies they receive. I assume if you post a question then you will come back to get the answer so why is it so hard to say thank you to those that reply?

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:46am
post #24 of 40

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I have always found CC to be welcoming and very informative. I have seen people get upset by others' responses and here's how I look at things:

a) communicating on forums leaves room for misinterpretation because you don't see people's body language or hear their tone of voice. If I find a statement offensive I just assume that it didn't come across the way they intended.

b) CC is like one big family. So I think about my extended family, which is very large. They're all good people but each has their own way of "saying" things. There's Uncle Rick who just says exactly what's on his mind and it always sounds insulting. There's Great Aunt Millie who always smiles and says nice things, even if she doesn't mean them. There's cousin Vicky who doesn't like confrontation so she tries to find humor in everything so no one feels uncomfortable. Then there's Cousin Joe - don't ask him his opinion on something unless you are prepared to handle the honest truth.

I guess what I'm trying to say, without sounding preachy or condescending, is try to keep an open mind. Once you've read enough posts you'll recognize "hot topics" that tend to elicit very passionate responses. I'm not suggesting that you have to walk on eggshells, but just know that some topics are "fiery" than others.

Please don't write off Cake Central based on this experience. I assure you as a newbie myself, you won't find a more comprehensive source of information or a better group of people willing to share information and experiences with you.

Keep your chin up, put this behind you, and have fun!

dragonflydreams Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:48am
post #25 of 40

. . . I suppose sometimes to a new person the way we talk to each other might come across as rude . . . but that's 'cause we are all one big family and we are "familiar" with each other . . . we say what's on our mind, and that might come across "rude" to people who are "new" to the family . . . (until you get to know us) . . . get to know us . . . give us the "benefit of the doubt" and you will learn to love us . . .

I know the thread you are talking about is quite heated . . .

. . . but I also know that something you said in one of your posts on a totally different thread has also been perceived as "rude" . . . I'm sure you didn't intend it to come across that way . . . so we will give you the benefit of the doubt as well (until we get to know you too thumbs_up.gif ) . . .

. . . sometimes communicating in print can be tougher than you might think . . . so, that being said . . . welcome to the "family" . . . you will learn LOTS here as there is a wealth of knowledge and talent . . . and before you know it you will be paying it forward and helping the next newbie on the block . . . icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:10pm
post #26 of 40

Posting a gross generalization such as "why is everyone so rude here?" as your subject line is really not the way to win friends and (positively) influence people.

Also your question in this thread become irrelevant when viewed in the context of the subject line and some of your previous posts in other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERESA77

However, I will address your question...after reading all your posts.

You have asked about starting a home based business in Arkansas in three separate threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-602813-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603592-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607541-.html

It is obvious that you seem to be hoping that if you ask the same question repeatedly you'll get an answer you'll like.... (This wishful thinking appears to have made you extremely resentful of the truth/facts.)

As I don't know how else you could respond to a very helpful and well respected member as "almost hateful with their information" in the above thread.

Also, you were snippy if not downright rude in another thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607427-.html

It is illogical to assume that you can say anything to anyone and then complain that people are being rude to you!

And this new thread was an attempt to garner sympathy from members who would take you at your word, and not check the facts.

Now the whole story is available and each member can come to his/her own conclusion.

Deb_ Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:18pm
post #27 of 40

JanH.............I love you, thanks for saying what we were all trying to, you're awesome. icon_smile.gif

Have a great Friday everyone!
Deb

michellenj Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:18pm
post #28 of 40

Wow! You just called the entire CC community rude in your subject line!

chutzpah Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm
post #29 of 40

JAN RULES!!!!

I also went and read all Teresa's posts, and her calling others rude is most assuredly the proverbial pot calling the kettle black.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:58pm
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Posting a gross generalization such as "why is everyone so rude here?" as your subject line is really not the way to win friends and (positively) influence people.

Also your question in this thread become irrelevant when viewed in the context of the subject line and some of your previous posts in other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERESA77

However, I will address your question...after reading all your posts.

You have asked about starting a home based business in Arkansas in three separate threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-602813-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603592-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607541-.html

It is obvious that you seem to be hoping that if you ask the same question repeatedly you'll get an answer you'll like.... (This wishful thinking appears to have made you extremely resentful of the truth/facts.)

As I don't know how else you could respond to a very helpful and well respected member as "almost hateful with their information" in the above thread.

Also, you were snippy if not downright rude in another thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607427-.html

It is illogical to assume that you can say anything to anyone and then complain that people are being rude to you!

And this new thread was an attempt to garner sympathy from members who would take you at your word, and not check the facts.

Now the whole story is available and each member can come to his/her own conclusion.

JanH you ROCK!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%