Transfering Images To Cakes

Decorating By danizabe Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 2:05am by butterfly831915

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 6

hi my grandougter wants a hanna montana birthday cake,but i dont know how to trasfer the images in butter cream or with the rice paper,or choclolate ,i have seen great job like the lady that did weenie the poo and some others please can iget some instrucions ill be very grateful someone said that you trace the image and them fill it out with buttercream ,any idea icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:24am
post #2 of 6

What was suggested is called a 'frozen buttercream transfer' (FBCT). YOu just put your pic under a piece of glass & cover it w/plastic wrap (must be perfectly smooth). NOw outline the drawing in thick b'cream. Fill in each color of the picture w/slughtly thinner b'cream. Once you have that done, use a tip like maybe 104 to make a couple layers of cicing that completely covers the whole thing. Place in the fzr for several hours (some say overnight; others say NO only a couple of hrs). When cake is ready, take itout of frz and immeadiately lay it on the cake and peel off the plastic wrap.
Yes, it will be thick and stick up above the cake.

What about the other suggestion offered in your original post? Cut pix out of magazines & sandwich between contact paper. I've use similar methods yrs ago when I was new at decoratingicon_smile.gif It makes a great cake much easier for someone who doesn't know much about decorating.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:20am
post #3 of 6

There is a tutorial of a fbct on this site under Articles. I have two in my photos - the Little Mermaid and the jungle scene. I also currently have one in my freezer for a Hallowe'en cake I'm making this week. If you have any questions, I can try and help you.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:44am
post #4 of 6

Also, if you'd like to not be so thick and smooth into the cake more, you can just do the outline and fill in with a #2 tip, carefully lift the plastic wrap and place it onto your cake. Then stick the whole cake in the freezer for about 20 minutes before you peel off the plastic wrap(very carefully). The only down side is that since the icing is still so soft, you need to have someone there to help you hold it taught when you flip it onto the cake so it doesn't get smooshed(very technical term icon_lol.gif). But it's quicker since you don't have to wait hours for it to freeze. Anyway, just another option. Do whatever is easiest for you. I have a few in my photos if you'd like to see how they turned out. Hope this helps!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:54am
post #5 of 6

Everything you ever wanted to know about the different methods of transferring images to cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5925223-.html

HTH

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #6 of 6

if it is not necessary for it to be actually icing check my photos, I have a hannah montana cake that I did and then the girl ended up with stuff to use. (and it was a lot less work) icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif she loved it and was excited that once the cake was gone she still had a little something extra.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%