A Question About Royal Icing

Decorating By ape74 Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 3:45am by TexasSugar

ape74 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 7

Yet, another question from the newbie here. icon_biggrin.gif I heard that royal icing is actually better than buttercream for making flowers. How true is that? Does it also work with roses or just other types of flowers. Just curious. Haven't experimented with royal icing, but from what I hear, it is often used for flowers and I want to start practicing for my mother's bday cake. If so, what tips can you offer? Thanks!

6 replies
cakedout Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 7

Royal Icing does work wonderfully for flowers. It just depends on what you want to do and your personal preferences.

Royal works for when you want to make hard decorations or flowers made days or weeks in advance.

buttercream is great for piping as you go. Some buttercream flowers can be piped in advance and air-dried as well, although they will be much more fragile that RI flowers.

kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 7

Royal flowers are much to hard to eat! One could break a toothicon_sad.gif
Royal roses will take several days to dryicon_sad.gif And you *must* be sure they are dry or they will soften and spoil!
95% of flowers can be made with air drying buttercream and be totally edible. Actually air dried b'cream is royal w/1/2 cup Crisco added so you get the best of both worlds....soft, edible flowers that one can handle.

millermom Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #4 of 7

After the RI flowers sit on a BC cake for awhile, they become soft again, although it is a different texture.

It is such a preference thing, though. You really have to experiment with both.

butterfly831915 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:09am
post #5 of 7

glad someone asked this question....

ape74 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #6 of 7

Thanks again for your responses. I guess I will just have to experiment with both. I will make my mom's bday cake with buttercream and then I will take my time to practice with royal icing. icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:45am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

95% of flowers can be made with air drying buttercream and be totally edible. Actually air dried b'cream is royal w/1/2 cup Crisco added so you get the best of both worlds....soft, edible flowers that one can handle.

So that recipe would be...

1/2 cup crisco
1lb powder sugar
3 Tablespoons Meringue powder
5-6 Tablespoons water

Is that correct? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%