Bread Bakers - What Do/would You Charge?

Business By tdybear1978 Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 10:02pm by Mike1394

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make 6" long sub bread and I am curious as to what other people charge for this. They are wanting approx. 100 loaves to start out with and then increase to about 250. It would be just a basic white bread. What do you think?

7 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 8

A few things that decide it for me: 1) cost of ingredients used per recipe, 2) how much that recipe produces, 3) how much I want paid per hour to bake it.

For example (mind, this is a quick bread recipe): My banana bread recipe makes 1 loaf and costs around $5-6 dollars in ingredients. I pay myself $8/hr, and it takes around 20-30minutes for me to mix and place in the oven. I sell my banana bread for $10/loaf.

Granted, you're going to be working with yeast breads, so the ingredient costs will be lower per batch/loaf (since it's mostly flour). I'd figure in all the active time you're working on it too. My pototo rolls (yeast rolls) sell for $4/dozen due to ingredients and my time (the recipe also makes 2 dozen).

Work it how you see fit. You might want to also case a few bakeries in your area and see what they are charging. My guess would probably be around the $2-3 range per 6" loaf though.

Good luck and congrats on the business offer icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 8

for my normal dinner rolls that I do - I charge $5.00 per dozen (they are a pretty good size dinner roll) so I was thinking about something like $10 per dozen on the 6" loaves (that including a discount for ordering from me on a reg. basis in that quanity) does that sound okay?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

for my normal dinner rolls that I do - I charge $5.00 per dozen (they are a pretty good size dinner roll) so I was thinking about something like $10 per dozen on the 6" loaves (that including a discount for ordering from me on a reg. basis in that quanity) does that sound okay?

You talking about an 7-8oz roll? Are you running by hand, or through a sheeter? Without running hard #s 10 sounds like a real good price. If you can get it run with it. I mean it should only take an hour of actual work time most of it will be bench, and proof time.

Mike

tdybear1978 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 8

does $10 sound to high? The 6" inch loaves (that I made for practice today) were approx. 6ounces. I am doing this by hand no sheeter. It took me about 15 min. to get about 15 done

Mike1394 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 8

Just a quick math thingy that should be 37.5#s of flour, 100 is 8.33333 dz. The timing will get faster. You should be able to knock out 100 in less than 1/2 hr. I know that sounds fast right now, but once you get going it will go rather fast. With roughly a 3/4 hr bench rest, portioning about 20 min. rough form and rest an hour, once you get the last one done the first ones should be rested enough so that would be like a continuous thingy. That's what my timing would be. So I'm just basing it off of that. All of that is depending on oven capacity so you don't get caught in an over proof situation. Do you have sheet trays for these? Your looking at a dz per tray roughly for easy count.

The other thing are they seeded? If you are seeding put your seeds in a tray, and wet them down, then give your roll a dunk.

As far as price it depends on your cost, speed. Like I said though it does sound like a good price to me.

Mike

tdybear1978 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 8

I have a tray that can hold 15 at a time and my oven can hold 3 trays at a time. No seeds. If $10.00 sounds good then I will stick with that I just want to make sure that I am not completely ripping myself off and that they won't be like "wow, that is expensive"

Mike1394 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

I have a tray that can hold 15 at a time and my oven can hold 3 trays at a time. No seeds. If $10.00 sounds good then I will stick with that I just want to make sure that I am not completely ripping myself off and that they won't be like "wow, that is expensive"

I don't think your ripping yourself off. It's going to come down to how much your flour cost is. My area it's running roughly .50 a pound. Before I gave a final quote I would check some other bakeries to see what they would offer as a gage to see what the market is. Then it will come down to whether, or not you want the business. It does sound like a nice steady income though.

Good luck wish you the best.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%