How Do I Get A Florida Home License??

Business By eliza3ame Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm by eliza3ame

eliza3ame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eliza3ame Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 13

I am from Florida, I was wondering if you know what is required to have home license, so far I have only bake and decorated cakes for my friends and family and havenât charged, because I figure itâs a leaning process, but I would love to sell the cakes, any advice on how to promote the cakes and obtain a license.

12 replies
tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 13

Unfortunatley, the Department of Agriculture will not issue a license to a home cake business in Florida. The Dept. of Ag will only approve a home kitchen if it is separate your living area with its own access. The downside to this is most Homeonwer's Association covenants and restrictions don't permit home businesses. If you can't afford a commercial space, you can always look into renting kitchen space from a church or daycare. I wish you luck!!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 13

Eliza---

We're only exploring ideas right now because we work out of a kitchen in a bistro. However, we've thought about the possibility of converting our garage into a professional kitchen. It meets the requirements of a separate facility other than the kitchen used for home cooking and we've thought about putting in a door on the side, anyway. We've learned, so far, that a temporary wall can be put up in the area where the garage door is so you don't have to worry about closing up the garage door (in case you move).

Paul & Peter

eliza3ame Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 13

Thank u so much!! thumbs_up.gif

tcakes65 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:11am
post #5 of 13

Sounds all well and good. However, the Dept. of Ag. requires a public access, handicap restroom that is separate from the home. It's more complicated than converting a garage. You may want to contac the Dept. of Agriculture before investing into remodeling of or addition to your home.

eliza3ame Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 13

Sounds bad, I don't think I will be able convert the garage with all the requirements, I will have to find commercial kitchen for rent or something, Iâm really disappointed. I suppose I could keep doing it as a hobby maybe one day I would be able to make it. Thanks for all the info. icon_cry.gif

tcakes65 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 13

Don't give up! Seriously, contact the Dept. of Ag and see what the exact requirements would be for a garage conversion. They could be willing to work with you. You never know. Like I said before, you should definitely research renting a space from a church, preschool, maybe a caterer. With today's economy, there may be people out there willing to share the rent. Try not to get discouraged, and there's nothing wrong with continuing baking for family and friends while saving money or waiting for the right opportunity. Again, good luck.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #8 of 13

that is what i do... not only do i no have to renovate my house but that way i can keep my prices low...

rent from your church or a school

CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #9 of 13

Yup. When the military moved us to Florida, I gave up my business. It stinks the big one.

eliza3ame Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you so much for the ideas. icon_biggrin.gif

eliza3ame Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:09pm
post #11 of 13

Another questions, do I need a license to bake at a church or school?
Can I use their license?

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza3ame

Another questions, do I need a license to bake at a church or school?
Can I use their license?

You do still have to get licensed with the State of Florida whenever you are selling Food. You also have to get a Food Manager's Certification. Call the Dept of Agriculture to see all the steps it takes to get licensed. They will help you!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

eliza3ame Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 13

I really appreciate your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%