Football Halmet Instructions

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 12:38am by tame

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 9

I have been asked to make a football halmet would anyone be willing to share their instructions with me I would like to use the sports ball pan it will be on top of a sheet cake Thank You in advance

Molly

8 replies
bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 9

I would also like to know. My sons birthday is this Sunday and he wants a football theme.

TIA
Karen

cutelove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutelove Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 9

did you try the forum Im also going to make it so I looked it up

cutelove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutelove Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 9

sorry its the search to look it up

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 9

Here's one I did, and have done several others...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=128473

The instructions I originally used for this cake, was from an article in American Cake a couple years ago - but this is what I did:
(Unfortunately, I can't remember the size of my pans, but I believe I did this cake out of 9" or 10" rounds ?!)

I used 4 layers (top layer can be smaller cake, as you will carve most of it) - and I think you can use any size, depending on how many you want to serve, yet keeping it in somewhat to scale...

I iced two layers. Then put several dowels in half of the cake (you're going to carve out the other side, where the face guard is going to be.) Then put on a cardboard round. (Note: I trimmed the cardboard slightly before, so that it was have the shape of the helmet, they're not exactly round) - you're going to carve the cake when it's all stacked and done. Then put on the other two cake layers (icing in between). You could freeze at this point, I did not. Carve the top / sides to resemble shape of helmet. Once done, crumb coat the whole cake.

After crumb coating, cut the bottom 2 layers out, where the face guard will go (obviously cut where the dowels aren't!), and I put a couple of sharpened dowels down through the top of the cake to hold everything in place. Iced w/ buttercream and then covered the whole cake w/ fondant. I cut a seperate piece of fondant to cover the "inside" of where the face guard is (it was basically to cover up imperfections).

In advance, you're going to want to make the face guard out of fondant or gumpaste. I also used a wire in it, for support. I didn't have a template, I just used the shape of the round cake (next size smaller than your actual cake), and let dry for a few days. When dry, and cake is ready, I literally just stuck it into the cake. The top one was supported by a couple smaller pieces (dividers) and held everything together.

For this cake, I airbrushed all the color. If you need any more help, you can pm me!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 9

Great instructions and Awesome cake! I've been wanting to try one of these, too.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 9

Great instructions! Thanks for posting.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:33am
post #8 of 9

Thank You so much for all you help I love you cake

Molly thumbs_up.gif

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 12:38am
post #9 of 9

cakesbyallison, thanks i have that book also the instruction look difficulty, i look at your photos and you do a wonderful job keep up the good work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%