I Love This Idea, But Have A Few Questions On How To Do It.

Decorating By drewsmommy Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 10:31am by deliciously_decadent

drewsmommy Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 6:05am
post #1 of 4

Forgive me if there is a post that explains this already. I lurk on CC like nobody's business, but obviously don't post all that often and am still getting used to the endless topics a "search" brings up. icon_confused.gif

I love the idea of the round cake up on end like this: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_50442.html and would love do something like this for an anniversary/birthday cake for a friend of the family - but have a few questions bouncing around my head....

I'm assuming that if I wanted to torte it, it would most definitely have to be horizontal - and then at least two dowels, right? Also, how easy is do you think it would be to transport and then cut this cake? My father is the one who will be delivering (and probably cutting) it and if it's not steady or really secure on the cake board, I'm sure he'll stress out. And as it is, he didn't want any sort of stacked cake that he would need to do any "tricky cutting" on. I think he's already a little nervous because he kept hinting at a sheet cake. icon_biggrin.gif

So, any suggestions you have for doing something like this? And please, state the obvious because I have an *idea* of how it should be done, but could very well be leaving out something very crucial.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
oilili Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:43am
post #2 of 4

Sorry, I can't help but it is a great cake. Have you tried sending a PM to the person who's done it?

kakeladi Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:57am
post #3 of 4

Here's a suggestion to help out your father: place a small round like this on a sheet or other base cake. That would help secure it better.
To get it to stand up, you just cut a small piece off one side of the round (think cutting it in 1/2 but just take a small amount off). As for filling - if it is a stiff filling (b'cream based) you can do it like any other torted cake then use a few straws to help hold it together.
Ice the cake, then stand it up on the base cake and anchore it w/two dowels; straws OR kabob sticks all the way thru to the cake board.
The base cake doesn't need to be 4" tall.....2" will do just as well.
OR make the base styro.

deliciously_decadent Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 10:31am
post #4 of 4

looks like that is a half round cake, my advise to make it dad proof icon_biggrin.gif would be to make it thicker thus preventing it 'tipping over' so i would (JMOT icon_razz.gif ) make the full cake then torte the two halves together so that it is quite thick and strong but you still getting the half circle look. also i have heard (not tried personally) people placing skewers through the cakes on 45 degree angles to join the two sides together and prevent the stwo sides slipping away from the torting. to cut i would just tell dad to tip it back so it is a flat half cirlce cake and cut as normal. hope i helped!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%