Colouring Chocolate?

Decorating By deliciously_decadent Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 11:01am by deliciously_decadent

deliciously_decadent Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 4

this is such a stupid question and i am sure i should have covered this back in decorating 101 (must have been absent that day lol!!) but how do you colour chocolate? tried the idea of choc plaque/transfer the other day for the first time (yes i know what rock have i been under?? but have never needed to make one!) and i tried powder colour and paste colour and both made the choc all grainy and terrible! is there a certain colour or a way to do it? i though the paste colour wouldn't work thats why i tried pwder first but i am baffled! any sugestions? also if anyone is willing to tell me the how to's for it i would greatly appreciate it, or a thread to somewhere that can help? thanks guys

3 replies
ski Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:53am
post #2 of 4

Wilton makes candy color, just use it in white choc, thin it done a bit with karo and paint on your mold before filling it in.

cocobean Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:56am
post #3 of 4

You should color chocolate with oil based color used in candy making. If you use regular color it will seize the chocolate because it is water based. I've heard you can add shortening to your regular coloring to make it so you can add it to the melted chocolate. I tried this, the chocolate still got kind of thick. I think the oil based color works the best!

deliciously_decadent Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:01am
post #4 of 4

i new that would be a problem with the paste but i thought powder colour would not do that (obviously i was wrong icon_biggrin.gif ) so i am in australia, what is karo? i didn't mean the mould either i was talking about piping the pictures onto plastic/ baking paper to make a plaque/ transfer like the frozen BC plaques/transfers, candy colours. i am not sure if i can get that here. i will look into it though thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%