How Did You Get Started?

Business By absijails Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 2:58pm by cakedout

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:13am
post #1 of 2

Right now I'm a SAHM, with two small children. I started decorating cakes because I needed something to do and the Wilton classes seemed like fun.

Eventually I'd like to have a business. My husband's job moves us around quite a bit now, but we're wanting to settle somewhere within the next five years.

So a business is definitely down the road a ways for me...but I'm curious. What's your story? How did you get started? What road blocks did you hit? What was your greatest business booster? What's the best and worst part of owning your own business?

1 reply
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 2

Waaaaaaaay back in the day I was a SAHM too. I always loved baking and weddings, and had taken the basic classes at a local shop. I worked in bakeries for about 4 years- got LOTS of practice! thumbs_up.gif

Eventually we moved to a location where my husband had his own business and I was able to stay at home. That's when I got more involved in ICES (International Cake Exploration Societe) and our state cake club, and took some professional classes.

I started just doing some basic advertising and slowly built up a small clientele base and worked with 2 hotels to supply wedding cakes for their "wedding reception package" deals. It was a business that just slowly evolved- I never did a business plan or marketing reasearch, etc...just "put out my shingle".

After a few years we renovated the house and added a small bakery. That was livin'! icon_lol.gif I would have loved to go to a store front, but at the time my husband's business came first-so my plans always took a back seat.

But having the in-home business was the best of both worlds. I was able to do all the "mom stuff", while having a rewarding business. 'Course, my business did interfere with family time during the busy season...and the kids always joke about putting up a picture of the Rankor Beast from Star Wars on the bakery door with the caption: "Get outta the bakery!" icon_lol.gif

We've now sold my husband's business and moved to a smaller house, plus my hands are giving out due to tendonitits...so I've closed the business and am back to "hobby" status. And I had to get a "real " job. icon_sad.gif

Happy decorating to you! And good luck in your future business endeavors!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%