Toba's Glace Or Antonia's Ri?

Baking By vmertsock Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm by amytaylor23

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:23am
post #1 of 5

I'm making cookies for a party this Saturday and have heard so much about these two recipes I'd like to try one. What is the difference? I have used RI before and it typically dries too hard for my taste unless eaten within a few hours. I don't have time to frost them all Saturday so I'd be baking tomorrow, probably icing on Friday, possibly tomorrow. Does Antonia's stay soft enough and keep the cookie fresh enough to taste good on Saturday? They will be stacked so I want something that will dry enough to not make a mess, which is why I wondered about the Glace. Is it too soft? Also, when letting the cookies dry over night, do you cover them? I've only ever done this for show, or on cakes, never cookies meant for eating. I'm using my grandmothers sugar cookie recipe that usually keeps well for a couple days but I put them in zip top bags too.

4 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:47am
post #2 of 5

I use a variation of Toba's (it's really just about quantities) and I love it. I like being able to mix it up by hand in a bowl (3 cups sifted powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons skim milk, 3 tablespoons corn syrup, 15 drops brite white food color). I can easily make more or less, keeping the proportions the same. If I want it thicker, I just add more powdered sugar. If I want if thinner, I just add more corn syrup. It dries firm to the touch, so the cookies are stackable, but it never gets rock hard. I think it might take longer to firm up than Antonia's, but I'm not sure on that. There are many, many fans of Antonia's, so whichever you decide on, I don't think you'll go wrong!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 5

I really like Antonia's royal but have used Toba's as well. I find if you want to do shading(like kneadacookie's amazing work) Toba's is better for that.
I have had no issues leaving the cookies to dry on racks overnight.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 5

I was just wanting to post this question, thanks Vmertsoc! I had always used RI, not Antonio's, it was like 6 cups PS, three tbs meringue powder, then water and vanilla, so it may have been less meringue power than antonio. I never really liked the way it got so hard, and it had kinda chalky taste. So when I tried TG, I was in love! But so many people use RI, wondering what I'm missing out on using just TG. I thicken it up for outlining and thin it down for flood, just like RI users. Pros and cons?
Gemini, I've been thinning my TG down with water, sounds like I should be using CS (sorry, folks, I'm a court reporter, shortening words comes natural)
Thanks gang!

amytaylor23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytaylor23 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 5

I have always used a powdered sugar glaze (powdered sugar, water and flavoring) to fill in and color my cookies, let them dry and then used royal icing for all the details and outlining. This way the royal icing is easier to eat.

I recently tried both Toba's and Antonia's recipes on my most recent cookies and loved them both. I will most likely always this combo in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%