Need To Make Cake With Monogran Letters!

Decorating By diana83 Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 12:40am by deliciously_decadent

diana83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana83 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 13

i need to put like 4 letters on top of cake for tomorrow thursday and i had bought some letter mold from country kitchen but i try it just now and it does not seen to work, i try chocolate too but it is to thin it will break and the fondant is the same, i am freaking out because i just don't have any time and i can't drive!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gif the wanted the letters to stand up but i guess i'll just put them laying dow on top, if i can get a template, or some tips... pretty please need help! icon_surprised.gif

12 replies
Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 13

Sorry, I can't help but is interested in this Letter molds. how does it work, like normal molds?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 13

How about baking cookie letters on lollipop sticks? You could ice them in fondant (no drying time needed) or in royal icing (dry by tomorrow) and they will slide right into the cake to stand upright.

You can cut them with cutters if you have them, or just by hand with a paring knife for a specific size/font.

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 13

Cookies sounds like an idea with the time limit. how about you use flower paste or pastilage in the mould, put it in the freezer for a while before you take it out of the mould and then let it dry under a blue light. Or any light that give off a lot of heat.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 13

If you look in my pix, I did a monogrammed cake using colorflow. If it's due tomorrow, make a batch of royal icing (or colorflow if you have it,), make several letters and let dry in the oven overnight with just the light on (no heat.) Then gild with lustre dust and vodka or lemon extract. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 13

You can also try putting toothpicks in the bottom to get them to stand up on the cake.

If you use cookies try toothpicks or bamboo skewers if you have them. Make sure you ice both sides if you use cookies.

HTH

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 13

You can also pipe out candy melts, piping over a skewer so you can stick them in the cake. Candy melts set up fast icon_wink.gif.

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 13

I would go the cookie route. I have done this making sugar cookies (from scratch) and covering them in Royal Icing. I would use loliepop sticks or even popsicle sticks if you have them (to help them stand up in the cake). I have tried using tooth picks and they are just not sturdy enough and eventually cause the monogram to lean )or even fall over). HTH

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:19am
post #9 of 13

i am very into gumpaste letter at the moment! either pushing out sausage pieces from a clay gun and shaping them or printing out letters on the computer and using them as a stencil to cut out gumpaste and leave to go har overnight then insert heated wire for support, i am working on a 10th bday cake right now with these tyoe of letters i will post it when i am done

diana83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana83 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 13

Well is pretty much like the wilton candy molds, but the letter came out pretty thin.

deliciously_decadent Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 13

could you strenghten them with wore or skewers attached to the back that would also give you something to insert in the cake? just a thought

deliciously_decadent Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:28am
post #12 of 13

ok so here is the cake i was refering to, not a brilliant shot of the letters but you get the idea, my camera batteries died right after this shot whe i was doing the close up of the letters for you guys, so the cake is for tomorrow arvo so will try and get batteries and take a better pic of the writting in the mean time here it is:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1279482[/quote]

deliciously_decadent Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:40am
post #13 of 13

here are the letters:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%