How Much Cake Batter?

Decorating By catin Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 2:35am by kakeladi

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a 11x15 2 layer white cake and I'm confussed how how much batter I will need .

I purchased the bulk batter mix from the local Bulk Barn and the instructions are clear on what to use but don't give you any specific # of cups for a 11x15 .

Can someone help ...i was planning on baking it tonight .

Thanks

Julie

8 replies
UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 9

I'm a cheater and use two boxes of cake mix. I'm not even sure if that helps - hope it does icon_confused.gif

kittimami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittimami Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 9

I have same question.. Im making a 4 tiered 2 layers each (this is for a friend's husbands 40th) Im soo nervous making such a large cake. I plan to use cake mix and homemade if that will work... I also am not sure about the amounts of icing.... Thankyou Kitty

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 9

How about if you fill your pan with water to the level you would nornally use for cake batter. Measure the water & that will give you the # cups of batter needed. ... I've never tried it. The idea just popped in my head. icon_smile.gif

catin Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 9

Hey you know TCarra , that is a great idea ...I think I will try it ...and let you know .

catin Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 9

I just re read the nstructions and it states that 3 cups of dry batter with water and oil will make enough for 2 8" cakes . So now its to figure out if I use 6 cups of the dry batter with the amount of water and oil needed (x2) to make enough for the 11x15

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 9

according to the Wilton Pan batter amounts a pan 11x15
needs 11 cups of batter.

I found that this is a large amount of batter, it fills it more than halfway. I would probably cut it back to 9 cups.
I hope this helps!

Danielle

catin Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you Danielle ,

I tried doubling the amount directed on the instructions and it worked ... I ended up with the proper amount to fill the pan half way .

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:35am
post #9 of 9

Fill any pan 2/3rds full of batter. If you use a ruler that would be about 1 & 1/2" deep.
For that size pan (11x15x2) I would use 2 mixes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%